Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Subprime Axe Thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Subprime Axe Thread

@emptypockets wrote:
You will probably have to call HSBC to make sure they report your closed acct (Orchard, RZMC) to the credit bureaus. Mine were closed in September, and show as closed when I log in on the accts, but are STILL reporting open on my reports today. I had to fax them copies of my credit report to prove to them that they have not reported to the credit bureaus for months. Hopefully, they will update these accts soon.

Really?? I wonder if that meant if it was actually still open.  Well I wouldn't care about that per say if the account was actually closed.  However that's why I canned them well before the AF was due.  Read on here too many times of them dragging there feet when someone tries to cancel them before the annual fee hits only to find out that the process of closing took long enough for them to stick it to them one last time.  The CR actually tried to convince me to ride it up until the last month before the AF to get full use of the card before it hits.  I strongly disagreed with that advice and went right on ahead.

But yea i'm going to check in with him the next couple months to make sure that it is indeed closed...

Message 11 of 32
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Axed FP and BBRZMC last week... maybe one cap1 this year... 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 12 of 32
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

First USA.  Never wanted it, due to sub-sub-prime experience in earlier years, but Wachovia sold my account to them.  I used to love that Wacko card, paid for some of the best experiences of my life with it, but they turned against me suddenly for some reason.  I got a letter I was being sold to First USA, wrote back certified RRR the very same day, requested immediate closure, letter from them documenting closed in good standing at my request.  Got the letter, wrong account number.  Called, they said they would send correct letter, wrong SS number this time.  Went on like that FIVE TIMES until Wachovia got their $0.02 or whatever for my account.  Finally last letter in the series came from FUSA, and it was reported that way on my CR for years and embarrassing years afterwards.  Feh.

This thread's a fun idea.  Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 32
spengbab
Regular Contributor

Just how exactly bad are subprime cards? The only thing I've seen are AFs... now I've heard of some terribad sub-subprime cards. One that charged like a $75 AF with a $300 CL.

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 14 of 32
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@spengbab wrote:

Just how exactly bad are subprime cards? The only thing I've seen are AFs... now I've heard of some terribad sub-subprime cards. One that charged like a $75 AF with a $300 CL.

i have a amex and pay an AF but its worth every penny. it really depends on the bank and all amex has AF of $450 for one card but its amex. FP(first premier) is like about 200 a year

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 15 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

Closed my BBRZ a month ago, since I didn't want to go through the conversion.  

Message 16 of 32
lithium78
Established Contributor

I just closed my Orchard Bank "gold" card.  It had a $900 CL and $79 AF and I have much better cards these days.  The CSR tried to convince me to keep it because "closed accounts look bad on your credit report when you are trying to get loans", which as we all know is BS.  They offered to lower the AF to $39.50 for this year, but they wouldn't lower it to zero so buh-bye.

Orchard Bank was the first lender to give me a credit card after I screwed up my credit, so I'll always be thankful to them.  They were much better to me than other sub-primes like Credit One, but Capital One was actually the best to me.

At this point, my only sub-prime cards left are my BBRZ MC ($900 CL, $59 AF due in June.  I'll see if I can get them to move me to a higher tier or waive the AF, or they are getting the axe in May) and my Capital One Platinum MC ($1800 CL, $3 monthly fee.  I'll probably keep this card another year until after I get a mortgage, then they'll get the axe since they offer no rewards. they haven't given me a CLI in two years, and I hate paying a monthly fee, especially since it is charged on the statement date.)

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 32
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

just put cap1 thru the shredder because it got replaced by a prime card...3 subprime cards down 1 to go....

Message 18 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Fingerhut, FP, CreditOne have all met the shredder. HSBC is next to go next week.

Makin' way for Primeville!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One Journey. Died 3/22/12 Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.