cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The credit card fairy loved me thru my BK!

tag
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

The credit card fairy loved me thru my BK!

Hi everyone..It's been a while since I've posted and I wanted to share my progress... 

I had been faithfully using my FNBO secured card since July 2011, making sure to keep balances low and PIF every month.  After I completed my bk payments, I sent in a $200 dep to increase my limit and they HP'd me for it.  I was livid but they doubled the amount of my dep and added $400 to my limit so it eased the blow a bit.  About a month later, FNBO sent a pre-approval for their unsecured card.  I called in to ask a CSR if they would HP me again, if I returned the unsecured app.  The CSR said yes which made me hesitant to app right away so I decided to sock drawer my app for a bit until I received my bk discharge.   After finally receiving discharge, the reality of being out of "financial prison" for the first time in years scared the crap out of me.  I didn't know which way to go with my new found freedom for fear of making the wrong move. I just kept reading and researching these forums.  I finally decided to app with NFCU for membership and cash rewards CC.  I was approved the same day with a $500 limit.  I was surprised since I've read that they like to see two accounts post BK and I only had the one secured acct.  This gave me just the confidence boost I needed to return my FNBO application.   It seemed like the manual review took forever but I was approved with a $2300 limit!  I couldn't believe it so I just wanted to share this.  Luckily, I did not have to start with the usual Cap1's, Credit1's or FP's.  I'm so happy.  I know the NFCU will grow so I can't complain about that at all.  I am gardening these a bit to try and get a good increase in my scores for a mortgage loan but I just wanted to tell others in my shoes--there is life after BK. Smiley Wink

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: The credit card fairy loved me thru my BK!

Congrats on your progress and approval. The myFICO member fairies are here for you too Smiley Wink

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Well done keep up the good work

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 5
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!! The NFCU acct will treat u wonderfully!

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Nice going, Keep up the hard work. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.