Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The problem with cobranded cards...

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

The problem with cobranded cards...

In light of the recent breakup between Amex and Costco in Canada, and the possibility that they might go their separate ways in the US as well, I started thinking of ways cardholders would be affected.

I for one do not want another CO card (if CO wins the Costco bid) because I'm afraid they wouldn't honor the backdating and might even CLD.

I also realized that half of my CCs are cobranded and that the reward structure could change at any moment, especially if the catalog is sold to another issuer. I mean, the Sallie Mae card used to be a 2% card issued by BofA.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: The problem with cobranded cards...

I think I've had a lot of success with cobranded cards before. Two of my highest limit cards are cobranded and I never really thought about what would happen if something like the Amex Gold Delta Skymiles card were to be sold off to Wells Fargo or some other lender that's much much stricter on CLs, CLIs and rewards. Just look at what happened to that Dillards Amex card people were talking about on here. I think this is why eventually I might want to invest in getting a Chase Freedom, as much as I've tried like two times this year to get it, next year just in case maybe Chase decides to go crazy and sell off to SW and AARP card brands off. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 13
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Costco business model would most definitely suffer, since crap one isn't typical to a Costco consumer's purchase level spending. Especially the auto, and travel portions.

Message 3 of 13
Goblin
Regular Contributor

Thanks for bringing that up. It's something to think about.

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 4 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Amex is PROBABLY not gonna lose the bidding war. However, a recent chat with US rep says better to have BCE than TE. The store reps are confused, they think the TE card comes with FREE membership, but actually BCE works better in my situation.

Bigger banks may get the inside merchant exchange, so I doubt it's capital one. But AMEX will fight hard to keep the US business. Though inside store, a lot of things take multiple cards already, eye exams, food, etc. Plus the online store takes any card. All this is rather interesting when keeping the inside sales to one bank card.
Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 13
LexieCat
Regular Contributor

I'm pretty sure that ANY credit card issuer can change the terms and conditions pretty much as they like.  You always have the option to decline them and close the card, still paying off the balance on the orginal terms.

It's happened to me a couple of times whare I flat-out didn't care for the new terms and closed the account.  Not that big a deal.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $32k; CapitalOne Venture $30k; Chase Slate $30k; Barclaycard Arrival Plus $25k; Wells Fargo Visa $25k; Amex EveryDay $25k; Barclaycard Ring $15.5k; Lowes $10k; Barclaycard Apple Financing $9.5k; Best Buy $7k; Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $6.5k; misc. store cards

EQ 822; TU 820; EX 819
Message 6 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

You could view this as a problem but it's not a frequent occurence.  I personally wouldn't fret over it.  It's not just cobranding that runs the risk of change.

Message 7 of 13
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@thelethargicage wrote:
In light of the recent breakup between Amex and Costco in Canada, and the possibility that they might go their separate ways in the US as well, I started thinking of ways cardholders would be affected.

I for one do not want another CO card (if CO wins the Costco bid) because I'm afraid they wouldn't honor the backdating and might even CLD.

I also realized that half of my CCs are cobranded and that the reward structure could change at any moment, especially if the catalog is sold to another issuer. I mean, the Sallie Mae card used to be a 2% card issued by BofA.

If AMEX and Costco were to part ways here, I think AMEX would retain the portfolio.   Ever notice how all of the TE cobranding markers are on the back of the CC?   Change the back of the CC and this could easily be any AMEX product.  But in my ideal world, AMEX will offer an even better TE to retain Costco's business.   There are many things that could happen, and it's probably too early to fret over it now.    

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any credit card runs the risk of change and its always up to the issuer. I would agree that this isnt an exclusive co-brand problem.

Message 9 of 13
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Any credit card runs the risk of change and its always up to the issuer. I would agree that this isnt an exclusive co-brand problem.

Agreed.   Many porfolios have been acquired by other CCCs in recent years.  Some have been independent private-label cards like Target or Barney's (now under TD Bank and Comenity, respectively), but some have been large portfolios, like HSBC's being sold to Cap One.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.