cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The fees are coming! The fees are coming!

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The fees are coming! The fees are coming!

Just got an email today that my marriott free night posted, and got the 15 elite night credits from my marriott card. 

My statement also cut today, but no AF on it (I assume it will be on next months statement, as my first statement in 2014 was october). Sent a SM asking to get the fee waived. 

All that means to me is...pretty soon the ritz fee is coming up. As much as I love the card, and plan on keeping it, i'm certainly not excited about shelling out $395 on it, and then $450 on my platinum at right around the same time. Those 3 cards put me at like $1000 in annual fees. I need to get back on my game of waiving fees =] 

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: The fees are coming! The fees are coming!

If the benefits aren't outweighing the fees then it's time to cut the card loose. No point in keeping a card just to say you have the card. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Prestige/Plat/Ritz gotta make some choicesSmiley Happy...  Unless of course you can get the AF's waived.  Obviously you went for the sign-up bonuses as I would of as well!  I plan on getting the Ritz @ 140k this years offer after the 1st year as you I will weigh my options.  Really only need 1 travel card, just gotta pick one.  you can eventually churn the Ritz and assume the prestige is also churnable?  Just gotta wait the two years on the ritz, not sure about citi. w/regards to the Platinum, I certainly most likely won't' keep it past the first year unless they magically waive the 2nd years AF, but I highly doubt that so it will be either cancelled or downgraded to Green.  Once my spend is up on the Plat I will be applying for the PRG @ 50k for 1k spend as well

Message 3 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I gladly pay my Prestige AF but ask for a spend challenge from retentions to make up the $100 gap. 😊
Message 4 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I gladly pay my Prestige AF but ask for a spend challenge from retentions to make up the $100 gap.😊

Aren't you needy Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spend bonuses are like a game for me honestly as I will certainly be spending regardless.
Message 6 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Spend bonuses are like a game for me honestly as I will certainly be spending regardless.

Oh I agree right when I am close to meeting one I am seeking my next CC or offer from a card I already have to move my spend to them to give me incentive!  I am going to spend regardless, which card though is the question!

Message 7 of 61
yfan
Valued Contributor

In general, AFs help pay for the benefits of the card. I agree with ojefferyo, if the cards aren't working for you with the AF, cut them loose. I wouldn't encourage churning here, or at all. For me personally, I don't much care for AF cards or the hassle to go through to get it waived/compensated, so I just don't have one.

What will be interesting is to see whether or not banks are beginning to crack down on AF waivers or equivalent bonus points by simply denying them, making some sort of smaller counter-offers or something else. Except for truly high spenders - who I doubt would bother asking for 400 bucks to be waived - it can't be very fruitful to them. Chase especially, I think has felt for some time that it has "arrived" to the point where lucrative spenders are trying to figure out how to get to Chase rather than only the other way around.

So do let us know how it goes, and if you feel any tightening on this.

Message 8 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever end up applying for the Platinum?
Message 9 of 61
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you ever end up applying for the Platinum?

Nope. Lol. Resisted that temptation successfully. I don't really want to get into point currencies (I'm too comfy with cashback/near-cash), don't care for the AF, and I already expect to get some of the benefits through (I know you don't like hearing about this card Smiley LOL) my Orbitz rewards. I'll be Platinum with Orbitz by this year (that's a function of nights, not the card), which means I get free TSA Pre-check, and reimbursement for two checked luggages once (or one checked bag twice), which should suit my needs well per year, among other things.

Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.