The downside of good credit

tag
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

Re: The downside of good credit

@tinuviel wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

@drsmith wrote:

I can't understand someone actually having the stones to say that another man.

Sometimes my fiancee go out to dinner with some friends of ours, and they are much higher earners, and treat us to all sorts of things. Every single time they buy something for us I just feel a burning shame. I don't think they mind in the slightest, but it's always bothered me. I can never imagine actually looking at him like "well aren't you going to get this then?"

you don't need to feel bad. they make more than you, and they are treating you kindly as high earners ought to. you'll pull out your card when they decide they feel like going 'dutch'. no big deal. its great when you are friends with someone that is generous and wealthy. they enjoy spending money on you. they know that they make more than you and want you to know in their way that they are the superior earners. they would feel awkward if they didn't cover the bill anyway. as long as you aren't pushing them to take you out to dinner than i would say you are good to go; enjoy the ride.

Yes, the difference here is that the OP isn't expecting it. The high earners in this case are offering to pay because they want to, not because they are being coerced. Completely different situation.

+1

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 51 of 133
FrugalRican
Blogger

That guy knew what he was doing when he saw you pull out that card. He might have had intentions of paying, but all that went out the window when he saw your Plat Plat be taken out. Pretty much a con-artist to me.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 52 of 133
teenastie
Established Contributor

Everyone seems to be offering you advised as to what you should have done. Here's what you should do now...

1. Send him a bill with the itimization of his and his gf's charges and collect payment.

2. Send him a bill for half the amount and collect payment.

3. Go to the same restaurant and let him pay (be sure to order lots of swanky Champaign).

4. Go to a different restaurant and let him pay (be sure to eat like a king)

5. Take him to Judge Judy she will handle him good!!!

Message 53 of 133
GB44
Contributor

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I just returned from dinner with my lady and two of her friends. I guess you can call it a double date. After two bottles of wine, and a very nice dinner at a 5 star restaurant, they brought the checks over. Well, since it was a double date, you would think that both of us men would pay for dinner. No! The Man my lady's friend was dating was intimidated when I chose to pay with my Amex platinum. Dude whispered in my ear,"how are we going to handle this? You have a platinum card." just because I earn a great living, it doesn't mean that I'm the "good time sucker." I covered dinner and after dinner,I explained to my lady why I don't hang out with her friends. Has this happened to any of you?

The only way to resolve tihis issue is double date with the couple again, but when the bill comes state that "You paid last time, so he can get the tab this time." This will keep it equal and allow you to have a good meal on him! Just in case, leave the credit cards at home and carry just emough cash for you and your date.

Smiley LOL

Message 54 of 133
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@GB44 wrote:

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I just returned from dinner with my lady and two of her friends. I guess you can call it a double date. After two bottles of wine, and a very nice dinner at a 5 star restaurant, they brought the checks over. Well, since it was a double date, you would think that both of us men would pay for dinner. No! The Man my lady's friend was dating was intimidated when I chose to pay with my Amex platinum. Dude whispered in my ear,"how are we going to handle this? You have a platinum card." just because I earn a great living, it doesn't mean that I'm the "good time sucker." I covered dinner and after dinner,I explained to my lady why I don't hang out with her friends. Has this happened to any of you?

The only way to resolve tihis issue is double date with the couple again, but when the bill comes state that "You paid last time, so he can get the tab this time." This will keep it equal and allow you to have a good meal on him! Just in case, leave the credit cards at home and carry just emough cash for you and your date.

Smiley LOL

+1

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 55 of 133
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@teenastie wrote:

Everyone seems to be offering you advised as to what you should have done. Here's what you should do now...

1. Send him a bill with the itimization of his and his gf's charges and collect payment.

2. Send him a bill for half the amount and collect payment.

3. Go to the same restaurant and let him pay (be sure to order lots of swanky Champaign).

4. Go to a different restaurant and let him pay (be sure to eat like a king)

5. Take him to Judge Judy she will handle him good!!!

. Haaaaaaaa! I'm taking him on Judge Judy!!!

Message 56 of 133
Open123
Super Contributor

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
I'm old school. If you go on a double date, the men should either split the bill evenly or one man should cover the entire bill. Money conversations should never be had in front of your dates. 

Well, I suppose he's sort of semi-old school.  At least, he asked you to pay, and not your or his date?

Message 57 of 133
FrugalRican
Blogger

I'm actually curious, Bronx, about what your gf said when you brought it up to her?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 58 of 133
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

I'm actually curious, Bronx, about what your gf said when you brought it up to her?

we really didn't discuss it last night. I wanted the evening to be great for her. She apologized this morning. I told her that it was unnecessary for her to do so.

Message 59 of 133
LynnBushea
New Contributor

This has happened to me, but only it was with a family member. It was not a 5 star restaurant but it went like this:

My parents and I live in different states, so when I come to town I like to treat them out to dinner (A dinner is best I can do since I can never repay them for all they have done for me through out the years).  So my date with them is to always go to this place that does a seafood buffet (mind you it is $50 per person). So the last time I was home my cousin decided to invite herself to come along. When the bill comes..she pulls out $3. I was PISSED. Not just because she did not have any money..but also because I am selfish when it comes to spending time with my parents. I didnt say anything..just paid the bill like a SUCKER...

Starting Score: 478
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 60 of 133
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.