Did you mean: 

The useless card thread

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: The useless card thread

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

The first rule of useless cards is... you don't apply for useless cards.

-Fight club (paraphrased)

Some cards don't start out as useless, but become so over time (e.g., via nerfing or a change in one's credit needs, etc.).  

And even without that, a card can become useless when you get another that covers the space in a "better" way.   So 3% gas cards are great until you get a 5% etc.   And, in a similar way, a useless card can become useful if the better card is nerfed, e.g. if the Citi 5x Forward gets nerfed, Sallie Mae's Amazon reward becomes much more useful.

Message 21 of 77
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

+1000

A cardinal rule of credit is to think LONG TERM, which can be a challenge when re/building.

@longtimelurker wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Some cards don't start out as useless, but become so over time (e.g., via nerfing or a change in one's credit needs, etc.).  

And even without that, a card can become useless when you get another that covers the space in a "better" way.   So 3% gas cards are great until you get a 5% etc.   And, in a similar way, a useless card can become useful if the better card is nerfed, e.g. if the Citi 5x Forward gets nerfed, Sallie Mae's Amazon reward becomes much more useful.

+1000

My useless card is Dell Preferred crap <2k CL (lowest by far) and overpriced merchendise with inflated shipping fees, not a good look Smiley Indifferent

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 22 of 77
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

They didn't start out this way but the following cards are useless except they make my AAoA basicly bulletproof, apply for a new card my AAoA drops a month, 30 days later its recovered. 

Chase Slate (yes I know I could move the CL around but its only 3.3k and I have more than enough Chase CLs)

Duck card (web site locks the account if you fat finger your password one too many times, and you have to call to get it unlocked, so I use the phone system which is a pain. so the card feeds the shredder when the BT is paid)

CapOne Qucksilver  ($750 credit limit, they won't CLI and I refuse to call executive office)

AMEX Zync (its a tradeline and NPSL appears on my report as a 3 year old card every once in a while I get a good offer from AMEX X dollars back on a small purchase)

OneStopPlus  (it was only a new TL, so not a total loss, no deferred payment offers)

Brylane Home (overpriced and crappy merchandise, everything I have purchased from them died with in 3 months, no HP at least)

Wal-Mart Store (has monthly credit scores)

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 23 of 77
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
DCU & Alliant cards for me. Also City TYP, Diamond Preferred, and Forward are all useless for me. Wal-Mart Discover Delta Gold and Chase Amazon now (though it will continue to have 2% on restaurants when I close my CSP so maybe it's not so useless.)

lol Smiley Very Happy

If the 2% on restaurants from the amazon card is useful, then why wouldnt the 5% from the Forward be useful? Unless you have the downgraded version of the card of course.

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 24 of 77
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:
DCU & Alliant cards for me. Also City TYP, Diamond Preferred, and Forward are all useless for me. Wal-Mart Discover Delta Gold and Chase Amazon now (though it will continue to have 2% on restaurants when I close my CSP so maybe it's not so useless.)

lol Smiley Very Happy

If the 2% on restaurants from the amazon card is useful, then why wouldnt the 5% from the Forward be useful? Unless you have the downgraded version of the card of course.

I have the downgraded version. Smiley Sad

Message 25 of 77
DiC916

American Eagle Outfitters store card. I got it when I was younger, single with no kids.Its one of my older cards, so I'll randomly buy DH something there, just to keep it active.
EX: 675 / EQ: 737 / TU: 693
Message 26 of 77
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

I have the downgraded version. Smiley Sad

Yes, I think the downgraded Forward is the poster child for "SD or close"!

Message 27 of 77
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Nice thread... great to share and learn perspectives.

Mine is anything CapOne... have a hate relationship with them at this time so they are SD.

Curious about the WalMart Discover being mentioned as worthless?  I get 15 cents discount on gas right now and their pumps are the cheapest in the area.  I know when Citi Freedom summer offer kicks in it will be about the same relative discount.  I still use my WalMart.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 28 of 77
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Nice thread... great to share and learn perspectives.

Mine is anything CapOne... have a hate relationship with them at this time so they are SD.

Curious about the WalMart Discover being mentioned as worthless?  I get 15 cents discount on gas right now and their pumps are the cheapest in the area.  I know when Citi Freedom summer offer kicks in it will be about the same relative discount.  I still use my WalMart.

well other than free fico score walmart is useless to me since we don't have superwalmarts with the gas stations. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 29 of 77
black_citi
Established Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred. Completely useless to me. Even though it has a 1000 limit (starting limit), there are no real points I can get except those measly citi easy deal points. I have over 1000 of those points but most of the stuff they offer is useless and you still need to spend real money. If I do use those points its usually to get some food or something. I probably will close the card out once I get a CLI on my BofA card (which I use all the time) or I might just let it close itself out. I've had it since Jan 2014. 

Make More, Spend Less
Message 30 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.