tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: The Unsleigh Center

Brammy wrote:
But seriously

Don't spoil it  Smiley Sad

Brammy wrote:
But seriously, There is a time to app but most who need sleigh are app happy. 

I am a minimalist, and agree that I could easily have more cards.  But there does seem to be a tendency to get app happy, and it can easily lead to trouble.

and as I said elsewhere:

Change in Focus of this forum

MidnightVoice wrote:
A long, long time ago when I first joined this forum there was a big focus on "controlling score and getting out of debt".  The focus seems to have shifted to "how can I get a double digit number of credit cards with crap scores, resulting in serious rather than fatal damage to my score?"

Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must confess, I'm slightly (??) app-happy lately.  I guess it comes from finally being approved again after several years in the wastelands.  LOL  I know it's not a good reason... more like an excuse... but I still say that I am also trying to build my credit profile back to a really good place in a shorter amount of time, as is my husband.  He is retiring next year from the navy, after 24 years of submarine life, and we want to build again (we've been renting for the past 5 years, as we got stationed somewhere we didn't want to live permanently).  We also have 2 kids in college and 1 going there next year... and 2 younger ones in private school.  SOOOOO.... we want to re-build strong and as fast as possible.  I'm not sure we're going about it totally the right way, but... our scores are up (my hubby's are up 250 points from March of this year), and we've refinanced to get some higher rates down.  Now it's about getting utilization down some, which has had me apping a little lately.  I know that paying down debt is the best way!  I AM aware... and that's our intent.  But we still want to be in the under 40% util. range while we're paying down.  Once we app for a mortgage in a year or so, we'll consolidate, and we'll most likely close a few accounts altogether.  My husband will also be into his 2nd career by then, and that salary will be above and beyond what we are currently making, as he'll still be making the same salary he is making now just with his retirement and other entitlements.  I am just looking forward to getting back on track.

Whew... that was a mouthful.  Hope I didn't put my foot in my mouth!
Message 12 of 50
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by fused111 on 09-20-2007 08:02 PM
Message 13 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep. I think I'm doing OK. Back in a past life, in the '90's, I had AmEx, Discover, lots Visas/MCs, store cards.

Illness, surgeries, in & out of hospitals, loss of job, foreclosure, defaulted on CCs, big mess 2000/2001.

Got a $300 Orchard CC in 2002 and was tickled to have it.

Now have:
Orchard- $2050.
Orchard- $2000.
Cap1-      $2000.
CCCU-    $1500.

Only 4 total Inqs on CRs 
Message 14 of 50
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Ahhh.. I have found my mother thread. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the home all locked up, I'm off the Sleigh Center reservation, and starting to app.

Got a CLI outta Wells Fargo Bank from $4K to $6K. Instant approval over the phone.

DW got a CLI on AMEX Delta from $3,500 to $6,000 instant online.

Asked State Farm Bank to CLI from $2,500 to $5,000. They appear not to do instant approval. 7-10 days for an answer. Might be able to call and get an answer in a few days.

Asked Chase to CLI from $400 to $2,500 over the phone. Also appear not to do instant approval. 7-10 days for an answer.

Cap One said it's not available to me through their automated phone request.

Barclays Osh Kosh said "not at this time". Oh well. Rewards at Carters and Osh Kosh stores still make it worth keeping, and no AF.

Wells Fargo Financial (different division of Wells Fargo) said have to wait a year so July 2008. Started to get off the phone, but they pressed in with more questions about why I wanted the CLI. Said we're closing on a house, we know we have some expenses in repairs coming up, we didn't wanna max CCs, and we wanted to CLI to the extent possible. Reminded me we have our WFF LOC, and asked whether I wanted to BT. Must have said 3 times I didn't have anything at this time to BT, and the only thing we have outstanding is some CC debt just moved to a 0% APR CC. Gave 'em every possible bait I could think of to try and get 'em wanting to "keep up with the Jones" (or WAMU in this case) by giving me an APR reduction, perhaps a 0% APR offer, or a CLI. Nothing. They are the Enhanced Stepford Wives of CCCs. Perfect English speakers, able to converse like a human being and respond interactively, but completely tied to their "script".

New apped for a Discover Open Road card. No AF and 5% reward on gas purchases.

Message 16 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I turned down an Amex credit card today being offered to me by a CSR with no inq. I said no, but I'd think about it. lol. I wonder if I would have turned it down if it were from a competitor because of the wiry feeling excepting this card would trigger an Amex F/R.
Message 17 of 50
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Where are all the unSleighers? Are our lives just too boring without the app frenzies?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

State Farm VISA said yes and bump from $2,500 to $5,000

Children's Place bumped DW up from $200 to $1,100 CL.

Chase said no to my CLI request.

Discover said no on the new app.

Hit up Watermark CU for a CC. They said no. I asked for $25K. Figured they might approve for a lower amount, but I got nuttin'.

Went ahead and PIF the paying on Penfed collection. Gonna send a letter out to the attorney asking for confirmation that PIF has been received--just poking 'em in the kneecap with a stick making him earn his money. I'm thinking the CUs are blacklisting me until the Penfed collection is satisfied. Once the Penfed collection reports PIF, I'm going to recon Watermark and Discover.

Message 19 of 50
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, Chase is reluctant to grant anything.  I have paid my %util down from 90% to under 30% in six months.  And yet Chase would only grant me a 3% reduction in my APR.  So I am going to do a BT to another account, and write them off.  I will become un-Chased!
Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.