Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Lemon Card

tag
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

The New Lemon Card

I just received my new platinum Visa, Orchard Bank Lemon card in the mail... my old OB Platinum Elite expires this month and a new card was sent. I was hoping the new card would say Capital One or at the very least, be a relatively plain black card like the current one. What I received was the Lemon Card. It's all types of special! It's horrible ugly, bright, and adorned with what appears to be sliced lemons or citrus fruit (quite a change from plain black). It is not branded with either banks name, neither Capital One or Orchard Bank. In very small print on the back, it reads 'Issued by HSBC.' Thank god it's a replacement for a socks drawer card because I would be to embarrassed to ever use it in public!

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: The New Lemon Card

@GST2008 wrote:
I just received my new platinum Visa, Orchard Bank Lemon card in the mail... my old OB Platinum Elite expires this month and a new card was sent. I was hoping the new card would say Capital One or at the very least, be a relatively plain black card like the current one. What I received was the Lemon Card. It's all types of special! It's horrible ugly, bright, and adorned with what appears to be sliced lemons or citrus fruit (quite a change from plain black). It is not branded with either banks name, neither Capital One or Orchard Bank. In very small print on the back, it reads 'Issued by HSBC.' Thank god it's a replacement for a socks drawer card because I would be to embarrassed to ever use it in public!

I guess it's the same as calling a car a "lemon" Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 23
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

since they were bought by capone can't you go online and change the picture on the card.  I thought all capone allowed you to design your own card.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 3 of 23
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

They normally do, but with this card it just different pictures of lemons you can get.  You can get a picture of a whole lemon, sliced lemons, a picture of a girl eating a lemon with a grimace on her face, and of course a picture of yellow Pinto which has a pitcher of lemonade on the hood. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 23
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

This might be crazy advice but someone once told me that the terms of the cardholder agreement and things such as annual fee, interest, etc can sometimes be more important than what a card looks like. I think they said something like don't judge a book by its cover. A really brave person may be even able to buck the social pressure associated with pulling out a card that was not as stylish as others if the terms were right. 

I mean I bought the 200 dollar costco membership even though there isn't a costco in my state just so I could get the cool looking costco amex. I figured maybe someday if I ever happen to lose my wallet or open it up in front of a stranger it would just be a terrible fashion faux pas to not have that gorgeous costco amex card in 'there for all to see that american express warrior guy's profile in aquamarine...

Message 5 of 23
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Well, no need to be sour... When life hands you a lemon - make some lemonade.Smiley Tongue

How about a lemon joke:

The local bar was so sure that its bartender was the strongest man around that they offered a standing $1000 bet:

The bartender would squeeze a lemon until all the juice ran into a glass, and hand the lemon to a patron.

Anyone who could squeeze one more drop of juice out would win the money. 

Many people had tried over time (professional wrestlers, longshoremen, etc.), but nobody could do it. 

One day this scrawny little man came in, wearing thick glasses and a cheap suit, and said in a tiny, squeaky voice, “I’d like to try the bet.” 

After the laughter had died down, the bartender agreed, grabbed a lemon, and squeezed away.

Then he handed the dried, wrinkled remains of the rind to the little man. 

But the crowd’s laughter turned to total silence as the man clenched his fist around the lemon and SIX drops fell into the glass. 

As the crowd cheered, the bartender paid the $1000, and asked the little man, “What do you do for a living? Are you a lumberjack, a weight lifter, or what?” 

The man replied, “No, I work for the IRS.”

Smiley Very HappySmiley LOL

Message 6 of 23
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

This might be crazy advice but someone once told me that the terms of the cardholder agreement and things such as annual fee, interest, etc can sometimes be more important than what a card looks like. I think they said something like don't judge a book by its cover. A really brave person may be even able to buck the social pressure associated with pulling out a card that was not as stylish as others if the terms were right. 

I mean I bought the 200 dollar costco membership even though there isn't a costco in my state just so I could get the cool looking costco amex. I figured maybe someday if I ever happen to lose my wallet or open it up in front of a stranger it would just be a terrible fashion faux pas to not have that gorgeous costco amex card in 'there for all to see that american express warrior guy's profile in aquamarine...

I just got the American Prepaid Card for the same reason.  Unless you flip it over, then no one knows it isn't a credit card and I don't have to not look unfashionable.  I also hide the Marathon Visa Card for the same reason.  It is one ugly card, even if it does have my lowest interest rate, the card is a nightmare to look at.  I do use it for things, but I hide it.  (Besides the rate being best, the rewards are simply gas rebates, so I can't really take advantage of that.  Florida doesn't have many Marathon stations.)

Actually, I didn't get the Amex Prepaid for the fashion, I got it because I heard that if you have it, it becomes easier to get a real Amex.  I read in another post last year that they had a prepaid card and not much credit history and even a few baddies, but once Amex got to know their habits and them they offered them a card.

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 23
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

@dddewdrop wrote:

I just got the American Prepaid Card for the same reason.  Unless you flip it over, then no one knows it isn't a credit card and I don't have to not look unfashionable.  I also hide the Marathon Visa Card for the same reason.  It is one ugly card, even if it does have my lowest interest rate, the card is a nightmare to look at.  I do use it for things, but I hide it.  (Besides the rate being best, the rewards are simply gas rebates, so I can't really take advantage of that.  Florida doesn't have many Marathon stations.)

Actually, I didn't get the Amex Prepaid for the fashion, I got it because I heard that if you have it, it becomes easier to get a real Amex.  I read in another post last year that they had a prepaid card and not much credit history and even a few baddies, but once Amex got to know their habits and them they offered them a card.

Really? Do you still have a link to that post or can you offer any evidence to support that? When I was recently rejected for an amex green card (EX score of 648), they emailed me an offer for a prepaid card. I chose not to. If I got a prepaid card i would get the baby phat one. It has aweful fees but it makes me look like I am dating a rapper video vixen and she left her card in my wallet. 

Message 8 of 23
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

@bernhardtra wrote:

@dddewdrop wrote:

Really? Do you still have a link to that post or can you offer any evidence to support that? When I was recently rejected for an amex green card (EX score of 648), they emailed me an offer for a prepaid card. I chose not to. If I got a prepaid card i would get the baby phat one. It has aweful fees but it makes me look like I am dating a rapper video vixen and she left her card in my wallet. 

No I don't have a link, it was last year I read that.  Maybe they offered that up so they could get to know you?  Were you borderline for approval?        There is a price to pay to look like you are dating a Rapper Video Vixen!

Message 9 of 23
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

^^^^^^^^

Notes sarcasm above...! Smiley Wink

However, aesthetics are a factor in one's choice of card.  For some it may be a major factor, for others, a minor factor.  Aethetics are a part of the equation in nearly every consumer product purchase, whether consciously or subconsiously.  For example, one's choice of cars to drive (speaking of lemons).  One can research them, read reviews, test drive them, but in the end, if it's down to a choice between 2, aesthetics...the physical appeal...plays a part in the decision. 

Same is true with credit cards.  One can read about the benefits, what services are provided, what the customer service is like, but when all is said and done, can you really say that the appearance of a card is NOT a factor?  Would Centurion be as successful if it were not an attractive card as well?  Same with CSP or Palladium, or some of the other "sexy" cards out there.  Would they be successful if they were ugly?  Their physical attractiveness is a part of the whole marketing of the card and can be a motivator to choose that card.  Should it be the only reason?  Of course not!  But we are humans, humans are very visual by nature, so we choose a product (car, credit card, laundry soap, television, etc) that meets our needs and is also attractive.  It's just the way we are...

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.