Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theoretical question regarding BT and Utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Theoretical question regarding BT and Utilization

I'm playing around with my spreadsheet and have a question. At the end of this month my overall utilization will be 12.4% but I have balances on 5 cards.

If I BT all of my balances to one card with a high CL, would that look better on my CR than having five cards with balances? 

(EDITED to show correct utilization figures)  The one card would have a utilization of about 59% by the time it showed up on my reports (with an overall utilization of 10%) but I'd be paying about $1500 per month working on getting that down. 

I'll just put rent, groceries and utilities on another card or two each month and PIF on those.  Trying to see if that one large balance will look bad or cause an AA on anything.??

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Theoretical question regarding BT and Utilization

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm playing around with my spreadsheet and have a question. At the end of this month my overall utilization will be 12.4% but I have balances on 5 cards.

If I BT all of my balances to one card with a high CL, would that look better on my CR than having five cards with balances? 

The one card would have a utilization of about 65% (with an overall utilization of 11%) but I'd be paying about $1500 per month working on getting that down. 

I'll just put rent, groceries and utilities on another card or two each month and PIF on those.  Trying to see if that one large balance will look bad or cause an AA on anything.??

No.

Better not to have any accounts with high utilization.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The one card would have a utilization of about 65% (with an overall utilization of 11%) but I'd be paying about $1500 per month working on getting that down. 

No.

I understand that, but that's not what I'm asking.  I'm the QUEEN of keeping all things financial under control.  I'm OCD in that respect. Smiley Wink 

Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No.

I understand that, but that's not what I'm asking.  I'm the QUEEN of keeping all things financial under control.  I'm OCD in that respect. Smiley Wink 

Talking just FICO, in my experience on my data which of course is all acedotal, better for FICO to have that 65% balance on a single card than spread out on a bunch of cards.  In my case with 9 tradelines I took a recent 6 point hit for having a 87.5% tradeline report (2.5% overall give or take) whereas if I get to 5/9 cards reporting a balance I drop 7; EQ FICO 8 but TU/EX have held similarly.

In the case of the BT if you go over 90% could be worse, but we don't have a good datapoint for that yet; this all assumes of course that your aggregate utilization is basically constant pre/post BT.  End of the day if it makes sense to do financially, do so.

AA kinda doubtful unless you have a pattern of carrying / increasing balances... kicking $1500/month to your CC debt, I rather doubt it.

        
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No.

Talking just FICO, in my experience on my data which of course is all acedotal, better for FICO to have that 65% balance on a single card than spread out on a bunch of cards.  In my case with 9 tradelines I took a recent 6 point hit for having a 87.5% tradeline report (2.5% overall give or take) whereas if I get to 5/9 cards reporting a balance I drop 7; EQ FICO 8 but TU/EX have held similarly.

In the case of the BT if you go over 90% could be worse, but we don't have a good datapoint for that yet; this all assumes of course that your aggregate utilization is basically constant pre/post BT.  End of the day if it makes sense to do financially, do so.

AA kinda doubtful unless you have a pattern of carrying / increasing balances... kicking $1500/month to your CC debt, I rather doubt it.

Thanks!  I edited the utilization.  It would actually be lower.  Right now I pay about $1000/week on cards because I'm so paranoid.  I actually lose sleep over trying to figure things out.  I'd love to now have so many to pay throughout the month. 

Message 5 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No.

Thanks!  I edited the utilization.  It would actually be lower.  Right now I pay about $1000/week on cards because I'm so paranoid.  I actually lose sleep over trying to figure things out.  I'd love to now have so many to pay throughout the month. 

Seriously, if it'd improve your quality of life by enabling you to get better sleep, just go do it.  

        
Message 6 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

It really would look better on 1 card. Depending on what the total limit of that one card would sit at. So say you have 5k total in balances and put that on a 15k card. Which is only 33% of that card and overall usage is 12.4% you would probably get a boost. because at least with EQ they will factor in how many balances on total number of cards as well. Ive thought of doing this. But really will only be beneficial if i could have total utilization below 10%. even if i had 60% on 1 card.

Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

(EDITED to show correct utilization figures)  The one card would have a utilization of about 59% by the time it showed up on my reports (with an overall utilization of 10%) but I'd be paying about $1500 per month working on getting that down. 

Why would you consider BT to one card? Does that one card have a 0% APR offer?

Are the other cards on some sort of low APR or 0% offer? I presume they are already carrying balances, are not PIF. Because if they are carrying balances on low APR offers, then you are better off financially leaving the balances on those dispersed cards, to run out that beneficial interest rate, and then when the gig is up, look at options for where to transfer them to continue lower rates. Or, better yet, apply that $1,500 per month to the dispersed cards to just pay them to zero where they sit.

If the items are dispersed on multiple low APR/ 0% rates that you have already paid to BT to those items, then you are accelerating your APR cost, due to BT fees at least, in a way that is not necessary. You would be paying more than you should.

You notice that I am not addressing your utilization question, because with BT, your first and main concern is how do you save interest cost the best. Not FICO scores.

You should redirect your OCD tendencies to managing interest cost to be minimized, not number of cards reporting. Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would you consider BT to one card? Does that one card have a 0% APR offer?

Are the other cards on some sort of low APR or 0% offer? I presume they are already carrying balances, are not PIF. Because if they are carrying balances on low APR offers, then you are better off financially leaving the balances on those dispersed cards, to run out that beneficial interest rate, and then when the gig is up, look at options for where to transfer them to continue lower rates. Or, better yet, apply that $1,500 per month to the dispersed cards to just pay them to zero where they sit.

If the items are dispersed on multiple low APR/ 0% rates that you have already paid to BT to those items, then you are accelerating your APR cost, due to BT fees at least, in a way that is not necessary. You would be paying more than you should.

You notice that I am not addressing your utilization question, because with BT, your first and main concern is how do you save interest cost the best. Not FICO scores.

You should redirect your OCD tendencies to managing interest cost to be minimized, not number of cards reporting. Smiley Happy

Wow. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

It really would look better on 1 card. Depending on what the total limit of that one card would sit at. So say you have 5k total in balances and put that on a 15k card. Which is only 33% of that card and overall usage is 12.4% you would probably get a boost. because at least with EQ they will factor in how many balances on total number of cards as well. Ive thought of doing this. But really will only be beneficial if i could have total utilization below 10%. even if i had 60% on 1 card.

Thank you, taxi, for the uplifting and helpful response. I already put $1000 a week towards cards. We have a lot of spend. I am totally aware about interest, utilization, etc and trying to do something that is simpler and better for my reports right now. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.