cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of shiny credit cards in your mailbox?

tag
b_diddy
Established Contributor

The end of shiny credit cards in your mailbox?

In the past two days, I have received notices that USAA and Barclays are up on Apple Pay.  Will this eventually spell the end of receiving shiny new credit cards in our mailboxes? ... the end of the anticipation, anxiety, pursuit of the mail carrier?... say it isn't so!

2014-11-07_11-12-53.jpg

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Re: The end of shiny credit cards in your mailbox?

Speaking of Barclaycard, I'm definitely having an issue authorizing my card through Apple Pay. It tells me to call the provided number to verify and all that number does is give me my available credit, etc. I did this like the second they launched last week so maybe I'll try again.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 2 of 29
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I think we will still get cards. Not everyone has an iPhone just like myself. Nor do i want one XD
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 29
Luscher
Valued Contributor

You will still have cards for a long time. Not all merchants are going to have chip readers or nfc terminals, and not everybody in the world has a smart phone.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 29
awp317
Frequent Contributor

Not putting any card info in an electronic device that I loose all the time. Now all somebody has to do is steal your phone, not your phone and wallet. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 5 of 29
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I wouldn't have an iPhone if it was given to me Smiley Very Happy Please no offense to apple devotees, i am certain they are very nice, many of my friends swear by them.

It's just that in this camp we are strictly and forever ANDROID! (Lollipop) 6 inch screen Phablet loyals Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 29
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

Not putting any card info in an electronic device that I loose all the time. Now all somebody has to do is steal your phone, not your phone and wallet. 

That's actually not how Apple Pay works. Your credit card number isn't stored on your phone, it's stored in a secure element. And it's safer than swiping your card because the merchant only sees an authorization code for your purchase. They never see your name, credit card number, email, etc. So all of those credit card hacks at Home Depot and Target? They wouldn't happen with Apple Pay.

Now if you're someone who loses a $700 phone all the time, I assume you're also someone who loses your wallet all the time and there's really no help for that other than be more mindful! Smiley Wink

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 7 of 29
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I wouldn't have an iPhone if it was given to me Smiley Very Happy Please no offense to apple devotees, i am certain they are very nice, many of my friends swear by them.

It's just that in this camp we are strictly and forever ANDROID! (Lollipop) 6 inch screen Phablet loyals Smiley Happy

It's funny that nobody was even talking about Google Wallet until Apple Pay came out. You can still be in this camp as well! I actually read an article that said Google Wallet usage was up 50% since the introduction of Apple Pay. It's like Apple has to do everyone's advertising for them! Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 29
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

I have Apple Pay but have not used it yet (no stores near me have it) BUT the losing your phone with cards on it is NOT an issue at all, aside from what other posters have stated you need a finger print to approve a purchase. So unless your finger is "lost" with the phone I really don't think you have that much to worry about....LOL

Message 9 of 29
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

I have Apple Pay but have not used it yet (no stores near me have it) BUT the losing your phone with cards on it is NOT an issue at all, aside from what other posters have stated you need a finger print to approve a purchase. So unless your finger is "lost" with the phone I really don't think you have that much to worry about....LOL

The future of financial crime is hacked off fingers and thumbs! Goodness!

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.