cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Risk of Closing Multiple Cards - Is It Worth It?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The Risk of Closing Multiple Cards - Is It Worth It?

@wasCB14 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

There's no actual penalty for closing accounts, but I wouldn't want to be in the position of having 30 cards, closing 25, and only keeping 5 open. Over the course of an entire year, AAoA would only rise by two months.

But that's not true, from my understanding. The closed accounts will continue to age and be calculated into AAOA for 10 years. So over the course of the year your AAOA is going to rise the same as it would with the accounts being open.

10 years from now, yes, it will make a bigger difference but again, AAOA isn't that big of a deal. Assuming everything else is in shape, you aren't likely going to be denied a card if your AAOA is 2 years 6 months vs 3 years, or something like that.

Hmm...if that's true, I don't see the rationale. How would a person be getting any new history or experience with an account once it's closed?

I just checked 2 reports six months apart.  On one bureau, I have 7 closed accounts, 33 open.   The average age of the accounts has increased by 6 months.   If the closed didn't count, it should have gone up by 5 months.   A little too close to be conclusive though!

As for making sense, "Your honor, I submit Amex back-dating"  I got credit for the 20 years where I had no open Amex accounts....

Message 11 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I currently have 30 active credit accounts. I've used every single one of them and only 5 of them have a balance, soon to be 4.

I've taken on this credit repairing journey and have had it fluctuate so much that I'm looking to take on a new angle. I've managed to get my utilization from a 58% down to 30% in a matter of 2 months. The only thing that seems to be really negatively impacting my credit scores right now is my AAoA and inquiries, although I know inquiries have little effect after so long.

My AAoA has been so low for so long that I'm finally considering closing a lot of these cards that I've managed to acquire to raise my total limits which in turn helped me to lower my utilization. I feel that the AAoA would have a much more positive effect in the long run, considering that I could always try to get CLIs and just make above minimum payments.

If I close these cards my fear is that my utilization will go back up, but I want to build up my history (age) of my credit report. Is it worth it to take this route? Any advice?

Thanks.

You're operating under a misconception. Closing accounts doesn't affect your average age of accounts. The accounts stay on your report for a long time, usually around 10 years.

Closing accounts will not help your score in any way.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So basically the only way to grow it is to not apply for anything.
Exactly

Also, 30 accounts is a lot, yes, but when I only carry a balance on 5 of them it's much easier to manage. I keep a secured list of all of my account logins just in case I happen to use one and need to make a payment. I also have text alerts set up should anyone happen to steal my card(s) info somehow.

If you like having the accounts, no reason in the world to close any of them

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

There's no actual penalty for closing accounts, but I wouldn't want to be in the position of having 30 cards, closing 25, and only keeping 5 open. Over the course of an entire year, AAoA would only rise by two months.

But that's not true, from my understanding. The closed accounts will continue to age and be calculated into AAOA for 10 years. So over the course of the year your AAOA is going to rise the same as it would with the accounts being open.

10 years from now, yes, it will make a bigger difference but again, AAOA isn't that big of a deal. Assuming everything else is in shape, you aren't likely going to be denied a card if your AAOA is 2 years 6 months vs 3 years, or something like that.

In relation to my credit reports ... have several old accounts that have been closed for many years and they are giving me my old AAoA (so they factor in on all three bureaus for my reports).

Message 14 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Hmm...if that's true, I don't see the rationale. How would a person be getting any new history or experience with an account once it's closed?

Payment history is seperate from AAOA and age of oldest account; the latter two are based on open date and that's it.

Since AAOA is only calculated on open date and not any of the payment history in there, whether an account is opened or closed on the report is irrelevant: if it's on it counts (for OC tradelines) and if it's not, it doesn't.  Assuming you have any tradelines at all, if you go a full year without opening anything new, you gain 12 months AAOA.  Effectively if you don't open anything new, it increases linearly proportional to time, it's only when we open new things that that gets beaten down... i.e. I've been doing this for a little over 5 years but I only have 3 and small change years AAOA (and only seemed like I got points for going across the 2 year mark) but I've been more aggressive in opening accounts than the average consumer and if I had to do it over again I might have done things a bit differently.

Payment history for whatever it's worth, appears mostly to be calculated on just not having a deliquency or derogatory.  If you're clean you basically win that part of the scorecard, if you are dirty, you lose.  The algorithms appear to be astonishly simplistic on this one at least in broad strokes though FICO 8 marketing literature states patterns of deliquencies are analyzed, and there are some strange things on thin files that we've seen, so maybe positive payment history is a thing even if we've never seen evidence of tradeline seasoning outside of the new accounts penalty some clean files have reported... no such thing exists for my dirty bucket apparently.

        
Message 15 of 20
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Hubby has 26 accounts ranging in age from 16 months to 2 months. But he has 1 closed account that it 6.9 yes and 2 accounts that are 17 months old. His AAoA is 1.1 years. If the closed accounts didn't count then his AAoA would be a few months. The 6.9 year old account is giving him a boost in that area.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing closing hurts is utilization. I closed 7 cards at once and didn't take a hit at all. It's been 6 months since I did it.
Message 17 of 20
ObieGrad
Valued Member

Whatever you choose to do, a good practice might be to set up auto pay for the minimum payment on all of those cards. That way if you use a card and forget you won't miss a payment. (You could autopay the statement balance instead as well but this risks overdrawing your checking account if you are not careful.)

Message 18 of 20
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

A lot of wrong info on here.

1. After closing accounts, it stays on your account for about 10 years, so by you closing the accounts neither helps nor damages your short term growth, but will hurt your long term goal.. (Although by a small percentage, as another posted pointed out).

2. Your issue now, is time. Find a new hobby, let your cards age, and with that focus on your baddies being dropped out.

3. If keeping track of your cards is an issue, try transferring balances among same issuers before you close so your utilization doesnt negatively affect your score.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 19 of 20
kdm31091
Super Contributor

In the long run, yes, your AAOA will drop when the accounts fall off, although likely not by very much if you have several other older accounts at that time.

If the accounts are causing you anxiety, that is in no way worth worrying about a small drop in score 10 years from now. Like I said, why feel trapped by your cards? They should benefit you, and if they are not, or if they're too much to track, move on. No harm in spreading out the closures if it makes you more comfortable but just IMO it probably doesn't really make a big difference.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.