cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The fees are coming! The fees are coming!

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: The fees are coming! The fees are coming!

@jsucool76 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Just got an email today that my marriott free night posted, and got the 15 elite night credits from my marriott card. 

My statement also cut today, but no AF on it (I assume it will be on next months statement, as my first statement in 2014 was october). Sent a SM asking to get the fee waived. 

All that means to me is...pretty soon the ritz fee is coming up. As much as I love the card, and plan on keeping it, i'm certainly not excited about shelling out $395 on it, and then $450 on my platinum at right around the same time. Those 3 cards put me at like $1000 in annual fees. I need to get back on my game of waiving fees =] 

Ugh. If you can't get waivers or good retention offers you may want to dump some of those cards. Of course, if you just got them recently for the signups that is more understanable in which case you are likely getting the signup rewards/credits/etc to offset most if not all the AFs. The prestige during the first year you literally get the entire AF back and then some iff you use the airfare credit . 

Ritz I'm definitely keeping (along with my marriott card) for the gold status and RC club level upgrades. I only stay at marriott properties, so until I can obtain gold status without it, I'll be keeping it. I'll be ending this year at at least 41 nights, maybe more. 

@Prestige (though I got it waived year 1) has already more than paid for itself with the $250 airline credit and the 4th night free benefit. Not to mention I've used admiral's club 6 times, for a total of 12 entries (with guests included). @ $50 each, that's $600 by itself (or a membership, which is $450) and priority pass a couple times. 

Platinum, obviously I got for the 100k points. Not sure that one will be a keeper at all, though I'll gladly pay the first year AF if I can't get it waived. 

Cards like my aviator card, I will obviously downgrade before the AF as I don't spend the $30k for the companion ticket, or the $40k for the EQMs. I don't mind paying for the red card though, as checked bags alone cost me far more than that annual fee. 

Yes if you can use the prestige the card really pays for itself. I just can't get myself to stay in one place for four nights! Why do you want to keep the ritz and marriott both? DO they each give nights towards elite status or is the annual free night on marriott card? Platnium would be a keeper maybe if you frequent an airport with centurion lounge. I didn't realize you were such a road warrior. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 21 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Only if citi would embrace me as a customer..  I guess I am not quite worthy yet as not pre-quaified for anything and heck not going to waste an inquiry on the Prestige with all my recent apps Smiley Happy..  They need to learn I bring no harm (persay) to them, I just need some benefits and I will pay the AF Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 61
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Jsucool as I recall you are a younger person with a lowish income, yes? There is no way someone in that position can really spend enough to justify all those fees and come out ahead. I would pick ONE high AF card, keep it, and get rid of the rest. That's just my opinion.

I'm 22. My YTD spend so far this year is approximately $27,738.51 across my credit accounts. 

Edit I'm adding in where the bulk of that spend went. 

Ritz card saw 10.4k (need that 10k for gold status) and my prestige got about 7k. And I have at least 3 more trips coming up. Disney this month, PA the week after, and then disney again in november. =] 

Message 23 of 61
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Just got an email today that my marriott free night posted, and got the 15 elite night credits from my marriott card. 

My statement also cut today, but no AF on it (I assume it will be on next months statement, as my first statement in 2014 was october). Sent a SM asking to get the fee waived. 

All that means to me is...pretty soon the ritz fee is coming up. As much as I love the card, and plan on keeping it, i'm certainly not excited about shelling out $395 on it, and then $450 on my platinum at right around the same time. Those 3 cards put me at like $1000 in annual fees. I need to get back on my game of waiving fees =] 

Ugh. If you can't get waivers or good retention offers you may want to dump some of those cards. Of course, if you just got them recently for the signups that is more understanable in which case you are likely getting the signup rewards/credits/etc to offset most if not all the AFs. The prestige during the first year you literally get the entire AF back and then some iff you use the airfare credit . 

Ritz I'm definitely keeping (along with my marriott card) for the gold status and RC club level upgrades. I only stay at marriott properties, so until I can obtain gold status without it, I'll be keeping it. I'll be ending this year at at least 41 nights, maybe more. 

@Prestige (though I got it waived year 1) has already more than paid for itself with the $250 airline credit and the 4th night free benefit. Not to mention I've used admiral's club 6 times, for a total of 12 entries (with guests included). @ $50 each, that's $600 by itself (or a membership, which is $450) and priority pass a couple times. 

Platinum, obviously I got for the 100k points. Not sure that one will be a keeper at all, though I'll gladly pay the first year AF if I can't get it waived. 

Cards like my aviator card, I will obviously downgrade before the AF as I don't spend the $30k for the companion ticket, or the $40k for the EQMs. I don't mind paying for the red card though, as checked bags alone cost me far more than that annual fee. 

Yes if you can use the prestige the card really pays for itself. I just can't get myself to stay in one place for four nights! Why do you want to keep the ritz and marriott both? DO they each give nights towards elite status or is the annual free night on marriott card? Platnium would be a keeper maybe if you frequent an airport with centurion lounge. I didn't realize you were such a road warrior. 

Ritz will give me gold status, as well as the $300 airline credit, and the 3 upgrade certs to club level. I only used one this year, but it's retail cost (if I paid for a club level room) would've been like $800 more than what I paid. 

Marriott gives me a free annual night. 

Message 24 of 61
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Jsucool as I recall you are a younger person with a lowish income, yes? There is no way someone in that position can really spend enough to justify all those fees and come out ahead. I would pick ONE high AF card, keep it, and get rid of the rest. That's just my opinion.

I'm 22. My YTD spend so far this year is approximately $27,738.51 across my credit accounts. 

Ritz card saw 10.4k (need that 10k for gold status) and my prestige got about 7k. And I have at least 3 more trips coming up. Disney this month, PA the week after, and then disney again in november. =] 

Where are you doing your disney stays? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 61
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Where are you doing your disney stays? 

Whichever marriott family properties I can get on the cheap. I very much enjoyed the castle hotel (autograph collection). Can be had for $100 a night (or under) most times of year. They also just had a AAA rate going where it was $100 a night with a $25/night hotel credit. (category 5)

I've done the FFI Lake Buena Vista (not marriott village), which was a decent hotel, and very reasonably priced (free) since I used 2 free night certs. (category 4)

I did one stay this year at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista South. Decent property, not marriott I know,but it was a great deal. Plus ES breakfast blows any select-service marriott brand out of the park. 

At the end of this month I may be doing the SHS Kissemmee, as it was $70 a night, plus 4th night free from Citi prestige. There was also a FFI by universal available for $52.50 a night (after trying every promo code on FT, the BWG code brought up this rate that was half the normal nightly AAA rate) but it looks kinda meh. Hasn't been renovated in a while. 

In november I'll either be doing the FFI LBV, the castle, or the RI LBV, not sure yet. 

I book like 40 hotels in one location, and then recheck rates, and cancel all the extras. 

Message 26 of 61
oracles
Valued Contributor

Let us know if you were able to get Marriott card fee waived please.

Message 27 of 61
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Get them waived!

Message 28 of 61
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Um, I told ya, no downgrades on Aviator.  Cancel or pay.

Signature needs updating
Message 29 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

jsucool76 needs a companion to help pay for the annual fees. Sheesh. Whomever is enjoying all those benefits with you better be chippin' in...lol

Message 30 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.