Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The profile of a AMEX PRG card holder

tag
topisnear
Established Member

The profile of a AMEX PRG card holder

So i have read many interesting things about the PRG. It was the main card i wanted and i finally got it about 2 weeks ago. Ive read some people use it as their only card and they have no clue why even though they know they have better ones. I have heard some people think the PRG user is a high income earner 100k+. Ive heard the card sucks, have heard they like to impress people or clients. Well i happen to love this card, not sure why either when i know i have better "rewards" cards. For me i think its more of a goal thing. Ive always looked at the amex charge card as for people who take care of their credit, work hard, and are responsible with money so when i got it, it made me feel good i reached my goal even though i know they are now much more relaxed on UW than they used to be. Basically the card makes me feel good, bottom line, and in sales feeling good equals more money. Im trying to reach my 2k spend right now to get the 25k points, should not be a issue but it got me to thinking. What are people like that use this as their everyday card if anyone even does anymore. If you do tell us: Ill include my self

Why do you use it: Just got it, trying to meet my 2k for bonus points. Overal i love the card and the CS

Credit score: 703 Ex 698EQ 695TU

Income: 85k-120k depending on bonus

Any other thoughts on the card: Still to early for more thoughts but im sure they will come as time moves on with it.

AMEX PRG NPSL charge about $2000 month, Capital one Venture $320 (for Uti) on $3500, Chase Freedom $0 on $2000,
Discover IT $0 on $2300, Wells Fargo Platinum $0 on $1600,
Capital one QuickSilver $0 on $1000, Wells LOC 0 of $5000
Scores: Purchased here on myfico
703 Experian
698Transunion
692 Equifax

Goals: 720+ all across and a AMEX PRG
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Re: The profile of a AMEX PRG card holder

I'm 40+

Fico 700+

Income 200+

Why do I use PRG?  Becaue it makes me feel good.  Makes the food I eat taste better.  Gives me greater confidence.  Isn't that what life is all about? 

The only other card I use moer than PRG is the Blue Cash with 5% rewards at grocery/gas/drugstore.  Even that I still prefer PRG over it. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 2 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I like reading these posts, because the feelings described are totally alien to me!  Like those who care about the appearance of the card.   Note I am not saying these reasons are bad/wrong/etc, just I have no idea what feeling good about using a particular card would be like.

Message 3 of 26
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I like reading these posts, because the feelings described are totally alien to me!  Like those who care about the appearance of the card.   Note I am not saying these reasons are bad/wrong/etc, just I have no idea what feeling good about using a particular card would be like.

LT, do u feel good when wearing a certain shirt, shoes, or tie?  It's the same kind of feel good. 

Do u feel good when walking near a beautiful woman?  It's the same kind of feeling.

Message 4 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

LT, do u feel good when wearing a certain shirt, shoes, or tie?  It's the same kind of feel good. 

Do u feel good when walking near a beautiful woman?  It's the same kind of feeling.

No, no, no. And no (in that order!).   OK, maybe it's just me then.

Message 5 of 26
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

When walking next to a beautiful women? Yea, it's the same kind of feeling. Both the PRG and the Woman have a high annual fee..... Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 26
core
Valued Contributor

"Impress clients"?  From across the table, the PRG looks just like like a regular Gold card.  You'd have to be looking awfully close to even tell the difference, and if a client is scrutinizing my card that closely I'm gonna wonder about him.  The regular Gold card they hand out to anyone who can fog a mirror, as evidenced by the fact that they gave me one with an EX score of 647.  Smiley Happy  So I just don't see what these people mean when they speak of impressing clients.

Message 7 of 26
MT936
Established Contributor

Age 21

Income $25,000

Fico 751

Got the prg about 2 weeks ago should be able to hit the $2000 easily. I use it because it was my goal card and the perks like $75 hotel credit and roadside assistance are worth it to me. Plus from time to time my parents will use my prg for their travel expenses Smiley Happy

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 8 of 26
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Having said all that I think my PRG will be retired when AF is due.  

This month I earned over $400 in cashback from my Blue cash but only 10,000 MRs.  Thank you darling but it's time. 

Message 9 of 26
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

While I'm a Amex PRG card holder, I don't personally use the card. I gave it to my wife and it is her daily card. While I care more about rewards and usage requirements, my wife couldn't care less about those things. However, knowing that my wife has an Amex gold card to use makes me feel like a better provider. Is it sexist on my part. Maybe, but I like her to feel good. Lord knows she stuck with me through the tough times.

scores 729/754/767

salary 100+

age 49

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.