Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Sleigh Center is a dump- Welcome to the new Concorduser Center

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fight the Power...

So I promised myself I would not do another credit application until February of '09 when I'll apply for my USAA mc/Amex, whichever one I want more.
Last night we went to Kohls. Its been years since I've been to Kohls, and I forgot just how much I loved the store. It's 10x better than JcPenney, especially our local one, even if the prices are slightly higher. But the sales make up for it. Almost everything was 20-50% off. On top of that if you used/applied for a card they give you an additional 15-30% off. The teller scratches a card off and sees how much exactly you take off. Mix in the fact that of all store cards I've read about, this one is the best to have. Could the offer get any sweeter?
When we get to the check out the guy was aggressive. My hubby was standing behind me. He's the store card sucker, I was waiting for HIM to apply to save me the trouble. We scratch off the ticket. Darn! Only 15%. I knew hubs wouldn't apply unless it was the 30. He stood back, threw up his hands and said: "It's up to you."
I was torn. The salesman was pushing me, I think they must get a bonus for every app they take. At one point I said: "Can't I apply at the Customer Service Center?" And he looked and me and said: "Yeah, but why?" I was faced with one of my worst financial fears: applying for credit with an audience.
The line was starting to grow with fascinated customers. I could tell in their heads they were judging whether I'd be approved or declined.
My head was spinning. I was going back and forth, counting all the recent hard apps I've done and weighing it against the fact that I've (surprisingly) never received a decline from Chase Bank.
I looked over at my hubby who gave me a goody two shoes "Make the right decision look..." I looked back at the teller who was holding the 15% coupon. I felt like there was an angel and a devil on my shoulder. And when I found that I couldn't take anymore of the anxiety and pressure I closed my eyes and burst out without thinking: "NO THANK YOU, NOT TODAY..." whipped out my Chase Flexible Rewards and paid for the purse.
The teller went from super friendly to kinda pissy. In my brain I was cheering myself on. Hubby was smirking, I could tell he was laughing at me inside. The customers looked dejected that they weren't going to get to watch my public humiliation.
One day I'll be able to apply for a store card in front of others with confidence. But to get there I have to stop applying for a while. Smiley Happy

PS. After Kohls we headed straight to Target, where I was preapproved for their red card. After all the drama of turning down the Kohls offer it was much easier to say NO THANKS to the red card. Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Lyyssa on 04-13-2008 10:57 AM

Message Edited by Lyyssa on 04-13-2008 10:59 AM
Message 31 of 246
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: The Sleigh Center is a dump- Welcome to the new Concorduser Center

Timothy wrote:
Bump- Their several people that have suites reserved, yet have not checked in.

I'd like to make a reservation but I'm not QUITE ready to check in yet... soon though, and only for a brief stay - no one year lease for me haha
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 32 of 246
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Bump- Their several people that have suites reserved, yet have not checked in.

Waiting for the Center's namesake to christen the building first. Smiley Happy

(although I did just double my PenFed CL to $10K, hee hee hee)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 33 of 246
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Funny how concord hasn't peeked in.......
Message 34 of 246
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Fight the Power...

Lyyssa wrote:

I was faced with one of my worst financial fears: applying for credit with an audience.

I don't even use my Amex in public, let alone apply for credit.  Something to be done ny consenting adults in the privacy of their own home  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 35 of 246
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Lyyssa wrote:
So I promised myself I would not do another credit application until February of '09 when I'll apply for my USAA mc/Amex, whichever one I want more.
Last night we went to Kohls. Its been years since I've been to Kohls, and I forgot just how much I loved the store. It's 10x better than JcPenney, especially our local one, even if the prices are slightly higher. But the sales make up for it. Almost everything was 20-50% off. On top of that if you used/applied for a card they give you an additional 15-30% off. The teller scratches a card off and sees how much exactly you take off. Mix in the fact that of all store cards I've read about, this one is the best to have. Could the offer get any sweeter?
When we get to the check out the guy was aggressive. My hubby was standing behind me. He's the store card sucker, I was waiting for HIM to apply to save me the trouble. We scratch off the ticket. Darn! Only 15%. I knew hubs wouldn't apply unless it was the 30. He stood back, threw up his hands and said: "It's up to you."
I was torn. The salesman was pushing me, I think they must get a bonus for every app they take. At one point I said: "Can't I apply at the Customer Service Center?" And he looked and me and said: "Yeah, but why?" I was faced with one of my worst financial fears: applying for credit with an audience.
The line was starting to grow with fascinated customers. I could tell in their heads they were judging whether I'd be approved or declined.
My head was spinning. I was going back and forth, counting all the recent hard apps I've done and weighing it against the fact that I've (surprisingly) never received a decline from Chase Bank.
I looked over at my hubby who gave me a goody two shoes "Make the right decision look..." I looked back at the teller who was holding the 15% coupon. I felt like there was an angel and a devil on my shoulder. And when I found that I couldn't take anymore of the anxiety and pressure I closed my eyes and burst out without thinking: "NO THANK YOU, NOT TODAY..." whipped out my Chase Flexible Rewards and paid for the purse.
The teller went from super friendly to kinda pissy. In my brain I was cheering myself on. Hubby was smirking, I could tell he was laughing at me inside. The customers looked dejected that they weren't going to get to watch my public humiliation.
One day I'll be able to apply for a store card in front of others with confidence. But to get there I have to stop applying for a while. Smiley Happy

PS. After Kohls we headed straight to Target, where I was preapproved for their red card. After all the drama of turning down the Kohls offer it was much easier to say NO THANKS to the red card. Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Lyyssa on 04-13-2008 10:57 AM

Message Edited by Lyyssa on 04-13-2008 10:59 AM

OMG lyyssa, I know exactly how you feel. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I app'd at kohls and was so humiliated when I was denied, in front of all those people... So last month I app'd on-line, at home with no audience and I was approved.... After that horrible experience I will never app in a store, ever!
Message 36 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way to be strong Lyssa!!! WTG!
Message 37 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to join too...I got jacked 18 points for an inquiry actually 2 to NFCU...I can't believe it...18 points!!!! I am dreading when the two new accounts report...Got Visa and MC...17k each....DON'T NEED NOTHING ELSE EXCEPT MY 18 POINTS BACK.

Message Edited by ObsessedwithmyFico on 04-13-2008 02:36 PM
Message 38 of 246
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

Ok, I went off to my CU to up my secured card limit (Timothy, see, I ~~DO~~ listen!) and to just kinna suss out the landscape for a June car loan.  Of course I had my current reports with me so we could do a look-see and kind of guess at the potential for IRs.

Colour me happy.  Less than 6%, and if I can bump up another bunch by then, take off another half point.  IF they approve me with recent lates (the very last ones, ever, yes) on one single account.

With UTI going below the magic 30% this cycle I'm hopeful.

So, my friendly rep was all too happy to let me know that for the car loan, they'll pull TU (YAY!!!!) and that at the same time, they'll probably also offer me the standard MC they have.  When I asked if they were separate pulls, she had to call and ask.

One pull for the car loan AND MC. 

Does that invalidate my standing suite reservation here? 

atlast....
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 39 of 246
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

All right, I know I just posted asking for suggestions as to what I can get with my new 605 TU score, then I decided what the heck and app'd for the Carnival card.  Denied.

I'm ready to sign in and enjoy my suite now.  I'm only committing to stay until this August because that'll mark my 6 month mark on the repair process and I'd like to be able to show my success by getting an unsecured approval... although I may wait until Sept since that's when my 3 new accts will hit 6 months.

This is going to be miserably difficult, but I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all my options and been shot down by everyone I thought I might have a chance with.

Once August/Sept hits though I've already got a list of people to app/reapp with...

How's the room service around here? Smiley Wink
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 40 of 246
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.