Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The reason why I love Visa/MC over AMEX/Disc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason why I love Visa/MC over AMEX/Disc

Instead of having to ask the waiter, "do you accept this card" or have them walk back to me everytime I use my Discover, I can finally leave my card in the card tray without having to worry or being anxious. 

Also, there's no need to weirdly tilt my head in different angles trying to look for the credit card acceptance sticker. 

I noticed this big difference for me since I got my new Visas, just a thought.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: The reason why I love Visa/MC over AMEX/Disc

This is why I always carry a Visa/MC with me. Granted most of my cards ARE Visa/MC. Lol.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 49
UncleB
Credit Mentor

During the period that I cheerfully refer to as 'back when things were good' I used Amex for everything... because my MasterCards and Visas were generally maxed out.  Whenever I would go to an unfamiliar restaurant I always had to make sure Amex was accepted, since if it wasn't I would literally have to be selective about what I ordered, depending on when I last made a Visa or MC payment... LOL. 

In other words, I'm all-too-familiar with having to do the 'neck stretch' to make sure my card was accepted.  Smiley Tongue

I'll be the first to admit it's nice having a wallet-full of cards that are generally PIF (or close enough), so that no matter what card I pull out any of them will "work".  And now that my 'default' restaurant card is a MasterCard (Sam's Club) I don't have to be concerned at all about that pesky 'acceptance' issue that always lurked around the corner when I depended soley on Amex (or Discover).

Message 3 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only walked into one place that didn't take my Discover BUT I always have a MasterCard in my wallet (and my debit card if I have to, which is a Visa). It was a locally owned joint so I was expecting it to possibly not take my Discover anyway.

It's worth carrying something else along with your Discover / AMEX for sure.
Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@michi yup! That's why I always carried my first three cards in my siggy.
Message 5 of 49
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous yup! That's why I always carried my first three cards in my siggy.

Just wondering, would you like your own sub forum?  Smiley Tongue

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imperfect I'll take that in a sarcastic manner
Message 7 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

busy kid with credit....I understand...I'm a Dad. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually carry my DC whenever I plan to use Amex or Discover just in case they are not accepted.
Message 9 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't had much problem in terms of AmEx acceptance although I do mainly pay for dining with my Citi Prestige, my DW uses the AmEx Premier Gold. I've had people not accept in it Canada but not in the USA so far.
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.