The useless card thread

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: The useless card thread

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

For that I will be closing my Wells Fargo VISA and Sony VISA these two are useless for me also considering the fact of how difficult it is to obatin CLI.

Wells fargo is good for cell phone insurance not much else :-)

I dont have a cell phone Smiley Embarassed

Ohh then its pretty useless to you :-). I was curious i looked on the wellsfargo reward site to see if its worth using it to buy anything on line. I didn't really see anything on there that would make me use it instead of using Chase UR or shopdiscover. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 51 of 77
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

For that I will be closing my Wells Fargo VISA and Sony VISA these two are useless for me also considering the fact of how difficult it is to obatin CLI.

Wells fargo is good for cell phone insurance not much else :-)

I dont have a cell phone Smiley Embarassed

Ohh then its pretty useless to you :-). I was curious i looked on the wellsfargo reward site to see if its worth using it to buy anything on line. I didn't really see anything on there that would make me use it instead of using Chase UR or shopdiscover. 

Yep going to meet the shredder or good once paid off same for Sony VISA

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 52 of 77
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I am a little surprised to see so many declaring the WalMart card to be "useless".  With no AF, I am glad to get a free monthly TU FICO score. 

I am also a little surprised about the Diamond Preffered.  It was a great BT card when I needed that and as soon as the intro APR runs out I will PC it probably to Dividend.  It has far from outlived its usefullness for me.

My most useless card is my Sportsman's Guide Visa (what was I thinking?!)

Followed in close second by the Crapital One QS1.  I refuse to start out $35 in the hole from the AF and try to make up for that at 1.5% and I refuse to continue to sing and dance for the EO. 

Both these cards are on their deathbeds barely hanging on for dear life!

So many places give out free fico scores now both discover and barclaycard and they just started that within the past 6 months or so. So a rewards card that you can use anywhere with a free fico is going to beat out a store card with free fico. Even if you have the discover verison chances are you get better rewards from  discover it or barclaycard

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 53 of 77
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I am a little surprised to see so many declaring the WalMart card to be "useless".  With no AF, I am glad to get a free monthly TU FICO score

I am also a little surprised about the Diamond Preffered.  It was a great BT card when I needed that and as soon as the intro APR runs out I will PC it probably to Dividend.  It has far from outlived its usefullness for me.

My most useless card is my Sportsman's Guide Visa (what was I thinking?!)

Followed in close second by the Crapital One QS1.  I refuse to start out $35 in the hole from the AF and try to make up for that at 1.5% and I refuse to continue to sing and dance for the EO. 

Both these cards are on their deathbeds barely hanging on for dear life!

But when you can get the score from Barclays or Discover on much better cards..It is easy then to SD the Walmart cards

Actually, now that you mentioned it, I do get the exact same score on my Barclaycard account.  Point well taken!

Message 54 of 77
jd352
Regular Contributor

The Zync card became useless for me after they phased out its MR points structure. I was left basically with a 1x on all purchases card. I app'd for the PRG to supplement the points earning potential and just recently cancelled the Zync account.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 55 of 77
dilettante
Established Contributor

Great title for thread to remind me to close these out ASAP.

1. Marriott Premier - have Ritz that I use for better benefits and Marriott/Ritz stays.

2. CSP - have Palladium for UR transfers and bonus 35k points.

3. JCrew - haven't used in quite some time.

4. Neiman Marcus - not shopping there as much as before so not getting rewards as often.

Message 56 of 77
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

More than one...

Best Buy MC - $250 limit initially - never shop at BB (Always Amazon)

Cap 1 Platinum - Hopefully PC to Quicksilver in a couple months

BofA Visa - no rewards, was a great builder card

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 57 of 77
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

I have a few:

Barclays Williams Sonoma (only apped to buy a set of dishes...LOL)

Dillards (very rarely shop there)

Citi TYPremier (has been nerfed so will close once i reach the 13th month which will be in August).

Marriott (have the Ritz and devaluation doesnt help)

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 58 of 77
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

Tried to PC my WF platinum ($7500 CL) to visa sig and bank said I would have to app for the new product - they don't do product changes.  Oh well, it was worth a try. Platinum is back in the SD.

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 59 of 77
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I don't think I have any useless cards at the moment, as I use them for different things. When Cap 1 was in my wallet, they won that distinction.

Message 60 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.