cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new credit card law - a mixed blessing?

tag
Established Contributor

Re: The new credit card law - a mixed blessing?

@Anonymous wrote:
After six month, they can change promotional rates to whatever they want. These six months will already be over before the law will be in effect. Cap1's act of today is a big "Got you!" sign to the lawmakers. 

It is not a "Got You" sign to the lawmakers. It is a "Got You" sign to the consumer. The lawmakers enacted the law that enabled the banks to stick it to consumers. The lawmakers deliberately enacted the law with Cap 1's blessing and financial support.  

Message 31 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditAble wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=162569

Congrats, that is how it should be. Smiley Very Happy

Someone argued in another thread, not all can PIF their monthly bill. I say, everybody can PIF his credit card bill in full.The point is, ppl want everything on the spot and are not willing to wait some month to save the money.That is what cause trouble.

Basically I agree with your statement. Furthermore when reading the other thread and additional posts about rate jacking, one theme seems to be constant. The rate increases are exorbitant and for "no reason". I have been warning everybody in my past posts about the exorbitant rate increases and credit limit decreases coming as a result of the July 2010 deadline for the Fed mandated "REFORMS". Now that Obama and the other politicians decided to pass some additional "feel good" laws the chickens are coming home to roost much sooner.

Yes people should be upset with the actions of credit card issuers like Cap 1 and others. The rate hikes are in excess of what would have been warranted with the "old system" of risk based pricing which was adjusted as a person's credit worthiness changed. The only reason that the banks can now raise the rates so high even for people who show no change in their repayment habits, is that Obama and the other politicians have now passed a law to assure the banks that the consumer cannot go elsewhere to obtain substantially lower rates. All of the competition in the former free marketplace, can no longer offer reasonable rates since there will soon be no longer an ability adjust the rates upward for people who suddenly demonstrate risky behavior.

We can of course blame the credit card issuers. The credit card issuers could not have taken the rate jacking measures if the partners in crime at the Fed, in the White House, and in Congress did not enact the anti free market place rules and laws.

So when we complain about rate jacks and all the other fees and that are still to come, lets not forget the real culprits in the matter. The bankers' buddies who run the Federal Reserve, and the politicians who the banks get elected are the real enablers of the pro bank anti consumer tsunami that will be taking place.

Read the many posts about the subject over the past year.  All the cheerleaders for the new "reforms" are also to blame because it was the "popular" support for the so called reforms that got the consumer into the current mess.

Wamarat,

I agree with you that PIF is the way to go. Generally it was people who owed substantial credit card debt who thought that they would save a bunch of money if only new "protections" were enacted for the consumer. Now people who don't pay in full will be paying a lot more for their existing debt. 

The sad fact remains that even if the consumers were to demand that Obama and Congress were to repeal the ill conceived law, the big banks will still make sure that the law stays in force. It will enable them to make more and more profits as time goes by. The smaller banks will not be able to compete by offering lower rates and eventually get gobbled up by the big banks.

The borrower is slave to the lender. After the government steps in to help, the slaves are worse off than ever. In the meantime the big banks will continue to finance election campaigns so that Presidents and Congress will continue to mandate reforms that only favor the banks at the expense of the taxpayer.

There is no way to stop the partnership between banks and politicians. The only self defense possible is to strive to PIF all credit cards whenever humanly possible, and to pay off any outstanding debt as fast as possible. We cannot lower the cost of credit by voting for politicians who need the banks more than the taxpayer in order to get elected.  

Forgive me, I am befuddled. How does the new law prevent a bank or a CU from marketing to and servicing a specific strata such as people with stellar credit? 
Would it not be profitable enough to cater to those who demonstrate responsible credit use? The advantage would be less defaults, right?

Message 32 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not a "Got You" sign to the lawmakers. It is a "Got You" sign to the consumer. The lawmakers enacted the law that enabled the banks to stick it to consumers. The lawmakers deliberately enacted the law with Cap 1's blessing and financial support.  

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, this is pure brilliance that the blind, deaf and dumb keep perpetuating. It's the laws fault for the CC companies unscrupulous behavour. While in fact, if they weren't doing unscrupuloous things thier would be no law. Genius, they were arbitrarily rate jacking already b/c they (BofA, Capital One, Chase, etc..)have being losing billions on their other endeavors, they were caught in the subprime garbage.Rate jacking on good customers which they have been doing is employed to have good customers pay off their stupid bets.

I guess maybe you don't watch the news or read a newspaper as there are daily reports of someone's rate doubling despite they have paid on time and have no change in their credit or the buisnessman who had his credit limit decreased by 10K b/c he bought something at Walmart that was supposedly not in a good area on a business trip. B/c people that shop their have a higher default rate he gets hot though the guy spent and paid off in full over 60K in thel ast year on the CC.

THATS CALLED ARBITRARY, UNSCRUPULOUS AND DESPICABLE, THAT'S STICKING IT TO THE CONSUMER!

But, by your brilliance all of this STICKING IT TO THE CONSUMER  is a reaction to the law and not the law a reaction to their bad behavior and to prevent expanding these unscrupulous beahaviors of arbitrary rate hikes. That's a bizarre circle logic you have.

Sorry things like actually bringing ethics and common sense ,such as  if a consumer is  not  on intro rate you can't rate jack without a reason bothers you so much. The laws provisions are common sense and sensible that any ethical and logical business would not have be told to do, but ofcourse both of those are oxymorons to CC companies. You have bought hook line and sinker the ABA's talking points instead of looking at their despicable behavior that ticked people off in the first place.

Message Edited by OTF on 05-22-2009 10:18 AM
Message 33 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

or the buisnessman who had his credit limit decreased by 10K b/c he
bought something at Walmart that was supposedly not in a good area on a
business trip.

I do not believe this stories, for me that are fairy tales, nothing more.

Message 34 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not believe this stories, for me that are fairy tales, nothing more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was on the NBC national news! I'll look for it.

But here's a similiar story reported by ABC

60% drop in credit line for shopping at Walmart despite good 760 credit score 

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/GetsAnswers/Story?id=6747461&page=1

Message Edited by OTF on 05-22-2009 10:25 AM
Message Edited by OTF on 05-22-2009 10:26 AM
Message 35 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditAble wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
After six month, they can change promotional rates to whatever they want. These six months will already be over before the law will be in effect. Cap1's act of today is a big "Got you!" sign to the lawmakers. 

You think the obvious big loopholes are deliberate? I'm not sure about that. I guess the law was simply hastily cobbled together. Cap 1 just told us that the law doesn't interest them. They'll do the same stuff as before, anyway.

Message Edited by Ulan on 05-22-2009 11:07 AM
Message 36 of 73
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

While you all may accuse me of being snarky, I must say: When it comes to bills being passed into laws, have any of you considered writing your Senators and House Representative; instead of just you know, complaining about it on the internet?
Message 37 of 73
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:
While you all may accuse me of being snarky, I must say: When it comes to bills being passed into laws, have any of you considered writing your Senators and House Representative; instead of just you know, complaining about it on the internet?

I do all the time. However, I've learned that it only matters if everyone in the state follows suit, as our elected reps are pretty much required to tow the party line in order to get good committee assignments and whatnot. 

Here we go again...
Message 38 of 73
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

I do all the time. However, I've learned that it only matters if everyone in the state follows suit, as our elected reps are pretty much required to tow the party line in order to get good committee assignments and whatnot.

Therein of course, lies the problem. While the whole country might complain about this bill or that law, next to nobody does anything about it... even just write a simple email.

But even as meaningless as one lone email may be, it's a million times more useful than complaining on teh interwebs.

Message 39 of 73
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

Therein of course, lies the problem. While the whole country might complain about this bill or that law, next to nobody does anything about it... even just write a simple email.

But even as meaningless as one lone email may be, it's a million times more useful than complaining on teh interwebs.

I agree with you. I'm going to again vote against both my Senators when the time comes. I voted against both of them in there now, but it didn't work. Haha. Smiley Very Happy

Here we go again...
Message 40 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.