cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best CC's for all the different categories. Giving and looking for recommendations.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The best CC's for all the different categories. Giving and looking for recommendations.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's wrong with forward? lol

Well aside from being no longer available it isn't really 5%. Yes, you get 5x points, but try redeeming for statement credit/cash back and it's closer to 2-3%. Which is still not terrible, but it's not 5%.

I am aware you can cheat and request a "mortgage redemption" even with no mortgage, but you shouldn't have to go through such lengths to get full value of your points. You do get the full 5x on gift cards too from what I understand.

Nevertheless, doesn't matter, as the card is discontinued.

It's not 5% for statement credit, but similaly Amex isn't X% if you use shop with points, some citi cards and your very favorite Venture and Arrival don't give max value for cashback either.        

But for gift cards, student loan/morgage it is 5%, for AA miles with Prestige it is 8%, and with Prestige/Premier you can transfer and get various values.   So yes, not the best card for getting straight cashback,  but categorizing it as 2-3% because of that is misleading IMO.

But yes, it is almost certainly discontinued  (Almost certainly because the 5x TYP kept cropping up via various links till Citi really did seem to find the last one, that I know of anyway)

the whole neat factor with citi forward isnt in itself or compared to another card... its that it earned extra points in areas and could be transfered to a premier or prestige... right?

Think of it as if it was a Freedom with no cap with the same 5x UR categories year round. Very lucrative for a CSP or Ink Plus cardholder with the right categories.

EXACTLY!   Anybody with a citi forward wanna get married lol.  Put that as number one on criterion:  1. Must have Citi Forward.  2. must have scores above 750, low inqs. 3. must love dogs.

Message 21 of 28
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: The best CC's for all the different categories. Giving and looking for recommendations.

The only category you actually identified was gas.  The other stuff you listed like APR, high limit, everyday, baller and even rotating are really general or at least uncontrolled.

You should figure out what categories you actually spend the most in, then look for cards that actually address those.  For me, the top 5 spending categories in order are:

1. Travel

2. Dining

3. Amazon (everything people buy from Walmart, department stores, books, whatever, I get from Amazon)

4. Gas

5. Groceries

So, once you define the problem, the solution is easy.  I have the SSFCU Power Travel Rewards for 3.3% on Dining & Travel, the Amazon store card and SM for Amazon, and SM for gas & groceries.

Message 22 of 28
noobody
Established Contributor

What is gonna happen when citi nerf the forward eventually? Lol
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 23 of 28
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@noobody wrote:

Don't even speak that into the universe! lol they will have to pry my pink/purple Forward card from my dead, cold hands!  For a while before Sallie Mae and Amazon store card were around, it was the default card for Amazon shopping.  

And while redeeming for Mortgage/SL checks is an additional step, its not THAT hard to do.  I request them regularly and have yet to have any problems calling and ordering more with someone.  

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 24 of 28
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Another vote for Penfed Cash rewards. The only card I use for gas!
Message 25 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@leoment wrote:

@noobody wrote:

Don't even speak that into the universe! lol they will have to pry my pink/purple Forward card from my dead, cold hands!  For a while before Sallie Mae and Amazon store card were around, it was the default card for Amazon shopping.  

And while redeeming for Mortgage/SL checks is an additional step, its not THAT hard to do.  I request them regularly and have yet to have any problems calling and ordering more with someone.  

I don't know if there are that many out there for this to be any sort of priority for Citi.   We've heard imminent nerfing stories for the previous two years.   It would be easy to do, hasn't happened yet, so go day to day!

As leoment says, for Amazon there are some good viable alternatives now.  Others not quite so clear.   But the biggest losers would be those that use AA with the prestige, 8% is pretty good!

Message 26 of 28
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully this will help others just as much as it'll help me. 

"Best" lists are pointless as best is highly subjective.  If there was one universal best card for each category then this the majority of threads in this subforum wouldn't exist.  It's up to each to determine the criteria for "best" and to then find cards that suit those critieria.  Don't assume that your criteria for best are universal.  If you want recommendations then provide your specific critieria.

When it comes to rewards there are a number of factors at play including one's spend.  If looking at cards other than cash back then there are a lot of subjective matters involving redemptions that come into play as well.

@Anonymous wrote:

Low APR

Super High Limit

While the creditor/product plays a part the bigger role is played by one's credit and income for these.  Do not simply rely on a card to get you a low APR and/or high limit.

@Anonymous wrote:

Gas Rewards: I need a gas rewards card since i work in the auto industry and i spend a lot on gas. Considering a Sallie May MasterCard for the 5% cash back on the first $250 of gas.  Only thing about that is i spend much more than $250 on gas a month.  What else would you folks recommend?

Another example of why you use your needs/wants to select cards instead of going about it backwards.  If your spend in a category exceeds a card's cap then why would you select that card if there are options without caps?  If your credit qualifies and if you can set up a "qualifying product" (see the PenFed site for details) then look into the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards.

@Anonymous wrote:

Rotating Rewards: Looking for a rotating rewards card.  I'll probably apply for a Discover IT card since i have good history with them, paid on time and in full and closed account years ago.  Some people advise to get two rotating rewards cards, so maybe Chase Freedom?

Mentioned above but yet another example of the subjective nature and why one needs to consider one's specific critieria versus reling on a list.  Discover is popular but if one can leverage UR points then might be able to get better value with the Freedom.  If the double cash back offer is still available then Discover may be a better fit.  The calendars can change from year to year but take a look at prior calendars and see if one suits you better than the other.

@Anonymous wrote:

"Baller Status": Maybe looking for the "baller status" card eventually but this is less of a priority for me.  Maybe Chase Sapphire Preferred or Amex Gold or Platinum?  CSP is made of metal and looks nice.  Amex seems to cater to the upper percentile.

Useless critieria IMO.  Status and prestige do not come from a card.  Again, select cards based on your specific needs/wants instead of selecting a card or cards (or creditor) and trying to justify them.  AmEx has a wide variety of products.  There are a lot of metal cards and metal isn't of any real benefit.

That said, it's your call as to what your priorities are.  If you want to flash a card around then the Visa Black is made just for you.  However, people that are easily impressed by a card probably aren't worth impressing.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

kdm31091 - "Discover IT is much nicer than Freedom IMO"

What a coincidence.  I think the myFICO gods are calling upon me.  Discover just mailed a "pre-approval" letter yesterday.  Maybe it's my calling to apply for Discover IT?  I'll have to hold off first though since Chase should get priority first with their 6 card limit

jfriend33 - "Bank Of America may be your ticket. They do offer generous limits, I have seen as high as $40k.  How much do you spend a month on everything?  What are your scores?  (re: Marukai JCB) You have to spend a min of 20 grand a year just to get the 3%"

A bank card would hold significant priority over a high limit store card.  Thanks for the BoA suggestion!  On average i have approximately $7k go thru my CC's.  My scores are around the low to mid 700's across the board.  I was just on the JCB Marukai Hawaii site and it says "Earn up to 3% Cash Back points on over $3,000 spent yearly".  BTW, what's wrong with Chase?

salt_water_swimming - "PenFed and Fort Knox CUs have uncapped gas cards that would be better for high gas spends.  For high limits you can't beat Capital One Venture, but NASA and Navy FCU give out good ones too. I dont endorse apping for a card just for a CL though."

I'm currently a member with Penfed though that account has been at idle with virtually no money.  They didn't approve me for a auto loan around a year ago.  This was before my credit scores started climbing at a record pace (for me).  I'm assuming you're referring to the Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa?  How difficult is it to qualify?  I have low to mid 700's across the board and have a 5% util.  No derogs in the last 2+ years.  The only reason i want a super high limit CC is because i plan to carry a 20-40% balance eventually and this is to help with util.

SharinganDouble Cash is a great choice for this criterion. It has supplanted a number of my cards for this purpose.  I have three 5% cash back gas cards: Sallie Mae, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, and the Sam's Club MC. I would advise the PenFed card if you can qualify for it. It suits the purpose extremely well, and I like the way PenFed awards the 5%."

Yup.  I got my eye on Citi Double Cash but that'll probably be sometime next year after i get a mortgage.  QS1 is just fine for now.  And also, are you referring to the Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa?  How difficult is it to qualify?

longtimelurker - "Yes, there are several 5% cards and which one to get depends if other categories on the same card is useful.   As above, the PenFed Plat Cash Rewards works very well for this, the 5% deducted from the cost so you don't need to do anything.   It only applies to pump purchases, not those inside, if that matters."

Thanks for that.  As weird as it sounds, i actually kinda like having cash back instead of deducting from my gas charges.  It's kinda like a "kitty fund" for my next vacay.

happypill - "You should figure out what categories you actually spend the most in, then look for cards that actually address those"

As of right now, my biggest spend is rent.  I would assume rent payments don't belong in the rotating 5% categories.  Second biggest spend is restaurants.  I'll have to assess further though.

Gmood1 - "Another vote for Penfed Cash rewards. The only card I use for gas!"

Thanks!  Penfed Cash Rewards is looking more and more attractive.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.