Reply
Established Contributor
djrez4
Posts: 504
Registered: ‎08-28-2012
0

The party is over.

I appear to have reached my limit with Chase.

 

They approved me for a Mileage Plus Explorer card this afternoon, but wouldn't push through the Ink Plus application, saying I'd applied for too many Chase cards specifically, and cards in general, in the last 12 months.

 

I've been dishing advice to everyone else over the past couple of days.  It's time to heed it myself.

 

So, in the spirit of introspection, I've reduced my signature image from "every single card I have"/Costanza:

 

Cards 2.png

 

to the current cards I intend to carry and use on a regular basis:

 

Cards 2.png

 

You'll notice the Explorer is not there.  Once I hit the bonus spend, it will remain around only for free bags, priority boarding, and the secret-squirrel access to more award seats.  With baggage fees at $25 for the first bag, the card pays for itself in four solo flights (two with my wife).  But, it gets no spend because, even on United flights, the CSP earns better.

 

So there you have it folks.  Rez is in the garden.  And I'm not mad about it, either.

Valued Contributor
afbar1114
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎01-09-2012
0

Re: The party is over.

also remember you get two passes to the united club each year worth $100 so if you use those as well your good to go. I use mine on a daily basiasis but not as much as i do wtih the freedom or CSP as i feel those points help me more 


In my wallet: AMEX Gold; Freedom $1.5k; CSP $5k; Chase United $5k; Discover $2k
Last HP: 4/30
Moderator
09Lexie
Posts: 26,348
Registered: ‎09-13-2012
0

Re: The party is over.

Congrats on the Explorer! You know you have an impressive line up and might as well heed your own advice.
See ya in the garden!
Moderator Emeritus
tinuviel
Posts: 4,875
Registered: ‎11-02-2010
0

Re: The party is over.

Welcome to the club... see you in the garden! :smileyhappy:


Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Established Contributor
djrez4
Posts: 504
Registered: ‎08-28-2012
0

Re: The party is over.


afbar1114 wrote:

also remember you get two passes to the united club each year worth $100 so if you use those as well your good to go. I use mine on a daily basiasis but not as much as i do wtih the freedom or CSP as i feel those points help me more 


I forgot about those.  Bonus!

 

I also have Lounge Club access through the Ink, so I'm covered pretty much anywhere.

Valued Contributor
bribro
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
0

Re: The party is over.


djrez4 wrote:

 

You'll notice the Explorer is not there.  Once I hit the bonus spend, it will remain around only for free bags, priority boarding, and the secret-squirrel access to more award seats.  With baggage fees at $25 for the first bag, the card pays for itself in four solo flights (two with my wife).  But, it gets no spend because, even on United flights, the CSP earns better.

 

So there you have it folks.  Rez is in the garden.  And I'm not mad about it, either.


This was my first thought as well, but I have decided to still put United flights/charges on my MP Explorer card, along with any car rental because of the primary CDW. The award rates are similar (2x vs. 2.14x) but I justify missing out on that 0.14% with the hope that this additional spend on the card will incentivize Chase to give me a better retention bonus when my AF comes due.

 

I do want to keep this card because I've had good luck with CPUs on award tickets. My favorite was booking a RT domestic saver award for 25k UR points (no booking fees because of my UA status). I got bumped to first class for both legs, so in that particular case I got what was a $3,500 RT first class ticket for 25k UR points. Not bad.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Valued Contributor
bribro
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
0

Re: The party is over.


afbar1114 wrote:

also remember you get two passes to the united club each year worth $100 so if you use those as well your good to go. I use mine on a daily basiasis but not as much as i do wtih the freedom or CSP as i feel those points help me more 


Be careful not to fall for the cost vs. value logic trap. You can buy one day United Club passes on eBay for $16, so that's a good approximation of their true value.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Established Contributor
Cdnewmanpac
Posts: 766
Registered: ‎01-16-2012
0

Re: The party is over.

Rez- just remember that the free bags are only if you use the MP explorer to purchase the tix. Not enough to have the card. So putting tix on CSP=no free bag. Also, as bribro mentioned, this is my goto card for car rentals. Primary coverage is worth $95/year to me alone.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Valued Contributor
afbar1114
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎01-09-2012
0

Re: The party is over.


 

 

You'll notice the Explorer is not there.  Once I hit the bonus spend, it will remain around only for free bags, priority boarding, and the secret-squirrel access to more award seats.  With baggage fees at $25 for the first bag, the card pays for itself in four solo flights (two with my wife).  But, it gets no spend because, even on United flights, the CSP earns better.

 

So there you have it folks.  Rez is in the garden.  And I'm not mad about it, either.


in order to get those benefits you MUST book the ticket on your united card.


In my wallet: AMEX Gold; Freedom $1.5k; CSP $5k; Chase United $5k; Discover $2k
Last HP: 4/30
Established Contributor
djrez4
Posts: 504
Registered: ‎08-28-2012
0

Re: The party is over.


bribro wrote:

djrez4 wrote:

 

You'll notice the Explorer is not there.  Once I hit the bonus spend, it will remain around only for free bags, priority boarding, and the secret-squirrel access to more award seats.  With baggage fees at $25 for the first bag, the card pays for itself in four solo flights (two with my wife).  But, it gets no spend because, even on United flights, the CSP earns better.

 

So there you have it folks.  Rez is in the garden.  And I'm not mad about it, either.


This was my first thought as well, but I have decided to still put United flights/charges on my MP Explorer card, along with any car rental because of the primary CDW. The award rates are similar (2x vs. 2.14x) but I justify missing out on that 0.14% with the hope that this additional spend on the card will incentivize Chase to give me a better retention bonus when my AF comes due.

 

I do want to keep this card because I've had good luck with CPUs on award tickets. My favorite was booking a RT domestic saver award for 25k UR points (no booking fees because of my UA status). I got bumped to first class for both legs, so in that particular case I got what was a $3,500 RT first class ticket for 25k UR points. Not bad.


I see the benefit of your method, but your calculation neglects the fact that booking the same United revenue flight through the UR portal gets you 3.21 points per dollar with the CSP.  A UR portal United purchase with the MP Explorer earns you one mile and one point - UR United purchases code as tripchrg.com, not United.  Does that change your metric?

 

 


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}