Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The never ending Balance transfer

tag
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

The never ending Balance transfer

This will be my first, my last, my only, balance transfer EVER.

I wanted to do a simple balance transfer from another credit card to my Cap One card because that card a better interest rate. Easy, right ?

5 days after the initial transfer I checked the balance of the card I wanted the transfer from and I still had a balance. The rest of the balance had already been paid so, I was in no worry about the min payment being made. I was just curious as why it still had a balance.

I called the CCC that still showed the balance, the CSR seemed unsure of what she was doing and was quick to cut me off, when I asked her what was going on. I thought it was a simple question but she spoke to me like I was stupid. I told her thank you for her help ( which was more like she had a bad attitude and wanted to just get rid of whomever she had to talk too). I got hung up on essentially and didn't get to do the survey....wonder why ?

I then proceeded to call Cap One and explained what the other representative told me to do and there I was. I kept telling him I was trying to make a balance transfer from another CC to them. His response was "Ma'am you've made a purchase from us to them, your giving them money from us" Girlfriend say what ???? I proceeded to tell him well maybe I've made a mistake, I just wanted to transfer a balance to this card from another. I'll be honest I believe because he kept saying you made a "purchase", threw me off but how does that and balance transfer imply they are the same? He then put me on hold. He came back to tell me, that he had CANCELLED my balance transfer. Yes, confused I was but I still didn't understand what was going on. Its now cancelled and he thinks he's a chip off the old block. He hung up and I did too.

I checked Cap one again to check if I had filled out something incorrectly and was just really that wrong but I wasn't it! I told him to that clearly something transferred to my Cap One in the form of that amount I made in the transfer but he kept saying they were not that same thing. Now Ill be doing this junk all OVER AGAIN! Just to have the other card end up posting with a balance because it will report before the transfer is done and I got some fee for having the transfer cancelled.....Good times , good stuff.

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: The never ending Balance transfer

Your post is confusing.

Are you expecting instant same day balance transfers?  

You probably had a balance on the card 5 days after you initiated a transfer because they haven't received the payoff check yet.  The card you are transferring to will show a balance... and you'll still have a balance on the card you are transferring from... until they recieve the check.

Or is there another issue?

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

+1 to what TRC_WA wrote.

I'm not sure I understand your problem, OP, but balance transfers do take time - sometimes several weeks - and it's normal that for a while, the debt you're transferring will appear on both cards at once. This is temporary and usually resolves itself in a few days. Is that what you're seeing?

The CSR's comment about purchases is confusing, but CSRs often misunderstand things. Can you just describe the original situation that caused you to be concerned?

Message 3 of 5
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

I did a balance transfer for the first time. I just wanted to know how long does it take to reflect on both sides. The Capital One CSR cancelled the transfer, he told me I did it wrong, when in fact he shouldn't without my permission. He just didn't know what he was doing. I just had a simple question and he F'D up my trancaction. Not a big deal, just a confusing and annoying situation.
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 4 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@LShawn08 wrote:
I did a balance transfer for the first time. I just wanted to know how long does it take to reflect on both sides. The Capital One CSR cancelled the transfer, he told me I did it wrong, when in fact he shouldn't without my permission. He just didn't know what he was doing. I just had a simple question and he F'D up my trancaction. Not a big deal, just a confusing and annoying situation.

Depending on the cc's involved, it can take up to 30 days. The longer time period is for those BTs that require checks to be mailed as opposed to electronic pyts. The usual time frame for BTs involving electronic payments can be 7-14 business days. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.