Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things You Should Know

tag
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Things You Should Know

Hello!

After reading a few threads about certain banks, I thought it would be extremely helpful if others could share their experiences with certain companies. Of course it's always a YMMV situation, but I'd be more than interested in learning what not to do with certain companies.

Like, Who's inquiry sensitive? Who's good about CLI? Who's easy/hard to recon with? Who''ll give you an account and then immediately close it if you apply someone else in a certain amount of time? Who'll CLD you if you have high utlization on their card or others? Who loves for you to carry a balance? Who'll penalize you for carrying one?

...and anything else you feel others should know when dealing with certain banks. 

I'll start.

Chase - doesn't appear to be inquiry sensitive. LOL

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Things You Should Know

Don't think it is good idea to try to make a "master thread" of all credit cards and their approval issues.  We have and need a whole forum to do this.  I would recommend just looking up the banks as you can or start one about a particular card/bank.  As FYI, different cards in same bank have different approval standards and particulars so sometimes hard to generalize.  Can pretty much tell you Best Buy card which is now with its third bank in 1 year has generous approval standards as, I would guess, required by contract.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 13
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Don't think it is good idea to try to make a "master thread" of all credit cards and their approval issues.  We have and need a whole forum to do this.  I would recommend just looking up the banks as you can or start one about a particular card/bank.  As FYI, different cards in same bank have different approval standards and particulars so sometimes hard to generalize.  Can pretty much tell you Best Buy card which is now with its third bank in 1 year has generous approval standards as, I would guess, required by contract.

I was actually thinking it was easier to have one thread instead of multiple threads with tidbits of info but maybe others will share your views. 

Message 3 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I guess personal opinion, but much harder for me to look through a thread for all comments about particular card since I basically have to read comments from all others.  It is already hard enough with individual threads as you need to read through to see if hints/tips have changed.  For example, AMEX reccently seems to be pulling from any and all credit bureaus, but if you had asked 6 months ago, it would have been EXP 95% of the time.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 13
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

I guess personal opinion, but much harder for me to look through a thread for all comments about particular card since I basically have to read comments from all others.  It is already hard enough with individual threads as you need to read through to see if hints/tips have changed.  For example, AMEX reccently seems to be pulling from any and all credit bureaus, but if you had asked 6 months ago, it would have been EXP 95% of the time.

@Crashem wrote:

That's good to know!

Speaking of Amex...do they have cards for the everyday person? Ones with average incomes? Their card descriptions, and sometimes high fees, make it seem they're for business purposes. 

Message 5 of 13
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

That's good to know!

Speaking of Amex...do they have cards for the everyday person? Ones with average incomes? Their card descriptions, and sometimes high fees, make it seem they're for business purposes. 

I would say absolutely, yes!

Blue Cash Preferred with 75$ AF:

6% cashback groceries

3% for gas + dept stores

1% other

Blue Cash Everyday with no AF

3% groceries

2% gas/dept stores

1% other

Message 6 of 13
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@Brusilov wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

That's good to know!

6% cashback groceries

3% for gas + dept stores

1% other

3% groceries

2% gas/dept stores

1% other

Blue Cash Everyday it is! (when I leave the garden next year). I thought Amex was out of my league, previously. Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

@Brusilov wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

That's good to know!

6% cashback groceries

3% for gas + dept stores

1% other

3% groceries

2% gas/dept stores

1% other

Blue Cash Everyday it is! (when I leave the garden next year). I thought Amex was out of my league, previously. Thanks!

Don't fully discount the AF version - as long as you spend more than $225/mo on average (the breakeven point) for groceries you'd make more cashback with the Preferred version.

Cap for grocery purchases is $6000 in annual spending.  So given spending in the range of $225-$500/mo that gives an effective cashback % of ~3-4.75% including fee.

Message 8 of 13
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

>Who''ll give you an account and then immediately close it if you apply someone else in a certain amount of time?

Who does this? I see people post about app sprees here every day so I can't imagine it's that common...

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 9 of 13
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@DieGo2SHAE wrote:

>Who''ll give you an account and then immediately close it if you apply someone else in a certain amount of time?

Who does this? I see people post about app sprees here every day so I can't imagine it's that common...

I've heard Barclay's can be touchy about new accounts opened shortly after their card.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.