Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about Lowes card for 5% off

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Thinking about Lowes card for 5% off

I am going to be doing quite a bit of work on our house over the next couple of months and am debating the Lowes card for the 5% off (would give me about $500 over the next 2 months)

I actually had the application opened in my browser and almost submitted.  Not sure if I REALLY need a new account.

Decisions, decisions.....

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Thinking about Lowes card for 5% off

They also have deferred interest promotions that might work out for you, read the info online for them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 26
riker20
New Contributor

Applying in store should get you a higher inital limit than submitting online.  However, with use of the GE backdoor number to the underwriters, you can easily get a higher limit.

NFCU Flagship - 50k | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 38k | AMEX BCE - 29.3k | Best Buy Store Card - 21k | Furniture Row - 19.7k | Lowes Card - 16k | NFCU LOC - 15k | Amazon Store - 12k | Macy's - 6000
Message 3 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I love mine. Used it for a fridge in 09 w a $500 limit, now it's at $12000!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

5% isn't worth it. Do what I do is much better!

Go to USPS get a movers package you'll get a 10% coupon, then use your Freedom card since MARCH category = 5 points per dollar now ! (just recently added!)

so that's 10% + 5 UR points worth a minimum of 15% total.   Since I get a redemption of around 4 cents average per point (united flying to asia) for me that's like 30% off! Smiley Happy

there are ways to get more sneaky if you want.... but we won't go there! Smiley Happy and no i'm not sharing that info, it's borderline stealing! and no i won't do it either. 

Oh you can also use Cardpool or plastic jungle for 10% off Lowes and Home Depot gift cards to use + 10% movers coupon = 20%  + points earned for buying off cardpool etc = 21% easily.

edit : note Home Depot will honor Lowes movers package coupon as well.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 26
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I love my Lowes card.  5% discount on all purchases or special 0% on special purchases.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply!

either in store or at home, just carry that little backdoor number with you... as soon as it pops up approved call and ask them to increase it to $25k.

you think that sounds crazy but I have seen it time and time again and you have what appears to be solid scores and solid limits with other banks... GE is an easy one to instant increase and Lowes and CareCredit with GE seem to be the most huge increase cards at time of approval!

Message 7 of 26
CS800
Super Contributor

The 5% is great to offset some sales tax. For example, the sales tax in MA is 6.25% so if I go to Lowes in MA, the 5% tends to compensate a bit

Like LS mentioned they have some great 0% finance deals, that's why I got his card.

I use my military ID for 10% off and buy in NH. The card came in handy when I was renovating my house for the special financing they had on flooring and appliances. Reason why they gave me a CL of $16K

Message 8 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

They also do 5.99% apr for 84 months often too.

Dang, maybe I need to call for a $25k limit! Haha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

Since my father was a military vet and lowes covers immediate family, would they also take a movers coupon with the discount or no? =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.