cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking About Applying For A Chase Credit Card!?!?

tag
JazzyMale

Thinking About Applying For A Chase Credit Card!?!?

Long time reader...FIRST TIME POSTER!  LOVE this website...it's been a great resource for me as I started on the road to rebuilding my credit in May 2010.

Question?  Curious to know how difficult it is to get a Chase Credit Card?  Is the Freedom or Slate easiest to get?

I've been banking with Chase for quite some time now and was thinking about applying for one of their

cards in a few mos.

FYI No bankruptcies; roughly 6-8 inq on all 3 CR's; quite a few collections (all 3-6 yrs old and paid); last late payment over 2 yrs ago - Siggy below

*** I also bank at a Credit Union- - My CU just raised my credit card limit from $500 (got the card in Dec 2010) to $5k!!!!  I would definitely advise folks looking to rebuild their credit to seek out a CU.  They seem to be VERY consumer friendly***

Starting Score 05/04/10: TU 503, EXP 556, EQ 465 (All scores pulled by Mortg Lender)
Current Score 09/23/11: TU 647, EXP 649, EQ 593 (All scores pulled by Mortg Lender)
Goal Score 2012: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thinking About Applying For A Chase Credit Card!?!?

Pretty sure Freedom is easier to get.  Check out whogavemecredit dot com and compare your scores to who got/who didn't get approved Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

You really don't know til you try. Since your CO are paid and it does show on your CR that it's paid? I would go ahead and pick out a Chase card you like and hit apply. If for some odd reason you get declined, I would call to recon.

Message 3 of 7
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I just app'd for a Chase Freedom today and was declined--they pulled Experian but did not tell me the score.  As per this site, my TU and EQ scores are in the low to mid-600's, don't know the Experian score.  I have one baddie--a charged off (yet paid off via CA) HSBC/Household credit card.  No collections and no judgments (on the Experian and TU reports, but two satisfied tax liens showing on EQ).  On the positive side, I have a one year old Cap One credit card--never late and a 5 month old car loan--never late.  When I called recon, the rep said that the HSBC was the factor, although I found that odd because the CO was from 2008.  Never the less, I was approved for a Walmart store card last night, so I'm happy that my efforts have not been in vain.  I plan on apping for a credit card through my credit union in November. I know they use EQ and unfortunately that's the report that the two satisfied tax liens are on. I agree that the credit unions are a bit more lenient and gracious in extending credit...and I hope mine displays that trend when I app.  Hope this information is of some usefulness to you.  I do plan on apping for the Chase Freedom card again this time next year, after I purchase the house in early 2012.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought CCCs were required to give you your score if they decline you?

Message 5 of 7
JazzyMale

Thanks for the responses!

Starting Score 05/04/10: TU 503, EXP 556, EQ 465 (All scores pulled by Mortg Lender)
Current Score 09/23/11: TU 647, EXP 649, EQ 593 (All scores pulled by Mortg Lender)
Goal Score 2012: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I know, I thought so, too.  I asked the recon rep and she said she couldn't tell me.  I was aching to know my Experian.  Guess I'll have to wait for the denial letter to find out.  I wish I knew where I could get an Experian FICO.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.