Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The right credit to income ratio....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The right credit to income ratio....

How large should your credit line be in relationship to your income?  For instance I make about $60,000 per year and have about $25,000 in credit.  Should I have more or less?  Does this matter? 

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The right credit to income ratio....

@Anonymous wrote:

How large should your credit line be in relationship to your income?  For instance I make about $60,000 per year and have about $25,000 in credit.  Should I have more or less?  Does this matter? 

2 to 1.

So, if you increase credit line to $120,000 you'll be in a great position.

Message 2 of 38
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2 to 1.

So, if you increase credit line to $120,000 you'll be in a great position.

Well, that's an optimal ratio if you're Nixon. Or if you're me, for that matter. Mine's also about 2 to 1. But there is NO standard CL to income ratio. It varies all over the place, with 2 to 1 being near, but not at, the high end.

Better questions are things like how much total CL (and CL per card) do you need to cover all your credit spending while still keeping a favorable utilization rate?

Message 3 of 38
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Last year my ratio was 6 to 1, and I was never questioned or denied based on that. There is no magic number.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 4 of 38
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

I don't think there is a right answer to this. For example my utilization remained <5% whether or not my C-I ratio was 0.5 last year or 1.25 as it is now.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 5 of 38
baller4life
Super Contributor

Whatever makes you comfortable. Everyone needs to decide that for themselves. Keep in mind that it is better to have more credit than you actually need. Because when you need it, 9 times out of 10 you can't get it. So I feel safe with more than twice my income in available credit. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

my income is 35k 

my CL is a bit over 50k

Message 7 of 38
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There is no right or wrong answer. Personally I think 2 to 1 is not necessarily right for everyone. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with double my income in credit. To me it seems to invite issuers to think you are risky (i.e. "why do you need that much credit compared to your income?")

Whatever you are comfortable with is the right ratio. Don't overthink it. It's not worth it. Don't charge more than you can afford. Pay off your cards. Enjoy whatever rewards you get. Stressing about "right" ratios or "right" balances reporting or any of that is overkill, IMO. Obtain cards which you feel you can and will use. Nothing more nothing less.

Message 8 of 38
Berk
Established Contributor

I make just over 100K. My total reporting credit card lines are almost 139K. I keep my util at 3%-4% for the most part.

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it depends more on how you utilize it because that determines how much you need available to keep your DTI in check.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.