Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The psychology of rewards

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Re: The psychology of rewards

@kdm31091 wrote:

We all know banks design reward programs with one end goal. They want us to spend more money in order to "get more rewards". And unfortunately, it works! We apply for cards we don't need to get that extra 1 or 2%. We chase every penny in rewards. 

Lately, as I've reflected on things, I've really come to realize that it often makes very little practical difference and is just one more thing to track and manage. As I said in an earlier thread, an extra 1% on one category is not going to make any huge difference in your rewards unless you are spending a lot of money in that category. Things get even more diluted when one has 10+, 20+ etc cards.  While of course some people make a lot of money and therefore spend a lot of money, for those with an "average" spend level the benefit is more psychological than practical.

My point here is that I think as a forum we get a little too "app happy" and encourage others to do the same without really drilling down to the nitty gritty: how much am I actually going to get out of this? It's a HP and AAOA ding for say, 1 or 2% more in rewards. Some things sound great on paper but translate to very little. I know I like to "pick on" the AARP card, but if you have a Double Cash, and you spend $500 a month on dining, you got an extra $5 from AARP over a DC. $5 you wouldn't have otherwise had, yes, but it's spread on a different reward card, etc.

Increasingly I'm finding I prefer to keep it more simple. I think as a whole, we need to slow down on encouraging everyone to chase after rewards. Concentrating your spend will often yield more fruitful results (and since many cards have redemption minimums, you may find it takes a VERY long time to redeem rewards if you are chasing too many!).

I realize this is kind of the same wavelength as my thread last week, but just been reflecting and thinking and would love to hear some thoughts.

Another great post sir! Yes, you're absolutely right. They are developing these programs not to benefit us more as a consumer, but for them. They hope we spend more and carry a larger balance only to pay them more in interest. Interest will always outweight the benefits in rewards. So they win, and we lose. The trick, as you pointed out, is to spend what you'd usually spend and enjoy the rewards from there. Don't chase rewards to get more back. If you go out and spend $100 on something you didn't need in order to get 5% back... you're negative $95 dollars now. Plus, if you carry that balance for one month at a 22.9% APR (typical APR with average credit) you owe 1.9% of that transaction, which outweighs my Quicksilver. So they won, and that's only at one month. They really start kicking ass and making money for the months onward.

I'm guilty of it, even as of today. When I read the Discover/Apple Pay thread I was thinking of how I can maximize the cashback. That involved me going out of my way to get the spend and I thought, "Why go out of my way to spend more than I normally would" then I'm wasting money on stuff I don't need. So I plotted the places that do accept Apple Pay that I normally use and will continue normal spending. So I may not reap huge rewards from this promotion they are doing, but I certainly won't be spending more than I normally would either. Luckily, a lot of the places I use do take Apple Pay. 

Like I said in your other post too. I just got my 6th card and already miss just having to manage only 2 cards. I did it from a standpoint of helping for 2017 when I want to get the 3 cards I really want, then I'll close and consolidate from there. I honestly don't spend enough to utilize 6 cards for any kind of decent rewards. I couldn't imagine more than what I have now. But my spending is completely different from many others. I'm very frugal and don't do a lot of "pleasure" spending. In fact I rarely go over 2% of my old available credit ($13.5K) and the overwhelming majority of that 2% are needs. Now that I tripled my available credit in the last couple of weeks I doubt if I'll every go over 1%.

But, that's for me. If someone wants 20 different cards and spends $20,000 a month on them, then good for them. They will get very good rewards for their level of spending. I think the whole point of KDM's post is to live within your means and don't get caught up in the game, because you'll lose everytime.

Personal:

Business:

Message 21 of 105
red259
Super Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

This site is a kind of a joke. People celebrate $500 credit lines like they just won the lottery. It's not healthy how obsessed peopl have become and excited they get by obtaining a new debt tool. What's worse is the people who just filed for bankruptcy start posting months later all the new credit cards they just got. 

This site has good advice and information, but majority of this stie needs to stay out of the credit card and approval section .

Until you have been there, you will have a hard time understanding why someone will celebrate getting a $500 card after bankruptcy (NOTE: I have never filed BK).  But when you have gone through something hellish like that, a $500 approval is a sign of success and a start over hence the celebration.

Most of the approvals I am talking about are not post BK. Most are people who have 25+ INQ, 30 store cards and 600 scores who just keep getting more usless store cards.

That is just because they don't know any better and think all cards are equal. Gah I hate store cards soo much. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 22 of 105
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I appreciate this thread and many of its posts.

I'll chime in for myself.

My strategy for the amounts of cards and types of cards (and timing of apps) has been this:

1. I fly coach (more bang for my buck) and love having priority boarding. One flight last year I didn't have priority boarding (because I didn't have that airline's card) and I said NEVER AGAIN!

2. I love traveling and now that I use airbnb instead of hotels the bulk of my costs come from the plane tickets. Being able to cash in miles I've acquired from sign up bonuses, coupled with airbnb, has literally saved me thousands and thousands of dollars. It also is allowing me to visit all over the world, meeting new people and creating international friendships.

3. Having over $200K in available credit makes UTL a non issue for me. It also allows me to carry balances on 0% offers (18 and 21 months currently) without any anxiety or need to micromanage.

Message 23 of 105
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

To go along with my other post... rewards only work if you PIF. If you don't, you're losing (of course unless you have a 0% period)

Personal:

Business:

Message 24 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

To go along with my other post... rewards only work if you PIF. If you don't, you're losing (of course unless you have a 0% period)

And understand how THAT lender deals with purchases in your 0% and you know what you have to pay to avoid or minimize interest on new purchases if you don't have 0% on new purchases. 

Message 25 of 105
red259
Super Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

+1 Yes. Just yes. If you can't PIF and its not 0% APR then trying to earn rewards is a massive mistake. 

;
Message 26 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Good post!

Not strange, at all.  Many who read my posts may think I'm "App happy," but nothing could be further from the truth.  

For instance, unless a compelling reason exists (ie., 3% Miles, Fid Amex for Serve, IT 10% Promo, JCB 3%), my minimum requirements for an HP would be, at the very least, the following:  (1) new TL, I'll never accept an HP for CLIs, ever; (2) at least $400 - $500 in cash equivalent value; and, (3) have some kind of feature, benefit, or accelerated spending I find useful.  If those conditions aren't met, I won't app.  Matter of fact, if those conditions are never met again, I will never app again.  Even now, the $400 bonus on WFC's Propel doesn't meet my requirements (benefit and deposit account hassle), I won't app, even for the $400.

However, if those conditions are met, I'll keep app'ing.  One of the lessons I've learned in life, "when you see it, bet big."  Scared money never wins, ever.

There are quite a few people I can identify with here....but this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is totally what I want to emulate. Really dig this mentality.

I do think it would be better for new members to see more details about folks for their protection. Maybe in our signatures we can include our income and annual CC spend. That way when they see people apping for all these new cards they can grasp if its fitting or not.

I do think what works for one person doesnt work for everyone.  I started my building journey in May and realized the money making opportunity. It completed my couponing's missing puzzle piece for sure.  But I have self control. Just because I have the credit limit doesnt mean I am carrying balances I can't afford.  My scores have went up around 100 points in 4-5 months. That says to me I am doing something right with adding 7 new accounts in less than 6 months. Maybe inquiries dont matter?!

My personal opinion: If a person only made $50k a year and they were able to secure $200k in credit cards, use them occasionally, not go into debt, and get some bonuses and rewards, then go for it.

My goal is not to have super great credit because all that happens is fluctuation. I don't want to be spending tons of time micromanaging statement dates and that. That time for me would be better spent couponing and preparing my next card bonus application (which is a 20k amtrak bonus and a Better Balance Rewards both with BOA!).  But this is what works for me.  Someone that needs a new mortgage or car loan shouldnt be doing this.  I also don't think I could ever let my score go THAT much.

I think myfico is a great place because its so well rounded. I like people like the OP as we get opinions from a wide range of people. That is a good thing. I do think we should have more talk here about couponing though. Maybe one day I can have a main link on the front page with links and resources to that? Not to sound judgy but it amazes me how picky people are with an extra .25% cash back on a card when they could make it more like 20-40% just by couponing. Then again, they could be rich and busy and who am I to judge?

I actually like myfico because I see little bragging about finances.  Usually sharing strategies and experiences. And sometimes folks do share things that aren't relevant. And I just say to myself "Money talks, wealth whispers". Alas credit is a learning experience. What better way to learn that from ones mistakes? Or by teaching someone what they have just learned.

Message 27 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

This site is a kind of a joke. People celebrate $500 credit lines like they just won the lottery. It's not healthy how obsessed peopl have become and excited they get by obtaining a new debt tool. What's worse is the people who just filed for bankruptcy start posting months later all the new credit cards they just got. 

This site has good advice and information, but majority of this stie needs to stay out of the credit card and approval section .

Until you have been there, you will have a hard time understanding why someone will celebrate getting a $500 card after bankruptcy (NOTE: I have never filed BK).  But when you have gone through something hellish like that, a $500 approval is a sign of success and a start over hence the celebration.

Most of the approvals I am talking about are not post BK. Most are people who have 25+ INQ, 30 store cards and 600 scores who just keep getting more usless store cards.

The people who get 30+ store cards are not "most" on this board.  You can count them by a few- But you are entitled to your thoughts.

Message 28 of 105
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

And understand how THAT lender deals with purchases in your 0% and you know what you have to pay to avoid or minimize interest on new purchases if you don't have 0% on new purchases. 

Correct. I didn't clarify that because I assume people know to pay off those purchases so they don't get hit with backdated interest. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 29 of 105
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Good post!

Not strange, at all.  Many who read my posts may think I'm "App happy," but nothing could be further from the truth.  

For instance, unless a compelling reason exists (ie., 3% Miles, Fid Amex for Serve, IT 10% Promo, JCB 3%), my minimum requirements for an HP would be, at the very least, the following:  (1) new TL, I'll never accept an HP for CLIs, ever; (2) at least $400 - $500 in cash equivalent value; and, (3) have some kind of feature, benefit, or accelerated spending I find useful.  If those conditions aren't met, I won't app.  Matter of fact, if those conditions are never met again, I will never app again.  Even now, the $400 bonus on WFC's Propel doesn't meet my requirements (benefit and deposit account hassle), I won't app, even for the $400.

However, if those conditions are met, I'll keep app'ing.  One of the lessons I've learned in life, "when you see it, bet big."  Scared money never wins, ever.

+1 These are basically my criteria as well. Every card I have ever applied for I had a specific need/use for that card or the associated bonus. I will never take a HP for a credit line increase. There have been times when an outstanding offer has come around and I stayed in the garden, because I did not want to weaken my credit profile too much.   

;
Message 30 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.