Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They said I was LATE!!!

tag
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

They said I was LATE!!!

I have a cc that is due around the 5th of the month.  I always pay it a week early. 

So, Aug. 28th I paid my cc that was due on Sept. 5......On Sept 9th I got a bill that said it was due Oct. 4th......Well, I guess it was lost in the mail, because today I got a bill that said the acct. was past due, I called to make a pymt. and I was told that it was over 30 days late and reported to the cb!!!!!  What???  It was DUE on Oct. 4th!!!  They said that it is a cycle that is factored to determine delinquency....my acct. cycles from the 9th to the 9th of every month.....no payment was received during this 30 days, so it is LATE!!!!   WHAT????  All these years....no problems, then this!!!!!  Please help!!!

takin' it one day at a time
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: They said I was LATE!!!

are you sure that rep knows what they are talking about, have you checked if there was a late on your credit
Message 2 of 12
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Clearly, you were late. You may not have been 30 days late, but you were late. Even if you didn't receive the bill, you knew you had a balance and you could have called CS at any time to find out the amount due and the date it was due.

See if you can speak with a supervisor or manager. Maybe they can forgive this one late. Be cordial when you call and explain the situation. Then again, it all depends on the creditor. Which is?????
Message Edited by Uniqua on 10-16-2008 08:27 PM
Message 3 of 12
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

I spoke with a supervisor who told me I was over 30 days past due.  I DID pay it, they never received it.  I have never been late before....they waived the late fee because of this. But, they said I will still be reported 30 days past due?!?!?  But, HOW can I be 30 days past due?  My due date clearly stated Oct. 4.  In my original post I explained their reasoning, it just doesn't seem right.Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You made the payment online?  If you pay online it's done right then and there and you are given a confirmation number (which could have come in handy here) .  Please tell me you are not paying via snail mail.  Please.
Message 5 of 12
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

I mailed it.....it usually takes 4 or 5 days before it is credited to my acct.  I mailed it Aug. 28.
Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

sunrise wrote:
I mailed it.....it usually takes 4 or 5 days before it is credited to my acct.  I mailed it Aug. 28.

Can you tell if the check was ever presented to your bank for payment?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, sorry that has happened to you.  HTSU is right, there should be record of them presenting the check to your bank.  Did you have sufficient funds?  

Is there any reason why you do not pay your bill online?  

Message 8 of 12
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I apologize, sunrise. I misunderstood you. The way your original post read was like you forgot to pay the September 9th bill, but you had paid the previous bill on 8/28. You are right, you were not 30 days past due. It was very nice of them to waive the late fee though. Not sure what you can do about that reporting. Maybe file a complaint? Has it hit your CR yet? Are you uncomfortable mentioning what company this is? This doesn't seem right!
Message Edited by Uniqua on 10-17-2008 09:34 AM
Message 9 of 12
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

If you paid/sent a check on August 28th for a payment due date of 09/05/08 and they never received the payment, you are definitely over 30 days late. They sent you a new bill saying your next due date was 10/04/08 and you made a payment, however they never received your payment that was due in September. If you made your October payment in late September you wouldn't be 30 days late....but if you paid it close to the 4th (on the 4th or a day or two prior or later), their calculations most likely would place you over 30 days late.

If I'm missing something, sorry.

Via regular mail, you really do need to check with the cc company or your back in a timely manner to ensure they received and credited your payment. It's brutal, but you have to be vigilent if you're not using electronic methods (and even then you need to check)...

Good luck..

Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.