Re: The official Barclaycar​d Ring Thread

Smiley Very Happy

Message 61 of 197
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: The official Barclaycard Ring Thread

@Anonymous wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

Still don't get what's so special about this card.

All I managed to read was 8% APR... which if you have a 25% APR but don't carry a balance, really doesn't mean much.

1% on cash thingy, okay, I can get that, but I don't often withdraw from a credit card...

So what else is there? I'm seeing a lot of buzz over the internet over this card, but still haven't really seen a why?

Is it because of the 680 to get it?

I'm interested in it because it has no fees and (in my opinion) is a good card to have around for times when you have to carry a balance.  Though if you have a steady and high income you would have no use for this card.

I wouldn't think that's true at all.  MANY steady and/or high income people carry debt, use balance transfers and do not pay in full.  Even ones who do may want this card.  It depends on the individual.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 62 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

Still don't get what's so special about this card.

All I managed to read was 8% APR... which if you have a 25% APR but don't carry a balance, really doesn't mean much.

1% on cash thingy, okay, I can get that, but I don't often withdraw from a credit card...

So what else is there? I'm seeing a lot of buzz over the internet over this card, but still haven't really seen a why?

Is it because of the 680 to get it?

I'm interested in it because it has no fees and (in my opinion) is a good card to have around for times when you have to carry a balance.  Though if you have a steady and high income you would have no use for this card.

I wouldn't think that's true at all.  MANY steady and/or high income people carry debt, use balance transfers and do not pay in full.  Even ones who do may want this card.  It depends on the individual.

Well I don't know why people who can pay their debt would carry it and continue to pay interest unless it's to try and maximize their FICO, in which case they are carrying only a small balance anyway and the rate probably doesn't matter much.  The BT is nice, but there are other cards that have a no fee BT that are easier to get approved for.

Also, I didn't say that people wouldn't want it, I said that they would have no use for it.  In other words, wanting the card and having a use for the card are not the same thing.  I want Zync because it looks cool, but I have no use for it. 

Message 63 of 197
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

There are plenty of reasons why people might want to finance something at 8%.  And credit card balances don't have to be carried forever - they can be carried for a few months, many months, or anything in between.  I have taken cash advances from credit cards to fund my brokerage account.  Why?  Well, with some issuers, there is no cash advance fee, and the interest is the same as for purchases.  I could use brokerage margin but in some cases choose not to (the interest is about the same or a percent higher at my brokerage for using their margin) or I may want to use it for a non-margin-eligible account.

Established Contributor

'm interested in it because it has no fees and (in my opinion) is a good card to have around for times when you have to carry a balance.  Though if you have a steady and high income you would have no use for this card.

Well I don't know why people who can pay their debt would carry it and continue to pay interest unless it's to try and maximize their FICO, in which case they are carrying only a small balance anyway and the rate probably doesn't matter much.  The BT is nice, but there are other cards that have a no fee BT that are easier to get approved for.

Also, I didn't say that people wouldn't want it, I said that they would have no use for it.  In other words, wanting the card and having a use for the card are not the same thing.  I want Zync because it looks cool, but I have no use for it. 

I disagree. People with high and steady income (however you define that) have debt and carry balances. Not because they want to keep a small balance, but because they can't afford to pay off everything they have charged. It is almost like the more money you make, the more things you can spend it on.....

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 65 of 197
Coldness
Contributor

I've been itching for a low interest Visa or MC...

I've always heard Barclay is senisitive to new accounts - how true is that? I just opened my Amex BCE a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't reported yet. Will Barclay and/or Amex freak out with 2 cards opening at once?

Amex sent me a 760 EX Fico, and I'm sure my TU isn't too different since I have no baddies anywhere, so I'm hoping I might be able to get approved. 

Message 66 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved for 3k after getting the 10 day and calling in. I asked for more and the offered $5000. TU was frozen so the pulled EQ.
Message 67 of 197
Coldness
Contributor

Bump. Those of you who are approved, what kinds of stats do you have? Inquiries? AAoA? Income? Scores? 

Message 68 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, please post your info if you got declined as well!  I'm really itching for this card, but I'm unsure of my TU and I have 5-7 inquiries in the past year.

Message 69 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The offical Barclaycard Ring Thread

I app'd, usual, wait time..called in today, talked to credit analyst..was told the following:

I met all criteria ie: credit score 680 although Betty was confused by this at first as being one of the criteria for acceptibility.

I handle my finances well - Per Betty

Oh and Betty did not like Chase although again explained that I had done an annual purchase of hardware purchases through both Barclays and Chase for the 0% deal Betty really did not like Chase being on my report... hmmm....

but...denied because of wow 1 large charge on their own zero percent offer for a legit computer purchase.

Frustrated, but went elsewhere and got 2 credit cards transferred to 8% APR.

Barclays, I like you but you can shove your ring Smiley Happy

Message 70 of 197
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.