Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things to say and do ?

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Things to say and do ?

Please tell me what some of you have said to get Credit Line increases. What are some things said to make a Rep give you a higher credit line increase or even an increase in general. Also what have some said in order to get your APR % lowered. What are some of the things you have done in order to get a CLI and/or a lowered APR( ie lowering your util% first and then asking for a lowered APR). I would be very interested in hearing people's remedies and answers. Thanks
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Things to say and do ?

when i called usbank about my apr. i was asking how much was at a certain apr because i wanted to pay that part off and leave the bt rate alone and thats when he said i can lower your rate on the entire account if that would help!!

i don't think in general though there is something magic, if talking to front line customer service, it's either available in there computer to give it to you or not, no matter how you talk to them. now if your talking to someone with power, like underwriter a little more talking about current state of issues with your credit and goals. I found with BofA, knowing my credit report faster then he could even point things out helped me.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

you are expecting to do a large purchase and your other card has a lower\higher apr\cl and you want their to be the card you use....
Message 3 of 10
cobra19
Valued Contributor

oracles........how you handle credit and, specifically, your individual cards speaks volumes about you. I have never asked for a cli and I have rather large lines on all my cards, including my store and gas card. Use your cards, pay them, never....and I mean NEVER.......be late with a payment and you will receive cli automatically.

We are in difficult times right now, and credit will be getting even tighter - at least for a short period of time - so even folks who are getting cli are getting small ones (in general).

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 10
oracles
Valued Contributor

Thanks Cobra for your response and i agree, how you handle credit, does speak volume about the person at that particular time. I myself am happy to have no baddies and all scores over 720, however as you say, "we are in difficult times". I am trying to induce conversation to help people who have been caught in this trap of either CLDing on their card, or ratejacking. They may need to increase their cl on other cards. This is either to decrease their util% again or use it for emergencies. Also, the increase in ratejacking, being able to confront this on going problem. Once again, i am trying to induce conversation. To help thoses who are not as fortunate and was caught in this trap, through no fault of their own, during these difficult times.
BTW- New York Giants are the best lol

Message Edited by oracles on 10-23-2008 08:38 PM
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never ask for one yet either.Dont really need it as of now. (Most likely wouldn't get it anyway)But I would like to think each csr is different and your approach to each should be different.

BTW cobra with your scores you probally don't have to ask for anything..Your like a fico god....

Message 6 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

...when i called usbank about my apr. i was asking how much was at a certain apr because i wanted to pay that part off and leave the bt rate alone ...

were you told that payments are first applied to the lower apr?

Message Edited by score_building on 10-23-2008 05:17 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I knew that... thats why I was callingSmiley Happy I wanted to get my whole balance at the nice fixed 4.9 they were offering. instead I ended up with all but 2k at a nice 1.9!!! and the 2k left is at a 5.9

woohoo

Message 8 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to think each csr is different and your approach to each should be different.

BTW cobra with your scores you probally don't have to ask for anything..Your like a fico god....

yes, but either an increase is showing as available when they check the database or it isn't.  how they handle the call and whether they can or will illuminate any cryptic part of the process, etc. to postive effect may be influenced by approach.

Wow Cobra-  your scores are off the chain!!  and i aint mad at ya.  it's funny though i only remember ever seeing the 'NY Giants...' part in your sig.  See ya and i WOULD wanna be ya, lol.

Message 9 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I knew that... thats why I was callingSmiley Happy I wanted to get my whole balance at the nice fixed 4.9 they were offering. instead I ended up with all but 2k at a nice 1.9!!! and the 2k left is at a 5.9

woohoo

umm, i guess there's a reason why you're a super contributor, you sure know how to show them what you're workin' with, lol  Great rates to pay off even quicker Creditaddict, big time woohoo!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.