cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think twice before you apply for Citi credit card.

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: Think twice before you apply for Citi credit card.

I don't even know 150 people, much less 150 people Citi took AA against. You must get around a lot.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 11 of 85
toppers555
Established Contributor

Well according to you signature you have plenty of open tradelines. This is  reason alone why you may be getting denied , you AAOA may be low. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 12 of 85
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only say the minimumm about citi.Iam not trying to put any lender down iam simply saying what happen and what should we be aware of. I know at lest 150 ppl that had account with them and all got closed for no particular reason.

wow! you know 150 people who randomly got their accounts closed. something seems fishy. 

was it after the big meltdown? 

you say youve applied 10 times in the past 4 years and have gotten denied everytime? 

did you read your denial letters? fix the issues it listed? maybe they are conservative and dont like seeing all your accounts who knows anymore. noone is forcing you to apply for their cards. you just want something that you cant have. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 13 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess i was just thinking maybe is the score maybe the inq maybe the new accounts.Common now you really think its me ?

Message 14 of 85
leoment
Frequent Contributor

I'm also gonna have to agree to disagree.  Citi was the first prime lender I got a card from.  They approved me for the mtvU card when I was 18 for a 4k limit - before that the only other credit card I had was my Target card (at either a $500 or $1k limit, I don't remember).  Citi also auto CLI to 8k after either a year or year in a half of good history.  I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble being approved, but they definitely are a good bank to deal with, in my experience.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 15 of 85
calihlove75
Established Contributor

I have been denied twice by Citi, but on my last denial I was able to talk to a manager who was on the phone with me for at least 30 minutes telling me what I needed to do to get approved and what they look for. I found it very helpful. He could have told me to go fly a kite but he wanted to help. From what I gathered, they do not like a bunch of new accounts which most of my cards were aquired in 2012 (as well as a bunch of student loans) . He said everyhing looked great and if not for all the new accounts, I would have been approved.. I will try again in 6 months of no apps/new accounts.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 16 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

i try to.. i just dont try to get denied and waste inq every time.Look i know they are good with some ppl but i can only speak for my self and dont disecurage any one to apply for the card i just say be cautious

Message 17 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AAOA is 5.5 and 12 the oldest tr line

Message 18 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is so hard to believe me but so easy to believe some one that makes money of you from the intrest rate.Think about it

Message 19 of 85
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess i was just thinking maybe is the score maybe the inq maybe the new accounts.Common now you really think its me ?

im not saying its you but come on! 

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

look over your denial letters if you still have them and see what they say. fix that and apply if youd like. 

i was denied by chase 3 times and the 4th they approved me. 

the letters always said not enough revolving accounts. not enough established credit history. 

obviously i had no credit. after a year and a half with 2 cards and 5 months with a third they let me in! 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 20 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.