Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The useless card thread

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

The useless card thread

Just wanted to start a thread for those cards that were apped for and then rendered useless after the fact.

I will start with my Lowe's card which as we all knows gives 5% off. Thats the reason i apped, i wanted an extra 5% off combined with my 10% veterans discount, they do not combine discounts....card is absolutely useless and will probaly be closed by issuer, however long they generally take to do that

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: The useless card thread

@juggalo9er wrote:

Just wanted to start a thread for those cards that were apped for and then rendered useless after the fact.

I will start with my Lowe's card which as we all knows gives 5% off. Thats the reason i apped, i wanted an extra 5% off combined with my 10% veterans discount, they do not combine discounts....card is absolutely useless and will probaly be closed by issuer, however long they generally take to do that

well my amex TE is kind of like that now. Gas will be trumped when i app for sallie mae in october, but using bcp for gas now till july when freedom takes over. Travel i am going to use CSP for all of travel stuff. I guess i use my Amex TE when i shop at costco but thats about it. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 77
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Unfortunately I have more than one

Chase Slate

Bankcard from small local bank

cap 1 platinum

Walmart ds 

citi diamond

EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 3 of 77
Shock
Established Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred...but at the time, they gave me a CLI to 3k upon activation. They gave me a chance at my first non toy limit and arguably jump started my credit profile which was stuck at 500, 500, and 400 limits. Today, 10 months later, 54,500 in limts and I am blessed.

AMEX Green pretty useless now, but got me in the door for my AMEX BCE.

A few of my cards are useless..but they got me where I am today.

It's kind of like...being poor, and working your way up to wealth, and forgetting who helped you along the way. Kind of messed up haha

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 4 of 77
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

For me it is Citi TYP. I have not used the card much since I got it last year, and TY points are pretty much useless to me. I'm still debating if I want to close it or SD it. 

Message 5 of 77
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Best Buy store card.
Message 6 of 77
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@MoreRewards wrote:

Unfortunately I have more than one

Chase Slate

Bankcard from small local bank

cap 1 platinum

Walmart ds 

citi diamond

Chase slate, if you have another Chase account, move your limit to that account, so as to make the slate more useful to you.

Cap One- try the EO route to get an upgrade to a cash back card, and a CLI

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 77
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

Probably my old Fingerhut card. Admittedly, I buy something from their clearance rack every once in a while to keep things open and active. They were the first generous credit line that helped me work toward getting rebuilt from a 500 credit score so I'll be forever grateful for their generous CLIs. Just not a fan of the big markups but you can find awesome steals in clearance rack. I got a leather iPad case for $6.00 Couldn't touch one at the Apple Store for less than $75.
Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 8 of 77
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Irisa wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

For me it is Citi TYP. I have not used the card much since I got it last year, and TY points are pretty much useless to me. I'm still debating if I want to close it or SD it. 

I closed mine. completely worthless to me

Message 9 of 77
fot1
Established Contributor

My credit one and Fingerhut I just closed.. helped rebuild but about it..

My Walmart and Kays cards are now pretty much useless..

Kays is my only store card so I think it helps my credit mix and Wlamart gives free TU score..

Too many to list..
Message 10 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.