Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PIF Phenomena ;)

tag
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Re: The PIF Phenomena ;)

Guys, I think the one thing we can all agree on is JoeyZoom is a wild and crazy guy. If you're unfamiliar, look at his previous posts. I genuinely hope he never stops posting. He  livens this place up with his exploits.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 61 of 101
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

so then what are credit cards for if not to occassionally float people by financially ?  As a tool simply to reap rewards?  What about non-reward cards?  They're plenitful. ...  why do they exist if not for those reasons?  I understand your thought process to a point but only to a point

I like the idea of using credit cards to float money at the establishment's expense. That's why I let all charges post on statements and then PIF the amount 2 or 3 days before due date. Not really concerned about aggregate CC utilization affecting score much as total CL is enough to keep utilization under control.

It's all about convenience and float for me. Oh, cash back bonuses are nice as well.

PIF after charges post rules!

Forgot my 2nd rule - No revolvers with annual fees, ever!  There are good enough cash back perks availble with no fee cards [such as Discover card].

Nothing beats the Best Buy card for "cash back" on in store purchases once you achieve Elite status. Ok, it's not really cash back, but you use the rewards as cash for subsequet purchases. I'm one of their loyal customers. Smiley Very Happy

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 62 of 101
Dcyphrz
Established Member

I never charge anything that I don't have the money for.  Period.  Hard times have given me a healthy fear of joblessness and debt.  I do run everything through cards to skim off the points but it all gets paid as soon as the charges post (some I can pay immediately). I only carry a balance when a charge happens to post at the end of the billing period and my payment doesn't post before the statement prints. 

Message 63 of 101
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Really good responses. They are all correct to a certain degree IMO.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 64 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm one of the people that makes payments right after the charge posts, or for cards like BofA/Amex I can immediately make a payment. I use it to earn rewards on charges I would only make if I have the money. I do let on card post a balance, my Fidelity Amex. Never paid interest in my life. I also safe about $600 a month into a savings account and 10% of paycheck into 401k. Definitely don't live above means.

Message 65 of 101
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

@sreneesa wrote:

@Anonymous @ all the redundancies in this thread... Some pay in full and others do not. It is a personal choice and decision. 

It doesn't matter how much we beat the PIF horse, people are going to do what they want because it is their life. 

Do I pay in full each month? Nope. 

Do I have enough in savings to pay off my CC debt? Yes.

Will I pay off my CC debt with my savings? Nope. 

That's that. lol Smiley Happy 

EXACTLY THIS. 

Message 66 of 101
Pway
Valued Contributor

@OMW2_HighAcheiver wrote:

@sreneesa wrote:

@Anonymous @ all the redundancies in this thread... Some pay in full and others do not. It is a personal choice and decision. 

It doesn't matter how much we beat the PIF horse, people are going to do what they want because it is their life. 

EXACTLY THIS. 

I totally agree.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 67 of 101
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Guys, I think the one thing we can all agree on is JoeyZoom is a wild and crazy guy. If you're unfamiliar, look at his previous posts. I genuinely hope he never stops posting. He  livens this place up with his exploits.

I haven't read any of his previous posts, but this one was really really painful to read...

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 68 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OMW2_HighAcheiver wrote:

@sreneesa wrote:

EXACTLY THIS. 

I lived without credit for over a decade.  Once had a rental company tell me I didn't exist.  They let me rent the house I wanted, but charged me double security deposit (which my employer paid)

I only started rebuilding because I wanted to buy a house.  I have thought about paying more, but I will NEVER be able to get that money for what I am paying in interest right now.  If I have better uses for that money (including investments), I will take those uses.

Likewise, I am carrying about $8k on credit cards right now.  (Deals that were really good, house improvements, etc), ALL of it at 0% interest.  All of the deferred interest WILL be paid off before the promotion ends.  I have three 0% interest cards, all of which will also be my lowest interest rate cards when the 0% promotion expires.

Like sreneesa wrote, I could pay off most, if not all, of my 0% interest rate borrowing from savings, if I so choose.  But why should I?  Even if I am earning so close to 0% on that money that it doesn't matter, shouldn't I keep the money available for emergencies?

The consensus is that we should use rewards because it's free money.  Isn't 0% interest also free money?  (NB, it IS vitally important to have a plan to pay it back before it becomes non-free)

Message 69 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Completely agree that 1 & 2 is nonsense and dumb -- but 3, 4 and 5 you listed are usually unavoidable, hence where credit comes into play.  Personally, I charge rent (live in a high end luxury complex - big corp and online payments) to get the rewards reaped and cash back (Rent: $2,000 monthly, amounts to about $40 back a month; also charge auto payment (same reason - rewards), groceries, gas (PenFed 5% BACK!!!!), and utilities.  Out of those, I usually PIF all but 1-2 of those charges, and even that I pay down decently.  Some month I will skip charging rent, but rarely -- why pay $2000 in rent when you can pay $1960 ??  Ill never understand people who tell people "never to use credit cards" but that's a whole other thread!

Nearly 70 replies but no one really asked you explicitly (I think): 1) don't they charge you fees for paying your rent with a cc? If not, then you're really lucky. 2) You did mention that you don't pay everything in full. Is the balance on a 0% card? If not, then even if it is on a low APR card, you're still paying more on interest then you make on rewards. Have you done the math?

Message 70 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.