Miles

Quicksilver

Anyone have all four?

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Quadfecta of 1.5+% CB cards

Miles isn't a CB card. If you're going to throw open everything, CapOne Venture is also a miles card, and gets you 2 miles per $1 spent. 

Message 2 of 41
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Not really sure why you would want to have all four since they totally overlap?

Miles is essentially the same as a CB card because you can redeem for full value. So it is 1.5% back, no matter what the redemption. Venture nerfs the value if you redeem against things other than travel, so that shouldn't be part of the comparison.

Message 3 of 41
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Not really sure why you would want to have all four since they totally overlap?

Multiple reasons.

(a) Sign-up bonuses (including the $200 drama on Citi DC, and whether or not first year double miles on Discover miles is a bonus)

(b) They rolled out at different times; at each roll-out, the new card seemed better. In terms of reward redemption, for e.g., Quicksilver > Citi DC > Fidelity AMEX. The Discover might be even better

(c) Poor limits on earlier cards and no CLI; my Q/S has moved from 0.5k->2k(credit steps)->4k->6k and doesn't seem to go anywhere unless I do the EO hoops.

But yes, I believe unless you're a part of this board, you're most likely not going to apply for all four. 

I guess the OP's question is more about the pros and cons of each of them coming from someone who's actually used them.

Miles is essentially the same as a CB card because you can redeem for full value. So it is 1.5% back, no matter what the redemption. Venture nerfs the value if you redeem against things other than travel, so that shouldn't be part of the comparison.

True. Miles is a misnomer here; you essentially get 1.5% Cash Back (3% first year) on everything and there's no need / incentive to use those miles for travel purposes. Venture is a different game.

Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Miles is 3x for first yr
Message 5 of 41
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Miles is 3x for first yr

Which is not much of "signup bonus" compared to QS.

Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

IF they give you the bonus*
Message 7 of 41
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You have a point in that you could have ended up with all four over time. I guess what I meant was I don't see why someone would (at this point) purposely obtain all four because DC doesn't even have a signup bonus right now. Anyway, I agree that it seems the question is more about comparing them.

All I can say is that between DC and QS I prefer QS. No redemption minimum, no FTF if that's important to you, don't have to PIF to get your reward, reward appears instantly after purchase posts not at statement cut, in general (but not absolute) Citi is giving lower limits and higher APRs than expected with the Double Cash.

Can't speak to Fid Amex as I don't have one, but it's not something everyone can obtain, you have to have investments with Fidelity. But from what I understand, it pays out the 2% immediately.

Let's please not get into the "miles is not a signup bonus....yes it is...no it's not" debate. We had a looooong thread about that. The only part that pertains to this thread is that I was addressing someone who stated Miles is not the same as the cash back cards. I feel that essentially it is since no matter how you redeem you get 1.5%, so I feel it's a relevant comparison. And you get 3% the first year, whether you consider that a signup bonus or not that's what you get.

Message 8 of 41
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
IF they give you the bonus*

Not funny Nix!!  There's no reason to rub salt into the wound!!  Smiley Mad

Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 41
kdm31091
Super Contributor

That's a good point because supposedly you may not get the doubled miles "bonus" thing with Discover if you PC to the card. Also, it has surfaced that you can't access Discover Deals with it. Based on these factors I wouldn't PC to it. I will apply for it directly if/when I get it

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.