Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The worst store reward card goes to....

tag
parakleet
Valued Contributor

The worst store reward card goes to....

J. Crew! Ugh. I got a $25 reward card in the mail about a month ago and it expired yesterday so that was a waste. I just didn't have anything that I really wanted to buy and I'm trying to save anyways so I couldn't talk myself into buying something just to be able to use the reward. Besides, you can hardly buy anything for $25 alone anyways and I hate paying for shipping online so I have to make at least a $175 purchase to get free shipping so it turns into a ridiculous purchase just to be able to use a $25 reward card. Sorry for the rant but I hate losing out on the reward. The Chase UR mall has 5% bonus points as well so I would have been better off shopping through those portals with other rewards CCs rather than aimlessly thinking that I was getting a deal using the JC card. Live and learn I guess. The JC card is definitely making itself to the SD. Any other potential candidates for the worst store credit cards out there?

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: The worst store reward card goes to....

Ah...Fingerhut?

Message 2 of 9
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Well I rather a $25 gift card, than have to spend $1,500 dollars on a Dillard's Amex card just to get a mesely 10% off. Really? I can just wait for a good dillard's sale and that's only incentive I would need.  So in my opinion the Dillard's Amex essentially has zero benefits.

Message 3 of 9
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Is there no J. Crew outlet near you? Their prices are great. Just shopped there yesterday.

Message 4 of 9
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

J. Crew! Ugh. I got a $25 reward card in the mail about a month ago and it expired yesterday so that was a waste. I just didn't have anything that I really wanted to buy and I'm trying to save anyways so I couldn't talk myself into buying something just to be able to use the reward. Besides, you can hardly buy anything for $25 alone anyways and I hate paying for shipping online so I have to make at least a $175 purchase to get free shipping so it turns into a ridiculous purchase just to be able to use a $25 reward card. Sorry for the rant but I hate losing out on the reward. The Chase UR mall has 5% bonus points as well so I would have been better off shopping through those portals with other rewards CCs rather than aimlessly thinking that I was getting a deal using the JC card. Live and learn I guess. The JC card is definitely making itself to the SD. Any other potential candidates for the worst store credit cards out there?

For me, my JCrew cards works great because I buy a lot of clothing from there (For myself and my daughter) Crewcuts is always free shiipping so that's the bonus, but you're right in that you can find cash back deals thay you can benefit from.  JCrew will also throw $25 your way on occassion (I think Fall and Spring) just for being a cardmember.  Sometimes they offer 35% off too for using your card.  Right now they are offering $5 shipping and even when it's $8, when I have the reward it was free money so that usually, in my mind, isn't a big deal.  I can easily find at least a shirt on sale with the extra 30% online where I end up charging my card after all said in done for around $10 - PIF and my card gets usage and I used my rewards. 

It's all in how you view it.

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 5 of 9
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Make sure the "expired" really means expired. I had a VS $10 card that expired in May, the store put the value of that one with the active $20 one that was valid until Aug.  Always ask before discarding discounts. Some stores are firm with the dates, other not so much or not at all.

Message 6 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

Well I rather a $25 gift card, than have to spend $1,500 dollars on a Dillard's Amex card just to get a mesely 10% off. Really? I can just wait for a good dillard's sale and that's only incentive I would need.  So in my opinion the Dillard's Amex essentially has zero benefits.

It depends on how much you are going to spend the next time you shop. With a 2% card, 1500 would equal $30. You would have to spend over $300 to make the 10% certificate be worth more than a 2% card, or only over $150 to make it better than a 1% card. The better option, in my opinion, is to get the $10 off certificate instead. If you are elite you get free shipping and if you only need one thing at like $50, that's 20% off. So it's different for different spending levels.

Message 7 of 9
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

I'm thinking about adding my brother as an AU and just let his small purchases keep the account alive.  Like I stated, I always catch their big sales so the card doesn't do much for me. Although it's an AMEX there's no incentive to spend elsewhere considering I have a Chase Freedom and Cap One who keeps sending me promotions with my card. 

Hopefully adding him as an AU can help him start credit.

Question, is it detrimental to add anyone with bad credit as an AU?

Message 8 of 9
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

I'm thinking about adding my brother as an AU and just let his small purchases keep the account alive.  Like I stated, I always catch their big sales so the card doesn't do much for me. Although it's an AMEX there's no incentive to spend elsewhere considering I have a Chase Freedom and Cap One who keeps sending me promotions with my card. 

Hopefully adding him as an AU can help him start credit.

Question, is it detrimental to add anyone with bad credit as an AU?

I guess it certainly could be, being that you're solely responsible for the account.  I mean if he maxxed the card, then thought, "meh, my credit is already screwed", you'd be the one to pay up.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.