Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The road to a CSP.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The road to a CSP.

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Chase does not factor retail cards into their lending decisions unless there is a manual review. They want history on major cards, not retail, so having a $5k line on your Walmart card isn't going to help you. 

Ugh. That is what I was afraid of. The only "major" cards I have are a Discover IT (secured, 1200 limit) and Capital One MC (secured. 550 limit) so these arent going to help me anytime soon. Good thing I'm patient. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't any 5K credit card before, but I was approved for the csp last month with the minum CL 5k,my EX Fico score was 715 with 5 inquiries and 4 credit cards opened the last 2 years. I have a checking account with them with almost 20K,maybe this helped.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My father had a $3000 PNC Visa and a $3500 grocery store card when he applied and was approved for his CSP. I think the numer of inquiries (or actually, lack thereof), AAoA and DTI is much more important then the CL of your other cards. Of course already having a high limit card helps a lot, but it's not a prerequisite.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was recently approved for a 2k limit Chase Freedom. I am a Chase banking, savings, and auto loan customer as well. I recieved a prequal for the Freedom and Slate but I only apped for the Freedom. My end-game card is the CSP. I understand Chase likes to see some other 5k limit cards but I only have one other card that meets that requirement, Wal-Mart. Should I increase my WM card usage to show some 5k limit experience? What would be the best strategy to go for the CSP? Chase pulled TU 685 and EX 630ish upon the Freedom app. Thanks inadvance for your help.

Message 13 of 18
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Everyone's profile is different, and Chase has their own internal scoring method as well. The advice I gave OP might not apply to all of you, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect. There have been several denials documented on the forum due to no experience with higher credit limits. In fact, the most helpful negative review of the CSPon Credit Karma says this exact thing. 

OP's highest limit on a major is $2k on the Freedom they just got. Coupled with a 630 EX score, CSP is not happening anytime soon. 

Message 14 of 18
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Why not get a Capital One unsecured and use the methods found on here to get that up to a high limit relatively quickly?  By my figuring a Quicksilver One and a Platinum should be able to be a No Annual Fee Quicksilver with at least a $3k limit in 6 months.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Why not get a Capital One unsecured and use the methods found on here to get that up to a high limit relatively quickly?  By my figuring a Quicksilver One and a Platinum should be able to be a No Annual Fee Quicksilver with at least a $3k limit in 6 months.

I don't have any pre-qual results on the capital one site. I'm thinking I only got the Chase Freedom was my perfect auto loan payment history and my checking/savings accounts with them.

Message 16 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My end-game card is the CSP.

Have you acutally run the numbers for you spend and looked at how you'd redeem with Ultimate Rewards to maximize rewards value?  Do you have enough spend for a program like UR?

@Anonymous wrote:

What would be the best strategy to go for the CSP? Chase pulled TU 685 and EX 630ish upon the Freedom app.

The best strategy for any creditor/product is to idenitfy deficiencies with your report and work on addressing them.  Creditors do not simply match limits.  Limits factor into revolving utilization which factors into Amounts Owed but even that isn't the only factor that matters.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Your scores indicate to me that there are concerns with your credit.  You can either educate yourself and assess your own reports or disclose enough to us to give you feedback.

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I increase my WM card usage to show some 5k limit experience?

Do not rely on usage.  Your entire credit profile and your income determine the limit you qualify for with any creditor/product.  We don't know the specifics of Chase's underwriting criteria for the CSP but we do know the typical weights of factors with FICO.  You don't want high revolving utilization reporting.

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually thats perfect. I should have my last set of student loans finishing rehab this month and that will clean off all baddies.

If you have derogs then you certainly want them removed.  Apply when your reports are in the best shape possible.  That means 100% postiive Payment History with no derogs, low reported revolving utilization, among other things.  Most of the other factors really just take time and responsible management to build.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My end-game card is the CSP.

Have you acutally run the numbers for you spend and looked at how you'd redeem with Ultimate Rewards to maximize rewards value?  Do you have enough spend for a program like UR?

I would use the Freedom only for the 5% categories. All other purchases (rent, utils, bills when possible, and regular spend) would go on the CSP. I'm thinking 35-40k per year would pipe through.

@Anonymous wrote:

What would be the best strategy to go for the CSP? Chase pulled TU 685 and EX 630ish upon the Freedom app.

The best strategy for any creditor/product is to idenitfy deficiencies with your report and work on addressing them.  Creditors do not simply match limits.  Limits factor into revolving utilization which factors into Amounts Owed but even that isn't the only factor that matters.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Your scores indicate to me that there are concerns with your credit.  You can either educate yourself and assess your own reports or disclose enough to us to give you feedback.

There are certainly concerns, my student loans from 2010. I have completed the rehab program (which will remove the derogs) and I am just waiting for a new buyer to be found for the loan. Once that happens my report should be squeaky clean.

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I increase my WM card usage to show some 5k limit experience?

Do not rely on usage.  Your entire credit profile and your income determine the limit you qualify for with any creditor/product.  We don't know the specifics of Chase's underwriting criteria for the CSP but we do know the typical weights of factors with FICO.  You don't want high revolving utilization reporting.

Noted. I'm paying stuff off in full or carrying less than 10% of a balance across all lines.

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually thats perfect. I should have my last set of student loans finishing rehab this month and that will clean off all baddies.

If you have derogs then you certainly want them removed.  Apply when your reports are in the best shape possible.  That means 100% postiive Payment History with no derogs, low reported revolving utilization, among other things.  Most of the other factors really just take time and responsible management to build.

This is my main (only?) hurdle right now. Gosh if I could go back six years and smack myself I would. Thank you for all the info. All the replies here have been very helpful. Looks like the road to CSP will take a bit but I don't mind. I'll get there.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.