Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PIF Phenomena ;)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The PIF Phenomena ;)

@Loquat wrote:
I too am an RN working in an ER at a hospital...and I don't know what part of the country you live in but the work here in the Midwest is plentiful.   It's because of my occupation that I never find myself having the need to carry a balance.  I say that because the pay is outstanding and overtime (if wanted) is also plentiful.  When I hear of my coworkers talking about their financial issues it makes me wonder just what the heck must they be doing.  Again, speaking for where I work, most RN could take home a easily a $3-4K paycheck bi-weekly and that's still including have 2 days off a week.   I'm not speaking of you specifically because I know nothing about you...but where I am, and what I overhear, some of my co workers are clearly living above and beyond their means.    And yes, it could all be over tomorrow but is that really an excuse to be in debt?
@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:
+1 million!
Message 81 of 101
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree that the "I could die tomorrow" is poor justification for being in debt. Following that logic, why show up to work? You could die tomorrow anyway.

Take control of your finances and don't let the tail wag the dog. Don't let cards/rewards dictate your spending habits. Credit, used for daily expenses and paid in full, isn't for everyone. Some people are truly better off using cash/debit for everyday purchases, having a couple cards for history that are locked in a safe, etc.

Message 82 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

Allow me to clarify people -- in no way do I think debt is an amazing thing, and I already stated such. and to the other RN, I totally agree with you -- however, being in school for my MSN, I do not work a full time schedule, hence, my pay is not nearly what it was or will be.  That said, I still do decently and carry balances here and there as needed only.  I think my whole post was misconstrued...I am an emotional poster no doubt lol.  

It's nice to hear another nurse posting here!  By "I could die tomorrow" I simply meant that fretting over a few credit card balances simply isnt worth it-- if my score dips for a few months, I'm not going to lose sleep as some here will simply for higher UTIL....it is what it is.   And as an aside, nurses definitely can do WELL -- but I always hear nurses, nurse managers, you name it say are you arent going to get rich being a nurse.  In most cases this is true, unless fo course you open your own med-spa, private practice as an NP or something similar.  So stating that simply because youre a nurse you cant/hould not have finacnial issues or problems is very misleading -- you have no idea what people face in their life -- be it an RN, MD, surgeon, or A List celeb.  Money can go as fast as it comes.

Message 83 of 101
Dcyphrz
Established Member

I joke about this sorta thing sometimes but it bears serious mention.  If you're prepared for financial problems, there's always a chance you'll die and the money wouldn't be of any benefit to you at all.  On the flip side, if you make enough bad decisions to wreck your finances, nature has a way of making sure you survive so you can suffer for a really really really long time. LOL

Message 84 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

*** There are some rididculously rude, miserable people on these boards -- I agree with some of you.  Don't let the nay-sayers / miserable with thier lives people get you down Smiley Very Happy 

Message 85 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several posts this morning are borderline, if not outright non FSR.  If you can't make your point without insulting someone, then don't post.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/td-p/2905196

Message 86 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irish hope you arent referring to me -- all im doing is callin out the nasty ones, as i often do.  there is NO NEED to be demeaning here, period

Message 87 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Irish hope you arent referring to me -- all im doing is callin out the nasty ones, as i often do.  there is NO NEED to be demeaning here, period

No, wasn't talking about you

Message 88 of 101
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now of course IDEALLY one would want to PIF always, but most Americans rely on credit cards to get by in life -- even those who make well over 6 figures.  Debt is sadly, a part of life for many -- Ive always found it ridiculous that banks extend all this credit but dont want you to really use it, then AA you for using too much of the line THEY GAVE YOU!!!  Smiley Very Happy  This rant mainly stems from an AA Thread regarding BOA I just read here moments ago -- it boils my blood pressure to see that crap (speaking ONLY in terms of AA for "high util", not baddies, lates, CO etc).   Nonsensical.  Bottom line:  Not everyone can afford to PIF at all times, and CC companies should expect that -- I think the average US credit card debt is at least $15-20k ... and thats the AVERAGE, meaning some are wayyyy above this #.  

Credit is not suitable as a sole emergency fund.  Yes, reality is that many cannot or have difficulty establishing a liquid reserve and end up relying on credit.  However, everyone should at least be aiming to pay every statement balance in full, not spend what one does not have and to have a liquid emergency reserve.  To not have those is not a long term sustainable practice no matter why one is in the situation one is in.

As for creditors and AA, you're only seeing it from your perspective.  From a creidtor's perspective, high revolving utilization is a significant risk factor.  It is what it is.  We are all subject to the same system.  If that's a problem for you then you need to really work on your financial situation.  It doesn't matter what the averages are.  A creditor is a business, not a charity.  It has to carefully balance risk with other considerations.  Most of how credit is assessed is a matter of risk analysis from looking at one's credit reports.  That's why these are the standard factors and the typical weights for FICO scoring.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not saying it's a good idea to get into debt or carry balances, but it happens, for many different reasons -- I feel like these boards are either filled with all ridiculousy loaded people who can always PIF, or many of them simply charge very little amounts.

One does not have to be loaded to not spend what one does not have.  Emergencies certainly happen but a large number of people are in debt due to optional spend.

I run a lot through my cards and PIF anything not on 0% offers.  I've been working on eliminating the 0% balances as that was money that I did not have.  I'm not quite there but getting close.

Do not rely on analysis of forum posts.  Any discussion forum presents a skewed data set.  Work out what you need to do and get to work on that versus worrying over what others do or do not.  It's not about following the herd.  There's no way to confirm that people actually do what they post here anyway or don't mispreresent themselves to at least some degree.

@Anonymous wrote:

Just some food for thought -- not sure who will agree, but I do find the constant advice of "always PIF" to be idyllic, but not very plausible for most people.  AND, I think the AA seems to overblown for the reason of high UTIL at least -- anyone else ?  

Basically this thread is a validation that I'm not the only one in the country (or on these boards) who will carry balances somewhat often, at least at this young stage in my life.  :-)

You're not the only.  No one is ever the only on any topic.  However, that doesn't meant that those in the same boast as you shouldn't be working towards the recommendations.  The recommendations are based on how the system works.  You can disagree with it but it is what it is.  It's more productive to work with it even if you do find it diffucult and a challenger versus fighting it.  The system is not going to change for you.  Exceed the risk tolerance of a creditor -- whether due to revolving utilization or other reasons -- and you run the risk of adverse action.

If you're routinely outspending then carefully analyze your finances and see what you can do to at least mitigage in part if not in full.  All of the advice presented is to help people understand how things work.  If you're tired of hearing it then it's up to you to choose to disregard it.  The only thing you have control over is yourself.  Don't be discouraged by the suggest goals and apooraches.  Remember what is frequently posted: it's a marathon, not a sprint.  It's a long, slow process and if you're having to work your way out of trouble it can seem to take even longer.

Message 89 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

*** There are some rididculously rude, miserable people on these boards -- I agree with some of you.  Don't let the nay-sayers / miserable with thier lives people get you down Smiley Very Happy 

If y'all are referring to my post, then okay I accept responsibility for it. 

I still stand by my posts though. The people with the highest FICO scores and financial stability and wealth DO NOT pay interest to CC companies by carrying a balance over month after month. I promise you.

Message 90 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.