Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The all new Costco Anywhere Visa card by Citi

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Latest on Costco and Citi Bank Visa

Finally!!! I will be able to use a VISA card at COSTCO. I always thought that their exclusive deal with AX was terrible esp for those of us who do not have or who do not want an AX card.!  I have been buying large purchases at AMAZON specifically because Costco did not accept a VISA card. I will def give more business to COSTCO once this change takes effect.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 31 of 551
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Very Interesting article. Sure doesn't make Amex look great. Amex seems to have a pretty high opinion of themselves and that's fine to an extent. What I found funny was the lady at the end of the article. She was approved for the Costco Amex and was excited because she said you have to to have perfect credit to get an Amex. That gave me a good a chuckle seeing as how many stories I've read on here about $1,000 Sl's I think I've even seen a $500 Sl on an Amex, that's some rare air right there. 

Message 32 of 551
creditguy
Valued Contributor

While I agree that on the surface it makes no sense to limit yourself to one card, especially when its a card with one the smallest market share. But when you consider that Costco customers tend to be more higher income and spend more than customers at lets say Sam's club, then you look at the chart of Amex cardholders spending habits and maybe it actually made sense to deal exclusively with Amex. Either way it won't matter much longer. 

Market share based on number of cards in circulation (End of 2014)

Visa MasterCard American Express Discover
304 million191 million63 million64 million
48.9%30.7%10.1%10.1%
(Sources: SEC filings from Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)

Annual and monthly purchase/spending volume (End of 2014)

Visa MasterCard American Express Discover Overall
Annual$3,990$3,178$10,992$1,805$4,215.1
Monthly$332.5$264.8$910.2$150.4$351.3
(Sources: SEC filings from Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)
Message 33 of 551
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Will new Citi TL retain backdating or will actual account opening date be reported? I hope so--it would be like having an additional backdated Amex.

given that it's Citi with their history of crapping all over people's tradelines, i'm guessing a big no.

Message 34 of 551
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those that have a costco Amex may want to log into their account. I just did to make a payment and got a popup preapproved offer with a reminder at the bottom that the costco Amex was going away next year. Both accounts would be active until then but that the costco one would eventually be shut off.

May wait a little to see if the offer changes.
Message 35 of 551
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Poking around the interwebs ... the actual agreement between Costco and Citi does show up at SEC:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/909832/000090983215000012/costex10110qa51015.htm

LOTS of redacted stuff in there for confidentiality, but it looks like the rewards program will remain the same - an annual rebate based on 3% back on gas (up to 4k in gas purchased), 2% restaurants, and 1% everywhere else including Costco. BAH HUMBUG!

There is an "additional rewards" section that was redacted so maybe there's more "bonus" earning opportunity, but ... we'll see.

LOTS of other info - confirming that there will be new account numbers too.

Message 36 of 551
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MJ-san wrote:

Poking around the interwebs ... the actual agreement between Costco and Citi does show up at SEC:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/909832/000090983215000012/costex10110qa51015.htm

LOTS of redacted stuff in there for confidentiality, but it looks like the rewards program will remain the same - an annual rebate based on 3% back on gas (up to 4k in gas purchased), 2% restaurants, and 1% everywhere else including Costco. BAH HUMBUG!

There is an "additional rewards" section that was redacted so maybe there's more "bonus" earning opportunity, but ... we'll see.

LOTS of other info - confirming that there will be new account numbers too.

What I'm hearing you say is that between my QS and my Chase AARP, there is no reason to get the Citi Costco card. Check.

Message 37 of 551
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't take that too seriously.  It is possible the rewards stay the same (unless they really care what Sam's Club offers).  However, some of what is in that document is as of the date it was signed.  For example, one section regarding Costco still says they take American Express, indicating it represents the present case and not the future case.

As has also been pointed out, there are tons of different Visa products out there.  It is in Citibank's best interest to convince Costco users to pull their card out away from Costco instead of an existing Visa product the consumer may have.  So there is definitely an argument to have better rewards.

Message 38 of 551
creditguy
Valued Contributor

The Canadian Costco capital one has a 3-2-1 structure as well, except it's 3% on restaurants 2% on gas and 1% everything else, so probably there will be nothing exciting about Citi Costco that didn't already exist or you can't find elsewhere.
Message 39 of 551
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

There's a poster on this board who works at Costco, and he mentioned on another recent Costco thread that he had overheard something about the benefits for the new Costco Visa. Apparently it will give 5% on gas, 3% at restaurants, and most importantly, 2% on general spend. Not sure if that last number was a typo on his part or if he was just kidding, but if it does turn out to be true, this card will be a game changer.

Message 40 of 551
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.