Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The comprehensive Comenity data points thread

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Comenity length question

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry, naysayers ( and I see some if you above who are naysayers in a lot if posts here, but I and others find this kind of info very useful. We're here to share info, and no one is claiming it is going to tell the whole story. It'll be really helpful to see.

As a professional naysayer, my point is that while it may be interesting to see, it may not be helpful.   And the danger is confusing the two.   But of course carry on.

Message 11 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

The comprehensive Community data points thread

Thanks, everyone, keep the helpful data points coming and these may be of help for us as reference points. I'm sorry this is continuing to happen to good, loyal customers.

In another post, someone mentioned they thought that people had their cards being kept open if they were using the cards and generating profit for Comenity. That sounds good in theory, but is not always the case. I do think another concern is that they have shut down at least 6 people completely (that we are aware of; there may be more) who have only a few Comenity cards and actually were using the cards, so there was profit for Comenity involved.

In other instances, there has been selective shutdown, where a few members reported having one Comenity Visa closed and other Comenity Visas left open. So it's not just Visas vs. store cards we are talking about here.

I noticed a post (google Comenity complaints; I believe ir was on wallethub) from someone who was apparently not part of the myfico community and that person posted that Comenity had shut their cards shut down as well. Disconcerting.

Comenity is so disorganized that I'm not sure there is a strategy here to the actions they are taking against consumers.

When I saw them shutting down three people on myfico who had FICO Scores in the 740-772 range and had only a few Comenity cards, and noticed several people posting that family members (sister and also husband) were shut down who had only one or two Comenity cards, that really threw any algorithm for a loop.

I think generally they are shutting down people with high EQ inquiries (and possibly high EX inquiries according to Gregg) who applied for a ton of Comenity accounts at once, but I've seen reports from at least 6 people on myfico who don't fit that mold and have been shut down. 

Several members who have been shut down (mattmyfico was one of them) reported that they received targeted preapproval offers for other Comenity cards after being shut down! That is mind-boggling and speaks volumes to the disorganization inherent at Comenity.

One person also posted here that he had just received a good-sized CLI one week before being shut down.

I also think they are in a downward spiral as a company and are not making the best business decisions at this time.

Message 12 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The comprehensive Community data points thread

@Anonymous wrote:

Several members who have been shut down (mattmyfico was one of them) reported that they received targeted preapproval offers for other Comenity cards after being shut down! That is mind-boggling and speaks volumes to the disorganization inherent at Comenity. One person also posted here that he had just received a good-sized CLI one week before being shut down.

I also think they are in a downward spiral as a company and are not making the best business decisions at this time.

This is not unique to Comenity, Amex does the same thing, and is often due to the company being made of several departments each with their own goals.

Immediately after shutting down my Amex card, I got a CLI on another Amex card.  A week later I applied and was given another Amex card.  Then, one month after shutdown, I applied for and was given exactly the same card that had been shutdown.    So if you want an example of strangeness....!

Many others who were shutdown had been given an auto-CLI shortly before, because one group detected lots of spend by these users and as they had to make multiple payments per month, raising the CL was obviously a good move.    Then another group decided that the spending was not what they wanted.

Now of course some think Amex is also on a downward spiral making poor decisions, but I am sure other CCCs do similar things.

Message 13 of 43
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

humuhumunukunukuapuaa wrote:

Thanks, everyone, keep the helpful data points coming and these may be of help for us as reference points. I'm sorry this is continuing to happen to good, loyal customers.

In another post, someone mentioned they thought that people had their cards being kept open if they were using the cards and generating profit for Comenity. That sounds good in theory, but is not always the case. I do think another concern is that they have shut down at least 6 people completely (that we are aware of; there may be more) who have only a few Comenity cards and actually were using the cards, so there was profit for Comenity involved.

I think generally they are shutting down people with high EQ inquiries (and possibly high EX inquiries according to Gregg) who applied for a ton of Comenity accounts at once, but I've seen reports from at least 6 people on myfico who don't fit that mold and have been shut down.  

FWIW -- I was the one that posted the theory about having high util and using the cards.  In terms of Inquries -- mine are THROUGH THE ROOF -- especially on EQ. Again, hanging head in shame ... inqs on EQ are 50+ over the last 2 years (includes 2 rounds of car-buying when I was shot-gunned through multiple car dealers), hubris in applying for cards I had no hope of getting, and generally, just showing really incredibly poor judgement.
So -- at least for me, they aren't spooked by my INQs... at least yet!  
First several comenity cards were opened in February.  Last 2 were in July.  I have about 5-6 open right now and have gotten auto CLIs on the 2 most recent within the last couple of months.
Cheers!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 14 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The comprehensive Comenity data points thread

hello folks

no AA yet. have about 40 comenity cards, all store cards. hard pull for all of them. everything still in tack

Message 15 of 43
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

1) Total number of Comenity cards closed and total CL's with Comenity (total exposure) ~20K

2) Number of cards that were opened recently (last 2 months) Three

3) Any recent changes in credit report (higher utilization, etc.) None

4) EQ score if you are willing to share 710 FICO 8

5) Number of EQ inquiries if you are willing to share 9 in the last 12 months, 11 total

6) Cards obtained via SCT or regular method I had the SGV, Overstock, Wayfair, and HSN via SCT and the Fuel Rewards MC and VA Visa were regular pre approval apps

7) Your Comenity card utilization if willing to share PIF except a couple of ~$300 balances from holiday shopping on Wayfair and Overstock

8) Some members have reported one Comenity Visa being closed while other Comenity Visas were left open. Please share if you experienced this type of selective shutdown. They closed all of my accounts with them

I forgot to mention that I had received auto luv on my Overstock and Wayfair cards just a bit before the AA happened (maybe a week or so, can't remember exactly).

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 16 of 43
gibeon
Established Contributor

They closed my SG Visa at 1 month. I had charged one or two coffees to the card in that time, and had PIF. Got the card via popup at SG on 10/20.

1) Total number of Comenity cards closed and total CL's with Comenity (total exposure) 1 Card Closed (SG VISA) with $1.5k limit ($9k total exposure over 7 cards)

2) Number of cards that were opened recently (last 2 months) Comenity cards opened prior (all via SCT): JCrew 5/22, Overstock 6/28, Modells 7/2, Buckle 8/1, Wayfair 10/16, SG Visa 10/20, Lenovo Preferred 10/28

3) Any recent changes in credit report (higher utilization, etc.) No major changes, if anything, utilization went down 

4) EQ score if you are willing to share Low 660's

5) Number of EQ inquiries if you are willing to share Mid 30's when they gave me the card, only one or two more after I got the popup

6) Cards obtained via SCT or regular method All my commenity cards were by SCT

7) Your Comenity card utilization if willing to share Effectively 0% (almost always PIF the store cards, unless I'm trying for CLI)

8) Some members have reported one Comenity Visa being closed while other Comenity Visas were left open. Please share if you experienced this type of selective shutdown. Just my one Comenity Visa was shut down. As of two days ago, my store cards were still open (the ones I hadn't closed) including Wayfair ($2k), Lenovo ($1.8k), Overstock ($1.2k), and JCrew ($1.5k)

Additional info:

24 CC's opened (since 2/14 this year) before SG Visa approved via SCT. 5 CC's opened after SG VISA approved. Closed 6 CC's voluntarily (secured and store cards) $70k in personal CL's + $30k on one AU account.

All payments on time, and either PIF or 5-10x minimum payment.

Utilization is at 12% overall, and no individual accounts over 30%

Thoughts on Comenity Shut Down: Would rather they had just not bothered offering me the SG Visa in the first place, if they're pop-up didn't account for inquiries. Not particularly mad or disappointed, but I don't think I'll be keeping the store cards after I finish paying down the holiday spending and get my utilization down after my retention bonus from work. I've decided I would rather get cash/miles for my spend rather than store points. 

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 17 of 43
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

the only thing they closed on me was SG VISA which was shopping cart trick!!  $2,000 limit

I have:

Appleseeds   SCT  11/15   250

Wintersilks   SCT   10/15   250

Barneys        APP   6/15   29,650

C & B          APP    7/15     7,000

Overstock     SCT  10/14   3,200

Grandin RD  SCT   10/15    1,750

Ballard         SCT   11/15    1,000

Lenovo        SCT    9/15     1,200

Jessica L     SCT   11/15      500

Brylane        SCT    6/15       500

VS               SCT    9/13     1,650

P.B.             APP   7/15      5,200

RH              APP    4/15     9,800

Wayfair         APP  10/15     2,600

Kohler          APP   5/15      5,250

TOTAL:                           69,800

I have used them all at least once except KOHLER Generators.

I closed earlier this year some cards from 2012 to 2014.

Eddie Bauer

True Value

Roaman's

King Size

Marathon

Ann Taylor

Simply Be

Marisota

Gander Mountain

Venus

Linensource

Full Beauty

Beall's

NO CURRENT balance on any Comenity cards.

Message 18 of 43
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

There ya go 

humuhumunukunukuapuaa!!

Message 19 of 43
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Several members who have been shut down (mattmyfico was one of them) reported that they received targeted preapproval offers for other Comenity cards after being shut down! That is mind-boggling and speaks volumes to the disorganization inherent at Comenity. One person also posted here that he had just received a good-sized CLI one week before being shut down.

This is not unique to Comenity, Amex does the same thing, and is often due to the company being made of several departments each with their own goals.

Immediately after shutting down my Amex card, I got a CLI on another Amex card.  A week later I applied and was given another Amex card.  Then, one month after shutdown, I applied for and was given exactly the same card that had been shutdown.    So if you want an example of strangeness....!

Many others who were shutdown had been given an auto-CLI shortly before, because one group detected lots of spend by these users and as they had to make multiple payments per month, raising the CL was obviously a good move.    Then another group decided that the spending was not what they wanted.

Now of course some think Amex is also on a downward spiral making poor decisions, but I am sure other CCCs do similar things.

That probably had very little effect on the credit score of someone who has well established and aged tradelines, but for someone like me where it's all less than 2 years old, that would seem like I was either spinning my wheels or took one step forward and ended up two steps back.  I mean, I don't know how long you'd had that card, but the effect of closing one and opening a new one would probably tank my score at this point.  As for your example, yeah that is strange.

I closed on my house in early October and a week or so later went to a local furniture store to see about a new bedroom suit for my son's new room.  I applied for the store's financing and was declined.  I asked which bank they used and was told Synchrony.  I have 3 Synchrony cards that are paid off each month and used quite a bit so when I got home I decided to log in but first I had an email from them that my Amazon CL had just been increased from $700 to  $1900.  Go figure.  When I got the denial letter it was the old  "too many inquiries and new accounts" explanation.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.