cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??

Moderator Emerita

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??


Mank wrote:

Woohoo! After reading some more recent approvals here on the forums we decided to go ahead with the Cabela's application. Instant approval! This has been such a good week credit wise. Now I'm just curious what the limit is.

 

Does the Cabela's Visa report as a Visa card or a store card?



It's not a question of how it reports; it's how the FICO scoring formula handles it.

Any card with a store logo that also has a bank card logo (Visa, MC, Discover, AmEx) is regarded as a bank card in the credit mix portion of your score. So a Sears store card counts as a retail (store/gas) card, a Sears MC counts as a bank card, and so forth.


edit: cna't splel
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 04-08-2009 08:31 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??

You can freeze two of your reports and they will only be able to pull one report and still approve you.

 


KingAdrock wrote:

YoungEntrepeneur wrote:
Capital One, they pull all three so they will see your clean EQ report.

I wouldn't really say the fact they pull all three is a good thing.


 

 

Message 12 of 18
Valued Contributor

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??

I wouldn't recommend freezing the reports. Atleast not EQ.
Message 13 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??


YoungEntrepeneur wrote:

You can freeze two of your reports and they will only be able to pull one report and still approve you.


Security freezes are meant to stop identity theft, not to avoid inqs with PP.

Message 14 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??

Do you have a Kroger store nearby?  They have a great rewards Mastercard.  The 1-2-3 rewards program really builds fast if you shop at Kroger.  They also offer 0% BT's for 12 mos. and a 12.9% interest with no AF.  AND they pull EQ only.  It takes several days for approval but they have a customer service line where you can check the status anytime.

 

They approved me for a $5,500 limit which is about my average CL with the other majors; BoA, Chase, Discover.  Called for a CLI but was told 9 mo. minimum before a CLI will be considered. 


Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 18
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??


KingAdrock wrote:

YoungEntrepeneur wrote:

You can freeze two of your reports and they will only be able to pull one report and still approve you.


Security freezes are meant to stop identity theft, not to avoid inqs with PP.



Security freezes also stop inquiries from collectors and junk debt buyers that claim to have PP. Are you going to lecture people about freezing their reports to avoid those inquiries as well? If somebody wants a creditor to make a credit decision based on just one of their reports that is their decision and theirs alone. If crap one wants to grant credit by pulling one instead of three that is their choice, nobody is twisting their arm.
 
 

 

Message Edited by hobojon on 04-09-2009 02:53 AM
Message 16 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??


hobojon wrote:
Security freezes also stop inquiries from collectors and junk debt buyers that claim to have PP. Are you going to lecture people about freezing their reports to avoid those inquiries as well? If somebody wants a creditor to make a credit decision based on just one of their reports that is their decision and theirs alone. If crap one wants to grant credit by pulling one instead of three that is their choice, nobody is twisting their arm.

Using a security freeze to block bunk inquiries is completely different from using it to block inquiries that you know to be genuine.

Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: The Perfect Unsecured Rebuilder Card??


KingAdrock wrote:

hobojon wrote:
Security freezes also stop inquiries from collectors and junk debt buyers that claim to have PP. Are you going to lecture people about freezing their reports to avoid those inquiries as well? If somebody wants a creditor to make a credit decision based on just one of their reports that is their decision and theirs alone. If crap one wants to grant credit by pulling one instead of three that is their choice, nobody is twisting their arm.

Using a security freeze to block bunk inquiries is completely different from using it to block inquiries that you know to be genuine.


According to the FCRA both have PP. No where in the FCRA does it say that initiating a security freeze for whatever reason is prohibited.

Message 18 of 18