Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The value of Credit Cards

tag
DI
Super Contributor

The value of Credit Cards

Does anyone consider their credit cards as being money in the bank?  Is having  high credit limits like having a lot of money to you?   Or is it just plastic that may or may not work?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The value of Credit Cards

@DI wrote:

Does anyone consider their credit cards as being money in the bank?  Is having  high credit limits like having a lot of money to you?   Or is it just plastic that may or may not work?

Plastic that may or may not work.

IMO, a credit card is just a tool to spend money that I already have available to spend in my checking account.  The only reason to use a credit card over a Visa debit card is the security and consumer protections offered by using the former.

Message 2 of 26
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

No. Dangerous to consider credit cards this way.

No. Ditto

Yes. I consider credit cards a tool I use to our advantage (cash back, 0% promos). We only spend what we can PIF.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 3 of 26
DI
Super Contributor

During the housing crisis,economic downturn and job loss many turned to their credit cards to stay afloat.  It seems some use their cards for emergencies.  To me, I think those people look at their cardsas being money and an extention to their lack of income. 

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

During the housing crisis,economic downturn and job loss many turned to their credit cards to stay afloat.  It seems some use their cards for emergencies.  To me, I think those people look at their cardsas being money and an extention to their lack of income. 

I think many -- if not most -- people look at credit cards that way.

You would be shocked at how many do not even have a one-month emergency fund not to mention a 3 or 6-month one.

Message 5 of 26
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

Yes, thats sad. It's money that has to be paid back at a high interest cost.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
Message 6 of 26
DI
Super Contributor

D

@OnTheRebound wrote:

@DI wrote:

Do you think the easiness of being able to file BK, before congress took actions, contributed to the mind set people have about credit cards. 

Message 7 of 26
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

IMO, people who do not have 6 months in reserves are treading on dangerous grounds financially.   You should have your "reserves" saved before applying for, or using credit cards. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 8 of 26
tray
Valued Contributor

the value of credit cards to me is to help generate a credit score and to show how you personally handle the use of available credit to assist in obtaining high luxury items such as a home mortgage.  No one should feel the limit of available credit on credit cards is the extension of free money as this is not the case as you just have to pay it back eventually and hopefully not with INTEREST.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 26
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

D

@OnTheRebound wrote:

@DI wrote:

Do you think the easiness of being able to file BK, before congress took actions, contributed to the mind set people have about credit cards. 

I'm sure the were (and still are) a good number of people who had/have the attitude of buy now, pay later and spend, spend, spend and and if worst came to worst they could just wipe out the debt via BK.

I personally know of two individuals who always had nice cars, trucks and expensive toys by the way of credit cards and using their homes as ATM's. One lost everything. Fortunately, for the other his dad was willing and able to bail him out.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.