Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ONLY Card You'll Ever Need !!

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: The ONLY Card You'll Ever Need !!

Tech support said that an update will be sent to those that currently have it. And in a few weeks when it's finalized, all new units will already be EMV compatible. 

Message 21 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still liking the Plastc card better as it has a display on card.

Message 22 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Tech support said that an update will be sent to those that currently have it. And in a few weeks when it's finalized, all new units will already be EMV compatible. 

I have no doubt that they told you an update is coming but like a lot of these upstart companies they always don't deliver what they promise.  Weeks turn into months.  Months into years.   Guess we will see as they certainly aren't going to tell people that it's never going to be compatible and you're wasting your money.

Message 23 of 85
baller4life
Super Contributor

Well let's hope they stick to their word!! Nifty lil device that I would definitely buy. Once they finish the update, I will look into purchasing one.
Message 24 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Well let's hope they stick to their word!! Nifty lil device that I would definitely buy. Once they finish the update, I will look into purchasing one.

No doubt it will be very popular if it is updated.  

Message 25 of 85
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Aren't there many players in the Smart CC market other then this one as well?  Could of sworn I read of another one at least.. $229 is steep!  As ,mentioned wait to see if it is out in October and if it plays friendly with EMV and if it does I would definitely consider laying out the cash for something like this so I don't have to keep on rotating cards and sheer ease of use.  Hey I would only have to have one can on my signature as well Smiley Tongue

Message 26 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am one of the first to embrace technology but I do not have enough trust in e-wallet oriented technology.  I do not care of any convenience it adds (and to me it's minimal anyway).  With everything going cloud-based I'll happily keep using my physical cards.

wow! me too! starbucks is one thing but all cards is another!

Message 27 of 85
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

No EMV support....

Beat you to it Smiley Tongue

Not as of yet but will be soon. Folk will forever be sliding cards as usual. 

Depends.  The UK adoption of chip&pin was amazingly fast.   Now, outside tourist areas, I found many cashiers who had no idea what to do with a swipe card.

Message 28 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am one of the first to embrace technology but I do not have enough trust in e-wallet oriented technology.  I do not care of any convenience it adds (and to me it's minimal anyway).  With everything going cloud-based I'll happily keep using my physical cards.

wow! me too! starbucks is one thing but all cards is another!

Yeah, I've read about others but can't remember their names.  I'm sure there is a big rush to be the 'one' card but I'd rather wait it out to see who actually delivers on their promises.  This will never be the only way people minimize the number if cards that they have to carry.  Apple Pay and other similar products will have their niche as well.  Given that Apple Pay bypasses the need to insert the card I can see that being the go to method if a platform is developed across all phone types.  Even then there will always be people that want to have physical possession of their cards.  Hard to wow people with the Ritz card if it's stored in a device :-)

Message 29 of 85
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Putting my own 'local' issue aside, I have a genuine question on how this will work after the liability shift in October.

My understanding is that liability for fraud will fall back to the party with the lowest tech; basically, if a card has a chip and a merchant doesn't use it, the liability would be on them, while if an issuer doesn't issue cards with a EMV chip they (the issuer) will be liable in the event of fraud.

Using this new gizmo, since there seems to be no EMV present on the physical device, which party would be liable?  The issuer has done 'their part' by issuing a card with a chip, so it shouldn't be them.  Assuming the merchant has a terminal that takes EMV, they have done 'their part' as well.  What I foresee in the near future will be merchants 'insisting' that the chip be used if present, which from what I understand can be determined by information contained in the strip when it's used.

If this device captures the same information that's on the magnetic strip, then when it's swiped it will notify the terminal that a chip is (or should be) present, and once enforced the terminal will require it.  The only workaround to this I can see is when the original card strip is "cloned" into the device, it alters/modifies the indicator for 'EMV chip present' in order to 'trick' the terminal into taking a swipe when it otherwise wouldn't... and shouldn't.

If the device 'tricks' a merchant's terminal into accepting the 'swipe', and fraud does take place, who would accept liability?

This could be complicated...

Message 30 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.