Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about Wally CC just for FICO

tag
CEOriginal
Contributor

Thinking about Wally CC just for FICO

I'm wondering how many of you guys have the standard WalMart CC just to see their TU FICO score?

I shop at WalMart veeerrrryyyy little, mostly because it's so far that the prices don't make up for the inconvenience, but also because it's the Place Where Happiness Dies.

So, let's say that I sacrifice a HP for it. Is it worth it if I SD the card upon opening it? 

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
cqdealer711
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thinking about Wally CC just for FICO

free fico every month + really nice CLI possibilites.  Its worth it to me.  

Starting FICO Score: 10/1/12--EQ 512 | TU 492 | EX 524
Current FICO Score: 2/22/14--EQ 705 | TU 703 | EX 716
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
CEOriginal
Contributor

@cqdealer711 wrote:

free fico every month + really nice CLI possibilites.  Its worth it to me.  

Oh they give nice CLI's?? I see so many GE stories on this board, but usually skip them because I didn't have much interest haha. That may sway my decision a bit. 

Message 3 of 18
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

You can count me in with those who got the card just for the FICO. I definitely think it's worth it; I rather have the card than pay $20 to get a credit score every month (I probably wouldn't bother every single month if I didn't have the card, so it's nice to have it for a recent score). 

On another note, I also have the Walmart Discover so I can use it wherever to keep it from becoming inactive. If you're also approved for the Discover then you won't have to go all the way to Walmart to keep it active (or bother buying anything online from them either). 

Message 4 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:

I'm wondering how many of you guys have the standard WalMart CC just to see their TU FICO score?

I shop at WalMart veeerrrryyyy little, mostly because it's so far that the prices don't make up for the inconvenience, but also because it's the Place Where Happiness Dies.

So, let's say that I sacrifice a HP for it. Is it worth it if I SD the card upon opening it? 

If you're never going to use it in your case it's not worth the HP.

Go for the cards that better you ...

Rewards,miles, cash back etc etc 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 18
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

About the HP, obviously only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

But one year from now, you will have had a year's worth of credit scores and the HP won't affect your score. Two years from now, the HP will be gone and you will have had two years of tracking and and hence of improving your scores. Three years from now you will have forgotten the HP and you will have had three full years of tracking. 

Who knows, maybe by then TU08 might even have become relevant Smiley Wink 

Message 6 of 18
CEOriginal
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@CEOriginal wrote:

If you're never going to use it in your case it's not worth the HP.

Go for the cards that better you ...

Rewards,miles, cash back etc etc 

At this point, for my spending (and still-recovering credit), I'm not looking for another rewards CC. I'm going to garden for at least a year. I was thinking of the Wally CC as my last app in awhile, just to keep tabs on my TU score. Especially since it seems that it's my weakest report. 

Message 7 of 18
CEOriginal
Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

About the HP, obviously only you can decide if it's worth it for you.

But one year from now, you will have had a year's worth of credit scores and the HP won't affect your score. Two years from now, the HP will be gone and you will have had two years of tracking and and hence of improving your scores. Three years from now you will have forgotten the HP and you will have had three full years of tracking. 

Who knows, maybe by then TU08 might even have become relevant Smiley Wink 

Good point. SIde note, does anyone know how much inactivity would cause a closure?

Message 8 of 18
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

I got it just for the free FICO score. I do use the card.

Credit Rebuild Start Date (3/12)
Oakland County CU Visa ($500) | Capital One Quick Silver One ($600) | Capital One Secured MC ($200) | Walmart ($1600) | PayPal Credit ($1000) | Jared ($3500) | Victoria's Secret ($850) | Gettington ($3500) | Amazon Store Card ($850) | NewEgg Preferred ($2400) | Discover IT ($1500) | Dillard's AMEX ($1500) Target ($1500) | Overstock Store Card ($1200) | Kohl's ($1500) | Old Navy ($650) | Macy's Store Card ($800) | The Limited ($350)
Message 9 of 18
android01
Valued Contributor

The FICO score alone is worth it to me, and it's free.  It's the same model that is offered here at myFico for Experian (the "08" model).

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.