Did you mean: 

Thinking Of Closing BOA BBR

tag
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking Of Closing BOA BBR

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It may seem trivial (and it isn't a huge amount) but I think of it in terms like this: 

100 BBR-One auto bill a month, one payment a month.  Can be extremely low if desired.   Does not matter what it is. 

What you say is true. But there comes a point where there are too many people using the card to spend very little compared to their annual rewards. After that crosses a certain thresholds, banks start noticing. The "extremely low spend for a relatively hefty reward" factor only lasts so long as a significant amount of users aren't taking advantage of that low spend possibility.

I am a bit curious to see how the average BBR holder uses their card. I feel like -most- average users just use their cards wherever and don't really care. BBR is actually a good option for a low spender who wants some simple rewards and only one card. Then again, I had never heard of BBR before becoming a myfico member (same with Sallie Mae) so I wonder how many BBRs are out there compared to BoA's other cards (I've seen the Cash Rewards in the wild, but never a BBR). I do agree that if BBR crosses that threshold it will either be discontinued or nerfed. That doesn't bother me since I don't waste my time worrying about it; if it happens, that's fine and I'll look at my options then. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 41 of 46
stevenngu92
Contributor

Card is a keeper for me, unless it gets nerfed. The card pays for netflix and i don't have to do anything except set up bill pay once.

Amazon Store Card ($6000) Amex BCE ($10000) Amex PRG (NPSL) BofA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) Best Buy Store Card ($5000) Chase Freedom ($2500) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7900) Citi Prestige ($5000) Discover It ($10500) Walmart Discover ($6000) Wells Fargo CB ($4700)
Message 42 of 46
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

As others have posted, the BBR can earn an easy $25 per quarter, or $30 per quarter if you have an eligible Bank of America bank account. Even if you don't bank with BoA, you can open a savings account with as little as $300, IIRC, and then would get the extra $20 over the year, almost like earning another 7% on the $300. 

If you set the bonus to go into the checking or savings account directly, it's easy to put the charge and payment on auto-pilot for an easy $120 per year. 

You likely could allocate the credit lines in different ways, such as leaving only $1000 on the BBR and the Travel Rewards card would have almost the same limit.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 43 of 46
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

As others have posted, the BBR can earn an easy $25 per quarter, or $30 per quarter if you have an eligible Bank of America bank account. Even if you don't bank with BoA, you can open a savings account with as little as $300, IIRC, and then would get the extra $20 over the year, almost like earning another 7% on the $300. 

If you set the bonus to go into the checking or savings account directly, it's easy to put the charge and payment on auto-pilot for an easy $120 per year. 

You likely could allocate the credit lines in different ways, such as leaving only $1000 on the BBR and the Travel Rewards card would have almost the same limit.

Sorry,ncard is already closed ... Thnx for your input though

Message 44 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great decision,OP. Smiley Happy
Message 45 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I put Hulu on it for $7.99 a month. Get $30 a quarter and pay less than $24 a quarter. Easy free Hulu plus $6 bucks.

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.