Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Zync glitter is real!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Zync glitter is real!

25 dollars is nothing to get in with amex. 

If the benefits dont outweigh the negatives for you then don't apply. But don't try to convince us to your particular frame of mind. 

We are happy and welcome to the glitter club GHOST! 

W00t w00t!!!

EDIT 

@jhtrico1850 wrote:

Visa and Mastercard have extended warranty things too. I don't know how they compare, but it probably doesn't matter much, unless like I said, if you're a big spender.

I've never had to resolve an issue with my credit cards. I've got the law on my side anyway. But I understand some people are more comfortable paying more for the American Express name.

Right now doesn't seem like the best time to get an American Express card, with APR high, fees common. With the new CARD Act, if they can't raise rates, they'll be sure to charge high rates for new customers, so I'll wait to see if they ever put a good product out (low APR, no annual fee).

Dude its a charge card. NO APR. What are "fees common"? FOR US it is the right time. Stop trying to ruin our moment negative nancy LOL

Message 31 of 106
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

HTSUP- Is correct. It's a great way of getting in with amex and securing a member since date. that member date can serve your AAoA's in the future very nicely. In fact, that's why I applied. I also know that if it wasn't for me being an AU on my husbands CC's, I wouldn't qualify for the better rewards/cashback cards. So I'd put the ZYNC to work!

Also, iluvmyfico made a good point. It has much better rewards and protection that any debit card. If you use it as a debit, you're earning rewards. Just be very careful. Knowing me, if I made a purchase on my ZYNC, I'd then run to nearest ATM and take that money right out, put it away, and forget about it until the bill came.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 32 of 106
mross1080
Established Contributor

Charge card APR???Smiley Indifferent

Message 33 of 106
jhtrico1850
Regular Contributor

I meant American Express in general, I'm pretty sure the APRs were more generous just a few years ago. 

Message 34 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jhtrico1850 wrote:

I meant American Express in general, I'm pretty sure the APRs were more generous just a few years ago. 

Yeah I don't carry a balance on any credit product therefore I don't pay any APR, regardless of the rate. Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 106
jhtrico1850
Regular Contributor

I've never paid credit card interest, but it's nice knowing that I have a 6.9% APR (not based on prime) card in case I ever need to.

Message 36 of 106
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

@jhtrico1850 wrote:

I've never paid credit card interest, but it's nice knowing that I have a 6.9% APR (not based on prime) card in case I ever need to.

Which card? Maybe it would help someone who wants to do a transfer.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 37 of 106
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

All these comments are excellent reasons for having multiple CC's.

There's no such thing as the one perfect card that does it all. By the same token, there's no one card that absolutely no one should ever get, for whatever reason, including First Preemie. Well, OK, maybe FP. Smiley Very Happy But even then, First Preemie was a necessary first step for some rebuilders.

There's rewards cards, and low-APR cards, and high-CL cards, and whoa-a-new-card-that's-20-years-old card, and good-for-shopping-online-or-whatever cards.

IMO, people should figure out maybe five different things that they want from a CC, do a ton of research, and be prepared to get 4 or 5 (no more!! seriously!!!) CC's that pretty well cover all your wishes.

I don't pay fees for CC's either, but I completely understand the thinking behind coughing up $25 for a Zync, in terms of what it can do for those new to credit. Heaven knows, many of us piddle away $25 on stranger things. Smiley Tongue 

* ponders DD#2's buying habits while back in college * 

* ponders my own buying habits even today *

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 38 of 106
jhtrico1850
Regular Contributor

I never had a credit card before at a certain point because I was financially prudent... Until I saw a letter in the mail from Capital One offering a fixed 6.9% APR. That is unbelievable, so being financially smart, I of course had to jump on it. This was around the fall of 2007 I believe... Even after the credit crisis and the CARD Act, Capital One didn't jack the rate, so I doubt they'll jack it in the future.

Message 39 of 106
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well this thread was two pages long and I was like woah who all posted.

Anyways I like my zync because

the prestige ( not going to lie :-) )

I was not aware that this is a particularly prestigious card. Sorry, not going to lie either. It can be had with rather mediocre credit score/profile. However, you can always upgrade to the platinum later and feel more prestigious (but then you have to pay much more for that feeling).

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. While a Amex Centurion holder will probably look down upon the great unwashed carrying Zync cards, the Zync owners will feel proud not to carry a First Premier card or something similar.

People might say: Wow, that guy can afford to pay the $2500 annual fee for the Centurion card. He must be special. Nobody will say: Wow, that guy can afford to pay $25 for his Zync.

I guess I don't care about "prestigious." I guess I am out of zync with prestige (lame pun intended).

I think the Amex Blue (and Blue Cash) look much snazzier than the Zync. But again, that's only my personal taste. It's not a bad taste as it saves me $25 annually.

Message 40 of 106
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.