Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The offical Barclaycard Ring Thread

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: The offical Barclaycard Ring Thread

@user5387 wrote:

I've been thinking of applying for this card.

But every time I do, the question keeps coming back -- how is this card different or better than a CC from a credit union?

You do not have to be a member (no strings!) of anything to apply for the card. 

That would be my #1 reason. Smiley Happy

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 131 of 197
Tikon
Established Member

I saw this thread recently so tried last night to apply for Ring. Got the more processing required notice. I called them this morning.

Call lasted a long time (30 min). They put me on hold ~10 times. Asked me about each of my recent cards (why did you open this account? this one? etc). I have a barnes and noble card with them opened 2 months ago.

They only pulled TU and reported my FICO score as 778. I have a collection account but it only shows up on Experian, so they confirmed I was showing no negatives.

DENIED!

I tried to argue several ways:

1) Can I transfer some of my $5,000 credit limit on my barnes and noble card to the Ring? No.

2) Can I cancel the B&N card for a Ring? No.

3) Can I explain anything else on report? No.

4) Can i change my B&N to Ring? No.

They said I won't be approved until I have 'an established payment history with the barnes and noble card'. I asked how long that is, they said until their system flags me as established, unknown time. Poop!

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 132 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tikon wrote:

I saw this thread recently so tried last night to apply for Ring. Got the more processing required notice. I called them this morning.

Call lasted a long time (30 min). They put me on hold ~10 times. Asked me about each of my recent cards (why did you open this account? this one? etc). I have a barnes and noble card with them opened 2 months ago.

They only pulled TU and reported my FICO score as 778. I have a collection account but it only shows up on Experian, so they confirmed I was showing no negatives.

DENIED!

I tried to argue several ways:

1) Can I transfer some of my $5,000 credit limit on my barnes and noble card to the Ring? No.

2) Can I cancel the B&N card for a Ring? No.

3) Can I explain anything else on report? No.

4) Can i change my B&N to Ring? No.

They said I won't be approved until I have 'an established payment history with the barnes and noble card'. I asked how long that is, they said until their system flags me as established, unknown time. Poop!

For better or worse, you are the first denial I have heard of thus far (though I haven't been keeping up very closely).  How long have you been with them?

Message 133 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied and received the further processing required message. Checked my application status online, and it said I was denied. Called and spoke to a credit analyst who approved me for $1,500. As others have mentioned, if you aren't instantly approved call the credit analyst line for recon. The gentleman I spoke to was incredibly nice, and it was a completely painless process.

Message 134 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The official Barclaycard Ring Thread

Has anyone received their cards yet?

I am wondering about asking for a CLI at activation and the success rate.

Message 135 of 197
SanityKills
New Contributor

Seems like the lucky number is $1500, like $1300 is for the Apple barclaycard.

CreditKarma TU: 680 | Credit.com EX: 668 | Equifax EQ: 671 | Credit Sesame Simulated FICO: 736
Citi Platinum Select: ($6900), Chase Freedom ($3500), Amex BCE ($5000), Amex CLEAR ($6000), Barclaycard Ring ($2800), Barclay Rewards MC ($2500), CareCredit ($4100), Kohls ($1000) | UTL: 3.14%
Message 136 of 197
Tikon
Established Member

Now that I've read through this thread I'm a little surprised I got denied.

They saw 0 derogs, an 8 year credit card account with good use and good payment history, a 2 year average age of credit card accounts, and a bunch of paid off accounts. 778 FICO to boot.

I did have 6 hard inquiries on my TU. I think that spooked 'em... I wonder if I would have any luck with a second call?

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 137 of 197
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely call again. My score was much lower than yours, with less history and I believe I had 5 inquiries prior to this application. When I called the inquiries weren't an issue at all.

Message 138 of 197
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone received their cards yet?

I am wondering about asking for a CLI at activation and the success rate.

Card approvals from the week of 4/9 were shipped on 4/19.  Based on that info I would guess that approvals from the week of 4/16 would ship around 4/26 and so on.

Message 139 of 197
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Tikon wrote:

Now that I've read through this thread I'm a little surprised I got denied.

They saw 0 derogs, an 8 year credit card account with good use and good payment history, a 2 year average age of credit card accounts, and a bunch of paid off accounts. 778 FICO to boot.

I did have 6 hard inquiries on my TU. I think that spooked 'em... I wonder if I would have any luck with a second call?

Did you receive a denial letter, with a reason why you were denied?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 140 of 197
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.