Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of Chase Freedom

tag
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: The future of Chase Freedom

I'm thinking the same kdm. You don't hear about it as much, and I can easily see them going in favor of the Unlimited version.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 11 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's hard to see them dumping it. I think both 5% rotating categories and 1.5% cash back card each have their place. Wouldn't Chase want to have both?

Message 12 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not much point to the Freedom without the 5% categories - Cap One and Citi have me covered for gen. spend.
Message 13 of 47
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

Like others said, the card is still available, you just have to select all cards. They are offering the same bonus as Freedom Unlimited.

I don't think the freedom is going anywhere for a while. So many banks are offering cards like the Freedom Unlimited with 1.5% cash back. I rather have my Freedom with the rotating categories because I have other cards that offer the same benefit as Freedom Unlimited. But thats just me, some poeple rather have the benefit of just getting 1.5% back and not having to worry about categories. 

Some may want the 1.5% on the things they would only get 1% back on non-5% category spending on the freedom. And they both add to the UR point total.

Truth! for me its not really a big deal but that's just me. I have a Freedom and Freedom Unlimited on it's way as my Zappos Visa was changed to a Freedom Unlimited. Giving me many many many options lol. 

Hey, I've been following your credit exploits for a little while lol. Just curious: how many inquiries do you have and does having a lot impede acquiring new cards? You have like every good card lol. I remember you saying you ran into some problems with a bank that escapes me.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 14 of 47
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's hard to see them dumping it. I think both 5% rotating categories and 1.5% cash back card each have their place. Wouldn't Chase want to have both?

The 5% categories are not profitable, so Chase is hoping you use the card for everyday spending and the 5%. I think most average consumers would rather not hassle with categories, hence the 1.5% cards. So if that proves succesful enough, there isn't much business reason for Chase to keep offering a 5% card that is a loss.

Message 15 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Imagine how many people FORGET to activate the 5% categories. It's just like mail in rebates. I think these companies already know a certain percentage of people will forget to turn on categories.. Hence only giving them 1% CB which is better for chase than the auto 1.5 found on unlimited..
Message 16 of 47
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Imagine how many people FORGET to activate the 5% categories. It's just like mail in rebates. I think these companies already know a certain percentage of people will forget to turn on categories.. Hence only giving them 1% CB which is better for chase than the auto 1.5 found on unlimited..

A good point too. I just know that in general, many 5% cards have either been watered down or gone away over time, suggesting they are either not popular, not profitable, or both. So I wouldn't be shocked to see the legacy Freedom disappear.

Message 17 of 47
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
They've definitely downplayed the card. It's still available but not as advertised. I think eventually only the freedom unlimited will be offered.

Chase definitely directing there marketing efforts towards the Unlimited. Both of my elderly parents get sent "unlimited" offers in the mail on a regular basis. Not once have they received an  offer for the regular freedom. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 18 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed they have downplayed it too but it doesn't mean that it's going anywhere. There are tons of credit cards that don't really get advertised, that doesn't mean they are all in jeopardy.
Message 19 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

A credit card only has to be advertised for a few months, maybe a year. Then it gets around by word of mouth after people sign up and other people see it.

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.