Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The downside of good credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The downside of good credit

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
What happened to chivalry? How could a man let another may pay for his date's meal? I guess I'm getting old.

I think the unspoken rules on a split check are very clear. Now if it wasn't a split check the guys need to fight to the bitter end on paying the check. =D

Message 21 of 133
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

I make an attempt to never fuss about these things. If someone wants to pay for my dining experience, fine by me. But I am always quick to pull out my card to pay for at least my portion of my own dining experience. If I was well off, I would automatically offer to pay for the table; but if others object, I don' t make a fuss about it. It seems as if people need to fuss about these things, because they are insecure about someone else thinking poorly of them. So be it. I say take it or leave it. I don't care what you might think of me.
earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 22 of 133
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow you were much more gracious than I would have been. Even if I made 6 figures I would not pay for someone like that who clearly has no boundaries/wanted to take advantage of me. Despite being early on in my career, I have never been greedy when it comes to treating my friends on certain occassions. They have never asked and I do it b/c I want to. I realize you were in an awkward position and just wanted to keep things chill but someone like that is not worth $250 of your money, no matter how much you make!

I make 6 figures and even I would have asked him (politely) to pay, since it's really not my responsibility. The problem isn't your Amex platinum, the problem is the other people you went out with.  It doesn't matter how much you make. it doesn't give them the right to eat all the food and then stiff you with the bill.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 23 of 133
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@chromonso1 wrote:

You just got hustled my friend. Don't let it happen again or Amex will FR you Smiley Very Happy

But you probably scored cool/gentlemans points with the lady friend so that's always fun. The amount gained is rougly equal to what the other man lost. 

Lost way too many brownie points. Yes, he did.  It'll be a dry night.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 24 of 133
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I can't understand someone actually having the stones to say that another man.

Sometimes my fiancee go out to dinner with some friends of ours, and they are much higher earners, and treat us to all sorts of things. Every single time they buy something for us I just feel a burning shame. I don't think they mind in the slightest, but it's always bothered me. I can never imagine actually looking at him like "well aren't you going to get this then?"

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 133
chris2k5
New Contributor

@JusdoNit wrote:

@chromonso1 wrote:

You just got hustled my friend. Don't let it happen again or Amex will FR you Smiley Very Happy

But you probably scored cool/gentlemans points with the lady friend so that's always fun. The amount gained is rougly equal to what the other man lost. 

Lost way too many brownie points. Yes, he did.  It'll be a dry night.Smiley Wink

Unless the girl is the same way...Then they are probably having a blast.

CapitalOne Platinum - $1500
Chase Freedom - $5000 Chase Southwest Premier - $3000
Discover More - $3700
Barclays US Airways - $1500
American Express Platinum, Gold PRG, and Zync - NPSL
Message 26 of 133
Open123
Super Contributor

@chris2k5 wrote:

@JusdoNit wrote:

@chromonso1 wrote:

Unless the girl is the same way...Then they are probably having a blast.

They could be the "Bonnie and Clyde" of leechers.

Message 27 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I missing something?  He asked "how should we handle this?" surely implying that he was willing to pay for his portion of the bill, then you stared at him without saying anything and left your card there.  It's certainly weird that he noticed/cared about/mentioned what kind of credit card you have, but if I were him, I would have had no idea how to interpret your behavior.

Message 28 of 133
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I just returned from dinner with my lady and two of her friends. I guess you can call it a double date. After two bottles of wine, and a very nice dinner at a 5 star restaurant, they brought the checks over. Well, since it was a double date, you would think that both of us men would pay for dinner. No! The Man my lady's friend was dating was intimidated when I chose to pay with my Amex platinum. Dude whispered in my ear,"how are we going to handle this? You have a platinum card." just because I earn a great living, it doesn't mean that I'm the "good time sucker." I covered dinner and after dinner,I explained to my lady why I don't hang out with her friends. Has this happened to any of you?

Smiley Indifferent

Obviously, this had nothing to do with your Amex, your income, or your good credit. This had only to do with a guy wanting a free meal. It was very generous of you, in spirit, to pay... especially if not doing so might have caused a scene, and ruined your date's evening. But honestly, some forms of kindness are a detriment to the recipients. It sounds like a classic user who rolled the dice with you, and won.

I think that, perhaps, the most appropriate response to his whispered entreaty might have been, "<whispered> Don't worry! I won't be embarrassed when you pay!" Smiley Wink

Edited to because the guy didn't really want free mail, LOL!

Message 29 of 133
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Probably should've just whispered back "down the middle", or something along those lines.

P.S. If I'd been him, I'd have whipped out my Capital One Platinum, as a point of pride Smiley Tongue

Edit: I see now your signature says your Amex Platinum is a Business card--could he have possibly thought you might be writing the dinner off as a business expense? (Not that that means he shouldn't have offered to pay for their share first.)

Message 30 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.