Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These things are kind of a joke

tag
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

These things are kind of a joke

This is just my opinion, but a lot of this is just pretty much a joke, though certainly, it's a joke that makes the FICO folks a LOT of money. I mean they are obviously smart guys, hey they created an industry that creates a score based on information about you that you are pretty much powerless to change (and if you REALLY believe the CRAs will remove false info for you, well I got a bridge to sell you) that affects a LOT of facets of your life, like it or not.They make a lot of money this way, and for that I give them credit (bad pun).

Now talking specifically about the FICO scoring, I think some of it is ridiculous. I will give 2 specific examples that apply to me personally. First, I pulled my scores yesterday. For what it's worth, TU is 763 and EQ is 758. You may be thinking ok, what's your problem dude, and I'll tell you what that is - in the last year, I got a loan for a vehicle, last September. Been a while, but two things - first there are 5, yes 5! hard pulls on my credit dated September 18th from that, where obviously the dealer (never let them arrange financing for you by the way....) shopped me around for the loan. They ALL show as hard pulls instead of as one as you'd THINK it should be (I mean shopping around for a car loan, they are really supposed to get lumped together, from what I read - NOT NECESSARILY TRUE!!!!!)

Then, I got a lousy crapital one mastercard with a lame 500 dollar limit that after 30 years might be a grand if I'm lucky in April.

Due to that, my "Amount of new credit" rating is "Not good". I mean PLEASE! I got a car loan almost a year ago, and one credit card 4 months ago, and suddenly I'm the greatest menace to credit on the planet? **bleep**, seriously. And God forbid I get groceries on that lame-o card and don't pay it before the reporting date or my utilization will shoot up to maybe 20% and OH MY GOD I'm suddenly a threat to the point we gotta call in a Seal Team here to take care of me.

The whole fricking game is a big joke, really, and the joke is on us for playing it, and for paying these people to play their stupid little games. Ok they gotta be smart to come up with these goofy schemes, but it's still just a stupid little game.

And the card companies, they are something else, let me tell you. They are FOREVER scheming ways to try to screw you if you aren't paranoid level careful. Examples: You really have to check your available credit EVERY time you go to use your card, due to pre-authorization pulls that can linger for days, delays in posting your payment that they can do anytime they please, and things like this. You may logically think you have x dollars available when due to things that are not your fault, you do NOT have x dollars availlable. Hopefully you had the sense to have the card declined if it goes over, otherwise, GOTCHA, that'll be 35 bucks thank you very much come again. I just applied trying to get a prime card, for AMEX and Citi. Both were declined, of course, (that's a given) Citi actually declined me simply because I did not carry a balance on the credit card, I pay it in full every month (well before the date to keep the utliization down). Yes that is correct they actually frown on you being responsible. When I called for recon I was told that their policy is you must have a balance on another credit card. Unreal. No recon there I can assure you. I told the rep, well, despite the desires of Citi, I have no intention of carrying a balance and trying again, because then you'll decline me BECAUSE I didn't pay it off, as nuts as you guys are. This isn't a joke, it's a fact with these lunatics. Is it really any wonder we bailed so many of these clowns out?

AMEX declined me citing a litany of faults in my credit I didn't even know existed. They claimed I had "delinquencies". I asked the rep to show me a specific example of one, he couldn't, so I asked where he got his report from so I could see what he's seeing, and he wouldn't tell me either. I just checked them, no delinquencies that I saw, so I dunno maybe on Planet Zerg I have delinquencies somewhere who knows.

Anyway this stuff is just laughable it's not even worth taking seriously. Just my 2 cents, but I think dealing with loan sharks would be better than most of these credit card scum companies. I've been thinking of closing crapital one simply because the limit makes it pretty much a joke and useless. And it's NEVER going up, crapital one is well known for that!

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: These things are kind of a joke

* pulls one tiny sentence out *

All your hard inqs for the auto loan are listed, but as long as they occurred during a narrow defined period, they are "de-duped": only one is counted.

IMO, the stuff on screen 1, including the "good", "not good", etc is fluff.

The negatives, in order, on the left on screen 2 are the factors that actually impact your FICO scores. The cute little diagrams on screen one and the positives on screen two are pretty much eye candy.

--And I've never deluded myself that the CCC's are my friend. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha, to be honest, OP... I had a realization the other day. I've been working hard at my credit and I've learned a ton of information. I was explaining an issue to my SO's parents and I just stopped and laughed n said "wow... this is a really stupid game haha" I was explaining things that sound extremely frivilous when you actually speak them.

Points, Scores, Too much of this, Too little of that... it's quite funny.

ahhahaa... I do love it though. Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 18
score_building
Senior Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

This is just my opinion, but a lot of this is just pretty much a joke, though certainly, it's a joke that makes the FICO folks a LOT of money. I mean they are obviously smart guys, hey they created an industry that creates a score based on information about you that you are pretty much powerless to change (and if you REALLY believe the CRAs will remove false info for you, well I got a bridge to sell you) that affects a LOT of facets of your life, like it or not.They make a lot of money this way, and for that I give them credit (bad pun).

Now talking specifically about the FICO scoring, I think some of it is ridiculous. I will give 2 specific examples that apply to me personally. First, I pulled my scores yesterday. For what it's worth, TU is 763 and EQ is 758. You may be thinking ok, what's your problem dude, and I'll tell you what that is - in the last year, I got a loan for a vehicle, last September. Been a while, but two things - first there are 5, yes 5! hard pulls on my credit dated September 18th from that, where obviously the dealer (never let them arrange financing for you by the way....) shopped me around for the loan. They ALL show as hard pulls instead of as one as you'd THINK it should be (I mean shopping around for a car loan, they are really supposed to get lumped together, from what I read - NOT NECESSARILY TRUE!!!!!)

Then, I got a lousy crapital one mastercard with a lame 500 dollar limit that after 30 years might be a grand if I'm lucky in April.

Due to that, my "Amount of new credit" rating is "Not good". I mean PLEASE! I got a car loan almost a year ago, and one credit card 4 months ago, and suddenly I'm the greatest menace to credit on the planet? **bleep**, seriously. And God forbid I get groceries on that lame-o card and don't pay it before the reporting date or my utilization will shoot up to maybe 20% and OH MY GOD I'm suddenly a threat to the point we gotta call in a Seal Team here to take care of me.

The whole fricking game is a big joke, really, and the joke is on us for playing it, and for paying these people to play their stupid little games. Ok they gotta be smart to come up with these goofy schemes, but it's still just a stupid little game.

And the card companies, they are something else, let me tell you. They are FOREVER scheming ways to try to screw you if you aren't paranoid level careful. Examples: You really have to check your available credit EVERY time you go to use your card, due to pre-authorization pulls that can linger for days, delays in posting your payment that they can do anytime they please, and things like this. You may logically think you have x dollars available when due to things that are not your fault, you do NOT have x dollars availlable. Hopefully you had the sense to have the card declined if it goes over, otherwise, GOTCHA, that'll be 35 bucks thank you very much come again. I just applied trying to get a prime card, for AMEX and Citi. Both were declined, of course, (that's a given) Citi actually declined me simply because I did not carry a balance on the credit card, I pay it in full every month (well before the date to keep the utliization down). Yes that is correct they actually frown on you being responsible. When I called for recon I was told that their policy is you must have a balance on another credit card. Unreal. No recon there I can assure you. I told the rep, well, despite the desires of Citi, I have no intention of carrying a balance and trying again, because then you'll decline me BECAUSE I didn't pay it off, as nuts as you guys are. This isn't a joke, it's a fact with these lunatics. Is it really any wonder we bailed so many of these clowns out?

AMEX declined me citing a litany of faults in my credit I didn't even know existed. They claimed I had "delinquencies". I asked the rep to show me a specific example of one, he couldn't, so I asked where he got his report from so I could see what he's seeing, and he wouldn't tell me either. I just checked them, no delinquencies that I saw, so I dunno maybe on Planet Zerg I have delinquencies somewhere who knows.

Anyway this stuff is just laughable it's not even worth taking seriously. Just my 2 cents, but I think dealing with loan sharks would be better than most of these credit card scum companies. I've been thinking of closing crapital one simply because the limit makes it pretty much a joke and useless. And it's NEVER going up, crapital one is well known for that!

not if you learn the rules of the game Smiley Wink

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 18
dp321
Regular Contributor

Hate the game, don't hate the players. Lottery is stupid game to play, but it funds high level education in some states (like Georiga). For every downside there is, there is a upside. 

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 18
wmarat
Valued Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

The main joke is that FICO predicts nothing. I've stopped checking my scores, I could not care less. I pay in time my bills, I do not have balances (unless I have 0% APR.), so a few points less or more does not matter.

That's why all my reports are frozen. I unfroze report of my choosing only when I closed a deal. 1 pull only.

AMEX declined me citing a litany of faults in my credit I didn't even know existed. They claimed I had "delinquencies". I asked the rep to show me a specific example of one, he couldn't, so I asked where he got his report from so I could see what he's seeing, and he wouldn't tell me either. I just checked them, no delinquencies that I saw, so I dunno maybe on Planet Zerg I have delinquencies somewhere who knows. No bank/CCC is my friend. I do what I think right for me.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 6 of 18
jdogi
Contributor

Do you feel as though you are entitled to credit without having to play their game?  If you don't like it, it's really pretty simple, don't ask them to lend you money.

That said, I do agree, it's all a bit comical.

Message 7 of 18
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

You know the truth is, responding to the last poster, that my intention always WAS to never have credit cards. Frankly I think the companies that peddle these things are really something else, and not in a good way. You might as well let Guido the loan shark who breaka you legs if no pay have access to your data as these people. If you don't pay them, by the time they are done with you, you'll WISH you'd gone to Guido but that's another story (and one I don't care to ever learn more about!).

But that was always my intention - just use my debit card. There are problems with this however. First if some thief rips you off, they can drain your bank account, and you have less protection with a debit card, so good luck in convincing your bank that the credit card swiper (literally) at the restaurant last week ordered 3000 dollars worth of stuff instead of you - they'd just as soon leave YOU hanging so they don't have to eat the loss. With a credit card, you are out at most 50 bucks, and usually even that is waived and it's just taken from credit which is money you don't have, your bank account is still intact.

The second problem with that is credit is used for things that years ago it was probably never envisioned to be used for including getting jobs and insurance for example. So many employers pull your credit, and I don't think not having credit will necessarily result in you being denied, but as fussy as they are these days, why risk it. They look for ANY reason not to hire so why push your luck by being seen as some oddball. But as I mentioned too, insurance costs will be higher as well, you may not be able to rent a place, and unless you're pretty well off when you go to buy a vehicle odds are you have to finance. So you really do need it, unfortunately, to some degree.

But it was how I wanted to do it, to stay away from credit cards altogether. I guess my feeling is NEVER pay these clowns interest. NEVER,. EVER. Pay the thing off in full every month. If you can't do that, you probably don't need what you are getting, and if you really do, find a better way to pay for it. And be paranoid looking out for yourself in the deal monitor your balance and watch for the gotchas as well as fraud. Don't let them "fee" you death in lieu of interest. Like you guys say they are not your friend, no question about it, they really are your enemy, being totally honest here. An enemy you pay a price for dealing with, and a bigger price for not dealing with, one way or another.

I guess what I found to be the real joke of it is all the silly games - Citi for example declining me for PIF instead of carrying a balance. I guess the message that sends is they only want customers they are going to feel assured they are going to make big $$$ in interest off of. That isn't going to be me, so it's just as well. And AMEX's imaginary delinquencies that they can't show ya, yeah, that's something else too.

And the whole utilization issue - with a 500 dollar limit card, even if you max it, so what? In terms of dollars, it's NOTHING. Say you charge something that costs 400 bucks, and before you can pay it off in full which I do a couple of days after every purchase, they report to the CRAs. To these clowns now, you are 80%, and that's a HUGE red flag. Suddenly it's like I was saying, OH MY GOD OH MY GOD call 911. Maybe they should consider other factors so that you can actually USE the thing? Or is it just something that you should keep in a sock drawer until they close it because you can't use it?

See it's ridiculous stuff like this that just slays me. It really is ridiculous if you think about it. Actually we could get into the whole crapital one marketing scheme with these, they claim to be a "conservative" bank (somewhere to the far right of Hitler in terms of CLs I would say) but I've read their real scheme is to keep these low not only to reduce their risk, but also to increase their chances of feeing you to death, but that's really a whole other topic.

Anyway thanks for reading and responding guys. As long as we can laugh and how ludicrous a lot of this is, I guess we are doing ok!

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi LilloEsquillo, and Welcome!!! Smiley Happy

You're absolutely correct in that the world that we live in today, that credit is used for far more than we could have imagined just a few decades ago. I don't think that's a good thing either. Don't even start me ranting about insurance companies checking your credit, and the overstepping of prospective and current employers (outside of the finance industries, and for security clearance) checking your credit. I don't think that I've ever heard of anyone being denied a job, because they had *no credit* history, but I have most certainly heard of people being denied jobs because of *bad* credit history, outside of the finance industry, and without the need for security clearance. I also agree that having and using credit has become more about convenience (for a lot of people) than about financing things. Privacy certainly seems to be a thing of the past.

But, as someone (or several someones) mentioned a little earlier in the thread, education is the key to winning (or at least staying ahead) in the credit world. I can really appreciate your desire to not use credit. I committed myself to a PIF existence as well, but with the understanding that it's perfectly okay to finance things, when the need or desire arises, as long as I have the capacity to pay, an exit strategy, and a back-up plan, should something happen. Case-in-point, for the 1st time since 2008, I've decided to strategically carry a balance on one of my cards that recently offered 0% for 12 months on BTs with no BT fees. It's a very small balance (6k), and I've got the liquidity to PIF at any moment. I charged the balance (it was actually two, for a home remodel project that we'd already planned to do) to see how much $$$ I could make on a 0% BT. I charged the expenses on card to get 2% rewards (cashback), then I immediately BT'd to my NFCU card. The cash set aside for this project is half in a high (well, as high as you can find these days...) interest checking, and half in a 12 month CD that will expire prior to the need to PIF. If something catastrophic were to happen... I can PIF from regular checking, savings, emergency fund, or with a paycheck. I won't pay any interest, and I won't pay any fees.

My point is that you can control the credit, and not let it control you. The idea is to position yourself in a way that credit is only a convenience, not a cyclical need. And, there's no one-size-fits-all formula. Reading your position, I sort of started thinking that you'd be much happier taking your business to credit unions (perhaps exclusively), and to even use secured credit. Use your own cash to secure whatever credit line you want (however high or low), without fees, or hassle, and get the exact same benefits of unsecured credit. You'll keep a positive credit history, have fraud & purchase protection, not be limited on whom you can rent a car from on vacation, not pay higher rates on insurance, but you won't be beholden to any financier (as long as you don't pay late/default). A lot (not all, though) of credit unions don't play the "big bank" games with their excessive/ridiculous 'gotcha' fees. I've been with NFCU and Alliant for several years, and I've never paid any fees at all.

So, just something to think about.

Message 9 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi LilloEsquillo, and Welcome!!! Smiley Happy

You're absolutely correct in that the world that we live in today, that credit is used for far more than we could have imagined just a few decades ago. I don't think that's a good thing either. Don't even start me ranting about insurance companies checking your credit, and the overstepping of prospective and current employers (outside of the finance industries, and for security clearance) checking your credit. I don't think that I've ever heard of anyone being denied a job, because they had *no credit* history, but I have most certainly heard of people being denied jobs because of *bad* credit history, outside of the finance industry, and without the need for security clearance. I also agree that having and using credit has become more about convenience (for a lot of people) than about financing things. Privacy certainly seems to be a thing of the past.

But, as someone (or several someones) mentioned a little earlier in the thread, education is the key to winning (or at least staying ahead) in the credit world. I can really appreciate your desire to not use credit. I committed myself to a PIF existence as well, but with the understanding that it's perfectly okay to finance things, when the need or desire arises, as long as I have the capacity to pay, an exit strategy, and a back-up plan, should something happen. Case-in-point, for the 1st time since 2008, I've decided to strategically carry a balance on one of my cards that recently offered 0% for 12 months on BTs with no BT fees. It's a very small balance (6k), and I've got the liquidity to PIF at any moment. I charged the balance (it was actually two, for a home remodel project that we'd already planned to do) to see how much $$$ I could make on a 0% BT. I charged the expenses on card to get 2% rewards (cashback), then I immediately BT'd to my NFCU card. The cash set aside for this project is half in a high (well, as high as you can find these days...) interest checking, and half in a 12 month CD that will expire prior to the need to PIF. If something catastrophic were to happen... I can PIF from regular checking, savings, emergency fund, or with a paycheck. I won't pay any interest, and I won't pay any fees.

My point is that you can control the credit, and not let it control you. The idea is to position yourself in a way that credit is only a convenience, not a cyclical need. And, there's no one-size-fits-all formula. Reading your position, I sort of started thinking that you'd be much happier taking your business to credit unions (perhaps exclusively), and to even use secured credit. Use your own cash to secure whatever credit line you want (however high or low), without fees, or hassle, and get the exact same benefits of unsecured credit. You'll keep a positive credit history, have fraud & purchase protection, not be limited on whom you can rent a car from on vacation, not pay higher rates on insurance, but you won't be beholden to any financier (as long as you don't pay late/default). A lot (not all, though) of credit unions don't play the "big bank" games with their excessive/ridiculous 'gotcha' fees. I've been with NFCU and Alliant for several years, and I've never paid any fees at all.

So, just something to think about.

+++++++1

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.