Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The purge has started!

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: The purge has started!

Just received account closure SM's for three of the four Comenity cards - and one of them was someone else's name, not mine. Oh, Comenity. I won't miss you too much Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 16
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! It must feel good. I want to close a few myself but I am having trouble letting go Smiley Very Happy 

You are not interested in keeping Cabela's to see how Capital One will handle CLI's once they take over? Yes, I see the irony in that statement.....though to be fair Venture, Venture One and QS have been getting decent limits.

Not really. Capital One is known to limit people with cards they've acquired from other banks. Small CLI's, if any, and most times they can't be combined into other card accounts. Most everyone with old Orchard Bank and HSBC cards was left out of the account combination LUV, and I don't expect their Cabela's acquisition to be any different. 

I'm not sure about others, but this has not been my experience.  I started w a $320 Orchard card, with SP CLI, EO CLI, and account combo, I now have a $21K QS.

Message 12 of 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! It must feel good. I want to close a few myself but I am having trouble letting go Smiley Very Happy 

You are not interested in keeping Cabela's to see how Capital One will handle CLI's once they take over? Yes, I see the irony in that statement.....though to be fair Venture, Venture One and QS have been getting decent limits.

Not really. Capital One is known to limit people with cards they've acquired from other banks. Small CLI's, if any, and most times they can't be combined into other card accounts. Most everyone with old Orchard Bank and HSBC cards was left out of the account combination LUV, and I don't expect their Cabela's acquisition to be any different. 

I'm not sure about others, but this has not been my experience.  I started w a $320 Orchard card, with SP CLI, EO CLI, and account combo, I now have a $21K QS.

That's definitely not the norm, but I've seen a few posts from people who were able to do it. If you go back into the massive Capital One account cobination megathread, you'll see tons of posts where users weren't able to combine accounts with cards that acquired through mergers and takeovers. They pushed their cases up to the EO as well, but they weren't able to help them. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good riddance. A bunch of crappy store cards that you probably didn't need!
Message 14 of 16
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

I would keep a store card of Home Depot or Lowe's. To be honest you never know when your ac unit will go or an appliance and having their 18-24 month 0% apr offers even if you could or can't afford to pay up front is pretty useful despite whatever income level you may be on. I too in the future will be cutting all my cards down to at least 5. I'm not sure if I want 5 in total or perhaps 5 various MC, Visa, American Express, Discover and then maybe 5 store cards in addition that I use the most. Something like Lowe's/Home Depot/Walmart/Amazon/JCPenney.

I am still making my list and will maybe do it this year depending on how some CLIs go on the non-store cards and my credit union card.

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I closed all my store cards but Amazon this year plus Barclays (AA for me as well-a@@holes) and Wells Fargo.

I Lost 3 points total on EQ, gained 1 on TU, and stayed the same on EX.

I am going to close Amazon now that my Chase Amazon is 5%. I never not PIF so the financing has never inteeested me. I also may close my QS card. Tired of my $200 CLIs twice a year. It is by far my lowest limit already. Idk yet on that one tho-they gave me a chance when nobody would and I feel loyal to them for some reason.

Down to 7 cards. Will be 6.
All of them I use and are good limits and APRs.

Feels great. Much easier to keep track of everything and use them all... and the rewards are racking up better when you don't use the crappy ones.

Congrats again. You will be much happier and barely (if at all) see a diff in score if you PIF each month.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.