cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's a limit of one Discover card per person, apparently.

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

There's a limit of one Discover card per person, apparently.

I needed a dining card, and decided to apply for a Discover Open Road, since it's 2% back on dining/restaurants. Application was denied, which was surprising considering I've been a Discover customer for 6+ months with perfect payment history (And have run several thousand dollars through the card too, always PIF) and because I expected to have a good enough credit score/report to get the card.

Oh well, no big deal, I got a Paypal Mastercard instead. Works out even better, considering it's a GE card. I got a letter today stating why I was denied, and this is what it says:

"Thank you for your recent Discover(R) Card application. We appreciate your interest however, because you currently have existing Discover card accounts, we are unable to open an additional account in your name."

Which is understandable, despite me reading stories of some people here having two Discovers, BUT get this.. They decided to go ahead and pull TU anyways. A little infuriating that they pulled my CR, only to see that I'm already a customer and auto deny me. Shouldn't that be done BEFORE the credit report gets pulled?

Good news is my TU FICO is 740 as opposed to the 638 FAKO that Credit Karma gives me. Bad news is I was approved for a Walmart Discover, so I didn't need to trade an inquiry for a free TU FICO.

Not sure how people have managed multiple Discover cards (Cards issued by the Discover bank directly, not cards like the Discover Walmart that is on the Discover network, but is backed by GE). My only guess is that maybe they require the card to be open a certain amount of time (i.e. a year) before you can open up a second one?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Re: There's a limit of one Discover card per person, apparently.

I had no idea you couldn't have more than one Discover card. I have Discover More and have not tried for another, so I can't relate. However, if it's their policy (perhaps new policy) I don't understand why they will pull your credit report. Congrats on the Walmart Discover!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 2 of 12
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Hmmmm...that's interesting, in that it's not what  I was told when I did a PC from More to IT. 

I called in, initially inquiring about the PC to IT from existing More card.  Was told I had 2 options -- either just do the straight across PC (no pulls), or apply for the IT card and keep the More card, as 2 separate accounts.  With the PC (which I took), it's the same account number as the More card, but I can actually use either card until the expiration of the (older) More card.  My kids like that, because they are AU on the More card and have those retro Sony cassette cards in addition to the new IT cards. 

Message 3 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

Numerous people have 2+ Discover cards. You should talk to their CS, explaining that you know people have more than 1 card, so the policy is obviously wrong, blah blah blah.

Message 4 of 12
ssp
Valued Member

I have two.Smiley Wink

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*

Message 5 of 12
HiHiHiHiHiHi
New Contributor

I have two Discover cards and before I had three.

Scores: EQ-798 EX-802 TU-786

CC: |Amex PRG - NPSL| |Citi Simplicity - 22.6K| |CapOne No Hassle Rewards - 20K| |Chase Freedom 17.5K| |CSP 15K| |Discover IT - 7.8K| |Discover More - 6.1K| |GE PC Richard - 4.5K| |Amex Delta Gold - 3.5K| |Citi Goodyear - 2.5K| |CapOne Kohls - 1.5K| |GAP - 1.5K| |Macy's Amex - 1K| |Ann Taylor - 0.5K| |NY&C - 0.5K|
Message 6 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Numerous people have 2+ Discover cards. You should talk to their CS, explaining that you know people have more than 1 card, so the policy is obviously wrong, blah blah blah.

I believe you have to have the account open for a certain time frame before they will grant a 2nd account.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 12
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiHiHiHiHiHi wrote:

I have two Discover cards and before I had three.

I am reading:

"Thank you for your recent Discover(R) Card application. We appreciate your interest however, because you currently have existing Discover card accounts, we are unable to open an additional account in your name."

as saying that our (Discover) exposure to you is big enough, and we don't want to increase it, at this time.   So this isn't a hard limit of cards per person (like apparently Cap One has) but based on credit rating and existing credit limit.   So they needed the pull to decide this.

Message 8 of 12
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

You guys haven't been following closely, they have recently changed their policy and for the new applicants you can only have one Discover CC

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@ukimafija wrote:

You guys haven't been following closely, they have recently changed their policy and for the new applicants you can only have one Discover CC

Actually I just chatted with a Discover rep and told him "I am currently a Discover cardmember am I able to apply for a second card." He replied "Yes you are able to get two Discover cards if approved."

But then I asked "If I approved am I able to combine accounts." He replied "At this time no."

Sorry if I put the quotes wrong Smiley Tongue But I wanted to share what a Discover rep told me

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.