Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The time is almost up on my interest free bank card

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The time is almost up on my interest free bank card

@MmeLucie wrote:

I believe I can pay off the new card if I obtained it. I wouldn't keep doing this. 

Fine, then do you have a better use for the money than paying it off now,  that also makes up for the ~ $50 fee?  (plus the impact of getting a new card).  

It's quite likely that the answer is "Yes", Im not against the idea of rolling it over, just that is the financial question.

Message 11 of 20
slweal87
Contributor

I recommend the Chase Slate. Only card I know of with NO balance transfer fee and 0% interest for 15 months. No need to pay 48$

1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 12 of 20
MmeLucie
Established Member

I would def save money by getting a new card and rolling over.

I'm going to check into Chase Slate.  I believe they sent me an offer in the past 3 months as well.

Message 13 of 20
MmeLucie
Established Member

I wonder is there is a way to see how much they would give me in advance?

I don't even want to apply if they give me a small credit line.

Message 14 of 20
Stage24u
Established Member

@MmeLucie wrote:

I constantly get offers for new cards.  I'm considering doing a Balance Transfer to a BOFA offer that I have recieved twice now.

The balance I want to transfer is 1600.  I think even w a transfer fee it would be worth it for 15 more months interest free.

Thoughts? I stopped using the original card.

Thoughts? Pay off the balance  asap, and don't open more cards to give the "illusion" that is it being payed.

No point in playing the credit BT shell game, opening cards for the BT vs paying it off.

@Maybe a $1600 balance @ 19% interest will hurry you along in paying it down vs spending money/credit on the firvilous bs teases you with.

To open a CC out of desperation to perpetuate debt is one of the worst things you can do.
Message 15 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

@mmelucie,

There's no way to accurately predict what CL you are going to get. It all depends on your credit history, income, and current debt obligations.

If you are worried about CL, the safest bet would be to open an account with a credit union, since they are generally more generous with CLs.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 20
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@Stage24u wrote:

@MmeLucie wrote:

I constantly get offers for new cards.  I'm considering doing a Balance Transfer to a BOFA offer that I have recieved twice now.

The balance I want to transfer is 1600.  I think even w a transfer fee it would be worth it for 15 more months interest free.

Thoughts? I stopped using the original card.

Thoughts? Pay off the balance  asap, and don't open more cards to give the "illusion" that is it being payed.

No point in playing the credit BT shell game, opening cards for the BT vs paying it off.

@Maybe a $1600 balance @ 19% interest will hurry you along in paying it down vs spending money/credit on the firvilous bs teases you with.

To open a CC out of desperation to perpetuate debt is one of the worst things you can do.

+10000000 Couldn't agree more. 

Message 17 of 20
slweal87
Contributor

I don't know why everyone is being so mean. There is not reason to pay interest in order to "motivate" yourself to pay the debt. Just stop using plastic al together but still make the transfer and then work on it! Pay it each month until it's gone before the time runs out.
1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 18 of 20
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@slweal87 wrote:
I don't know why everyone is being so mean. There is not reason to pay interest in order to "motivate" yourself to pay the debt. Just stop using plastic al together but still make the transfer and then work on it! Pay it each month until it's gone before the time runs out.

I don't think anyone was being mean. The moral of the story is, debt needs to be paid. The sooner it occurs, the better for everyone involved. It saves you interest or BT fees, and gets the lender their money back. We all have a legal obligation to repay our debts, nothing mean about that. Now, if the OP really can't afford to pay the debt today, transferring seems to make some sense, but will only serve to increase the cost of the debt (interest, fees). But everyone that has posted so far, with the exception of youngandcreditwrthy, advocated taking the cheapest route to debt reduction. At the end of the day, we should all encourage each other to use responsible credit habits, which includes timely repayment of obligations, and financially sound credit practices (i.e. minimal interest and fees, spending within our means, etc). 

My vote is for whichever route saves the borrower money and gets the debt repaid. If the borrower cannot repay the debt and interest in a reasonable amount of time on the current card, then I say go for that BT and get rid of the debt during that BT period and DO NOT ACCUMULATE MORE DEBT!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 19 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
@MmeLucie,

There's no way to accurately predict what CL you are going to get. It all depends on your credit history, income, and current debt obligations.

If you are worried about CL, the safest bet would be to open an account with a credit union, since they are generally more generous with CLs.

Exactly.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.